HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Mobbsie,

I like your gun trade mark. Besides, guns were mostly blackened when thay were cast iron, as far as I know. Now you have some sparkle along side :)

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Very nice work on the cannons and breechings, I also do like the trademark brass ends to the cannons - different and an effective change in contrast.

Now that he who has no name has proclaimed an Aggy build, I can see the Sjorsian wars military buildup is in full swing again and Augie is rattling sabers about a LARGE next build, ho hum!

Nice work man and keep it up.

Ben

You're still working at your usual pace I see... The guns and their tackle look fantastic. I also like the look of the cannons unpainted on the ends of the barrels. You're doing an outstanding job with the Aggie.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Fine looking cannon, mobbsie.  Although the one does look like it's pointing into an outhouse, or as I think you might say... a portable loo....

Anyway...Great work!

Cheers,

Jim

:cheers:

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Hi Mobbsie,

Great work on the guns. Did they come with a brass flintlock or did you add that?

Thanks,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

looking very nice Mobbsie.......superb!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Now those are really huge guns mate! :o I could imagine it now: your Aggy plus Sjors' Mirage and San Ildefonso... now that's  really threatening partnership, you guys would be unstoppable B)

Very nice work on those guns especially with those flintlocks and brassy barrel ends my friend, they're a real treat or should I say, threat ;)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Guys,

Wow, I did'nt expect that responce, thank you all so very much.

Mort,  the kit came with the flintlocks supplied, I would love to have the ability and skill to turn stuff out like that, one problem with them is that they are easily knocked off.

Pierre, you are absolutely right, the bigger wheels should have gone on the front and thank you for pointing that out, fortunatly I had'nt glued them on so they were easily changed over.

Jim,  someone told me that "he who cannot be named" was lurking in the food store looking for lobsters so I thought I'd give him a scare, trouble is he dont scare easy. 

Jim Lad, can you contact the police and let know I have an intruder in my food store, Popeye worked hard for them lobsters.

Aldo, "he who cannot be named" is a fickle ally and cannot be trusted, he can turn at any time.

Voldamart, I'm building as fast as I can, be patient.

Carl,  I do like a bit of sparkle.

Ben,  Voldamart only has one ship with sails so Augie is quite safe at the moment, both are aggro minded devils and prone to a bit of sabre rattling, so long as thats all it is.

Thats it for now gents, sorry no update pics and thanks again for the very kind words.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Mobbsie,

Can you post a close up of the flintlocks?

Thanks,

Mort

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Hi Mort,

Just for you mate, a pic of the flintlocks as they come with the kit.

If I can be of any further help dont hesitate to ask.

mobbsie

As you can see they are tiny, also they have the striker

post-493-0-69600400-1364861108_thumb.jpg

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Thanks for the picture. I thought adout adding them to my Snake but after viewing those pictures I guess not. They really are small.

Mort

Hi Mort,

If you need to know more about the flintlocks I'm sure there are a few hillbillys out there who still use the old Kentucky. :D  :D  :D

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Keith,

Just trying to stir some blood, I read somewhere that the Kentucky rifle was the weapon of choice with the woodsmen and also the mountain men, long barrel and very accurate, hated by the any opposing side whether it be brit or yankee.

Sort of compliment really.

mobbsie

mobbsie

LOL, like some of the Beverly Hillbillies ricochet shootin'.

Heck the whole state of IL is in bad shape when Jeff Foxworthy starts "you might be from IL if" jokes. Hills or no, I like living in the Southern rural part of IL. As a navy brat I experienced the east coast from CT to MS (gulf coast) and loved it, so actually I'm a born yankee. Don't have to worry about stirred blood here. Just Smith, no Hatfield or McCoy blood here. Beside I'm like ole Snuffy, just watchin' out fer them thar revenuers, 'specially with the 15th rollin around any day now (that's income tax day in the US :angry: ).

McCoy to Kirk: I'm a doctor, not a hillbilly..... :dancetl6:

I'm shocked the Aggy came with the flintlocks, thats is really cool, I'm not sure I've even paid attention to whether guns typically have them (on models that is). As yet I haven't bought a ship with guns. I can't even imagine rigging the 64 guns Aggy carried. It is always amazing just how detailing the cannon correctly and to scale has such a huge effect of the overall deck aesthetics. 

As I recall Aggy (or was it bacon and eggs) was Nelsons favorite. She was a great battleship of the line. Cant remember how many of that line were built but Nelson seemed to think she was better. I haven't studied the subject very deep but was there a large difference in that line of 3rd rates. If I recall, Nelson considered her faster, was that due to shape or center of mass. As i study how different woods were used at different heights I'm continually amazed at the engineering feat accomplished with what we would call primative tools.

I think we may underestimate the level of engineering which we have trouble reproducing today. It just kinda shows its not just technology that creates mangnificence. Just as any one of MSW's builder with a dremel has more technology then they, just as the cell phone of today are WAY more powerful then what Apollo used.

Mobbsie, as a proud former Kentuckian, the Kentucky long rifles gave birth to snipers. Things have come a long from then up to when a Navy seal was able to snipe pirates off of a freighter off the Somalian coast.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

If you've ever actually shot a Kentucky Long Rifle, you'll know it was a pretty accurate weapon for it's time.  But what really made it special were the folks who knew how to use them.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Yes as with any tool or piece of equipment, the performance is all dependant on the user. A rifle needs a good shootist just as a fine musical instrument needs a trained musician. The thing that makes them both good is the same. Practice, practice and more practice, plus knowing your equipment very well, of course that come with Practice. Ship building is no different.

