'Ideal model workshop' 61 years ago - have we moved on?

From January/February 1960 WORKSHOP magazine: an article on what they consider the ideal workshop for modelmaking.

No 3D printers or internet radios but most of the items still look appropriate.  (Don't miss the jokes scattered through the pages)

1079680014_shop1.thumb.jpg.5299d96fbe6beb5f3b80e638718c9ae5.jpg1209006345_shop2.thumb.jpg.aed4860133d59e60bfd6fb32d4c1e210.jpg1855774253_shop3.thumb.jpg.b2536de5bdf528588c61c71cf4dea23d.jpg1127599887_shop4.thumb.jpg.ebb642a6ffa898199d28e021cafd71b6.jpg1571870237_shop5.thumb.jpg.a389fa3de03fba2b47cc8301fb2e4de6.jpg1784853410_shop6.thumb.jpg.53e2ddfde3de30b83417fefcb3310523.jpg376283933_shop7.thumb.jpg.aca734cef849ba6d42fbf882bdad1c82.jpg1832551006_shop8.thumb.jpg.323a7869c6f1191639649f1bf8d70d19.jpg1704153265_shop9.thumb.jpg.6cde3c329b0e71866fb84e1579b004e3.jpg240117055_shop10.thumb.jpg.33414f48dffaa9b834a7ad77aaea59e3.jpg

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Absolutely 🤐

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Model "what"? 1/2 scale stuff? 😄 Looks like a full blown wood shop, something we had in high school back in the day.

Edited by Dave_E
Addition

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

I don't think they presented this as a workshop for making models. By "model shop" they mean it's an example of a woodworking shop on which to model your own. Interesting that they included a Shopsmith.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Third page down: the Dremel Moto Shop.  I had one of those and I pity anyone else who had one.  My parents bought mine for me at serious expense to them.  The disappointment that saw created in the three of us is felt by me to this day.  It ran at one speed - too fast.  Enough noise to startle anyone not ready for it - think "lawn mower over gravel".   Hand numbing vibration that made following a line impossible.  It used pinned blades that came in a variety of sizes, all too large.  The flex-shaft accessory in use in the photo was useless.  The motor speed, while too fast for scroll saw use, was too slow for a flex shaft tool.  The "flex-shaft" was one in name only.  Trying to flex it would create enough friction within the shaft to drop the motor speed and then pressure on the cutting tool would bring the motor to a near stall. 

The hedge trimmer did seem a bit out of place.

As a child, I had my own workbench with real tools, a defensive measure by my father to keep me away from his stuff.  The only power tool was a bench mounted vibrating jig saw.  You could actually touch the blade. Without getting cut.  It worked for balsa and other soft woods.

Roger

Roger:

That was my first power modeling tool.  Got it as a Christmas present when I was in 5th grade IIRC.  I had it sitting around for years after moving on to better tools and it finally was gone - maybe at my parent's hands - I just don't remember.  But I used it a lot back then. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Looks more like my high school shop class, scary how big all that stuff was then. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

2 hours ago, Charles Green said:

Third page down: the Dremel Moto Shop.  I had one of those and I pity anyone else who had one.  My parents bought mine for me at serious expense to them.  The disappointment that saw created in the three of us is felt by me to this day.  It ran at one speed - too fast.  Enough noise to startle anyone not ready for it - think "lawn mower over gravel".   Hand numbing vibration that made following a line impossible.  It used pinned blades that came in a variety of sizes, all too large.  The flex-shaft accessory in use in the photo was useless.  The motor speed, while too fast for scroll saw use, was too slow for a flex shaft tool.  The "flex-shaft" was one in name only.  Trying to flex it would create enough friction within the shaft to drop the motor speed and then pressure on the cutting tool would bring the motor to a near stall. 

Charles,

I have one of these today, minus the flex shaft. And you are absolutely right on all points. It's amazing that I can get anything cut right.

Tom

Food for thought:

The cartoon about the $15 saw blade..  About $145 today..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

It is sobering to see the sorts of tools that were available back then.  I am sure that many of the specific choices were determined by the magazine's advertising department.  I began this about ten years later and it helps make clear why I made some of the choices that I did.  Choices that my retrospectascope shows were far less than ideal.  

I remember that a Shopsmith was considered a big deal by some back then.  I have never seen one in person, but I worked for someone who had one.  My impression from back then is that it did a fairly wide variety of jobs.  None all that well, and the time necessary to reconfigure it was significant as well as being a source of frustration.   I suspect that one of its gifts was as an inspiration for later designers of single purpose machines with a reasonable footprint.  

A three wheel bandsaw is an awful, awful design,  I wonder if their existence was because the two wheel models of the time were huge and expensive monsters? 

One machine that we do not have at a modeler's scale size is a crosscut with horizontal rather than chop blade movement.  When needed, it would be handy to have.  But the reality is that the few times that it would be needed could never justify either the money spent for it or the bench space it would take up.

In photo #22 - the philosophy behind the function of the Belsaw machine is just as valid today.  It is to be grateful that we have better ways to do it now.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Interesting to see what they had then and considered ideal and what we have now.   But then, our tools are more sized according to our needs and some magazines ideal workshop.  Yes, advertisors did and do play a part in those publications.  Last time I saw a Popular Mechanics with their articles about "must have" tools proved that.

Come to think of it, we modelers see similar things about "must have" tools on a regular basis.

As for the Shopsmith... my dad always wanted one and when he retired, we kids bought him one.  He loved it and made a lot wonderful things on it.  My youngest brother has it now and uses it a lot for his custom furniture business.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I used to have subscriptions to Popular Science and Popular Mechanics when I was young, took about a months allowance for each one. Stopped then in my 20s when they switched from "Take your hammer, and build this house, car etc." to "This is a hammer, and this is what you do with it" type articles.

That picture of the Shopsmith brings back memories... My dad used it for a wide variety of projects, from cabinets to a pool deck. I built a music synthesizer during high school in the mid 70's and used the Shopsmith to build the keyboard and system cabinets. That was my first real introduction to woodworking.

John

Current Build: Rattlesnake (Model Shipways 1:64)