Woodland Scenics, for example, purvey a couple of products for simulating water. Doubtless other model railway-centric manufacturers also have their own versions.

Finished: Billings Nordkap / Billings Boulogne Etaples / Billings Evelyn / Billings Elbjorn

In progress: Billings HMS Endeavour / Billings HMS Bounty / Caldercraft HMS Pickle / Amati HMS Vanguard / Caldercraft HMS Victory / Caldercraft HMS Badger / Caldercraft HMS Diana / Caldercraft HMS Snake / Amati HMS Pegasus

In the dim distant past: Model Slipway Wyeforce / Mountfleet Models Boston Typhoon (abandoned build) / Bluejacket Charles P. Notman (abandoned)

SeaWatch Books published a book by Justin Camarata called - Waterline Dioramas: A Modelbuilder's Artform  with a review here on MSW -

It might be out of print but if you can borrow one it will be a good read.

Check the model railroad sites as they do a lot of realistic water.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Do a search on YouTube, there are a number of videos on making water for dioramas.  Woodland Scenics has produced some as have a number of modelers.

39 minutes ago, kurtvd19 said:

SeaWatch Books published a book by Justin Camarata called - Waterline Dioramas: A Modelbuilder's Artform  with a review here on MSW -

It might be out of print but if you can borrow one it will be a good read.

Check the model railroad sites as they do a lot of realistic water.

I have this book and it is fantastic.  Highly recommend it!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I thouoght I found a cheaper version of Camarata's book, lister for 67 euro's. Following the link ended up at an american sellerfor 125 dollars. Nice change rates..... :(

I have seen very convincing water doen by paper and arcrylic gel. As Mike says: everyting depends on scale, and situation to be depicted (heavy seas need other techniques that harbour scenes.)

Jan

Here is a text I wrote some years ago on the topic: https://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/tips/makingwaves.html, with links to examples.

Using epoxi-resins to imbed plastic models can be dangerous, as the curing reaction is exothermic and can melt down your model ... 

Personally, I tend to go down the plaster-road (traditional plaster-of-Paris or the modern acrylic-based repair plasters). You can shape it wet and carve it dry. When completely(!) dry, give it a good coat or two in sanding filler to close the pores and you are ready for painting. Wave crests and likes are build from acrylic gel to which one can add 'micro-balloons' for volume. Note that some areas the water may have a glossy appearance, while the surface in other areas is disturbed by gusts of wind. I give the whole surface a good and wet coating of glossy acrylic varnish. The disturbed areas are indicated by stippling on acrylic varnish with stiff bristle-brush. 

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thread wander alert!!

The master modeler, the late Gerald Wingrove, once set a waterline model of a Bengal Pilot Brig at anchor on a sea made from a block of Mahogany with thousands of tiny ripples sculpted with a gouge; the Mahogany then finished bright.  While not realistic it was an elegant setting for a beautiful model.

I personally find waterline models at anchor in calm water to be very attractive.

Roger

A guy with the handle “Sargentx” used to post on the other site and created a series of very helpful tutorials on color theory, atmosphere, seascapes, etc. I think he’s a professional artist and made some breathtaking models. His seascape series is here:

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=155661

HTH,

Keith

6 hours ago, el cid said:

A guy with the handle “Sargentx” used to post on the other site and created a series of very helpful tutorials on color theory, atmosphere, seascapes, etc. I think he’s a professional artist and made some breathtaking models. His seascape series is here:

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=155661

HTH,

Keith

This is Chris Flodberg indeed a full time artist. Along with Katseas my favorite sea base builders in 1/700 and 1/350.

https://www.chrisflodberg.com/maritime.

There is also a concentration of methods by builder on this forum

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37923