In my experience the difference betweeen being great and mediocre at anything is the willingness to have dedication and persistence. Knowledge and skills follow these. So many in our world of I WANT IT NOW, have lost the understanding of Patience. The concept of how much time is SHOULD take to become good at a task is under estimated by many. Along with the misunderstanding that failure is just one step closer towards success.

Such great discussion over one single detail, a flintlock, is an example of part of that learning. I'll never look at another cannon without looking at the flintlocks. I've learned a new skill which puts me one step closer to where I hope to be as a model shipwright. I'm looking forward to years of new learning as I can see where this hobby never stops teaching. Thats one of the reasons I chose it .... or did it chose me? Somethings I feel like I'm infected, I cant stop think about ship building. Thats when you know you've found the right place.

Thanks to all the masters that have helped me along the way. All education should be as free and enjoyable as a day on MSW. :dancetl6:

Off topic but shooting flintlock longrifles is my second favorite hobby.

longrifle002.jpg

There is nothing like the smell of burning black powder in the morning! And yes, they are deadly accurate... just as good as any modern firearm at a couple hundred yards (though you can't shoot as far, of course ).

Edited by channell

these rifles were cool in the way they could be perched in the  'Y' of a tree,  and held steady enough to split a feather.  Daneil Boone and Davy crockett were well know stories in my younger days.  they had 'em on TV.........never missed a show ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Dont forget the Rifleman with chuck connors, Popeye... I think we may be showing our age here a bit.

...of course that was a Winchester I believe.

And dont forget Sharpes Series (Tammy and I are watching them now, we're up to 6), 3 shots in a minute

High Ho Silver, Away....

Edited by themadchemist

yea,  but he used a winchester rifle....lever action....never missed that one either.  ;)

kinda made you wonder why the lone ranger used silver bullets.......there wasn't a wearwolf threat around there,  as far as I knew..........LOL!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just a hair off topic (Mark will probably send our the Post Police) but there's a new Lone Ranger movie coming out with Johnny Depp playing Tonto.  I can't miss this :D  :D .  Jay Silverheels will be rolling over, as they say.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Guys,

Channel, thats one very nice looking piece you have there, I should imagine that with the barrel that long the kick must be tremendous. I would love the experience of fireing one.

I can remember most of the programes you have mentioned gents but as a kid my fav was " The last of the Mohekans" not sure but I think it may have included Davy Crocket.

I was thinking about Jed Clampit when I made ref to hillbillies, I fell in love with Elly May, she was a real cracker, but then I was only about 13 or 14.

Keith you are so right in that we learn so much by discussion and watching, I learned a lot from my father in law about DIY which has held me in good stead, I also learned not to follow his example with electrics ( he nearly blew me up ), another lessen learned.

Back to my build, my timber has arrived so I will be able to make a start on the transom and then the stern galleries, I have to finish the just jobs I started whilst waiting so thats the rest of the guns, about 24 of them, then the train tackle, there are 48 of those. I have just recieved the 2mm blocks and hooks I ordered so it's all systems go.

I'm away over the weekend so wont be back untill Monday then I can make a start finishing those jobs, hopefully I'll start on the planking again towards the end of the week.

I have to ask your help guys, I'm thinking of scale planks for my second planking and dont have a clue how the get the right length, the full plank length is 76cm with an LOA of 130cm, the width of the planks supplied is 5mm, if anybody can help I would be most appreciative, math is not my subject and never has been, in fact my first school report for maths was " Tony is unutterably lazy " not a report I'm proud of.

OK thats me, if anybody speaks to Frank please send him my regards.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie,

The hull plamks would have been in the region of 25 feet long (about119mm at 1:64) and in various widths, but averaging, say, 12 inches wide (4.75mm at 1:64).

As for maths, my dad always said that there were only three kinds of people, those who could count and those who couldn't. :D

John

Just a hair off topic (Mark will probably send our the Post Police) but there's a new Lone Ranger movie coming out with Johnny Depp playing Tonto.  I can't miss this :D  :D .  Jay Silverheels will be rolling over, as they say.

Nah... I'll be running interference to keep them away...  :)

Carry on Mobbsie.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Gents,

YI-HAAA, we have moderator permission to stay off topic, got nuthin to say now darn it !!!!!!!!!! Oh sod it have a drink :cheers:

John, thanks for the answer to my question mate, that really is most helpfull and will be used I think. Your dad was a better mathmatician than me, at least he could count to three  er  two errrrrrr three I think. :D  :D

The Brits had the old Brown Bess, good in it's day but a piece of junk really. Could'nt punch a hole in a pumpkin at 60 yards, how could they expect to win any war with stuff like that, it was however quicker to load than the Kentucky, if nothing else we Brits could load a rifle or cannon quicker than most, in many cases thats what made the difference, rate of fire and weight of shot.  :)  :)

If the states were still under Brit control we would have mucked it up just as we are here, having said that your leaders are doing a pretty good job of that, or so I hear. :(  :(

Dont get me wrong, I'm not jumping on the political bandwagon here, at 01:05 this is where my mind is taking me.

I'm going to bed now guys, I have to get up at 05:30 and hit the road at 06:15, be good.

mobbsie

mobbsie