HMS PEGASUS by rdsaplala - Victory Models - 1/64 - A bit of bashing with TFFM

Hi Vitus,

Thanks for dropping by as well as the good word :)  For the second planking I first established the level of the main wale using three planks, these are the only untapered planks, all the planks immediately below the wale were tapered at the front so as to prevent crowding and the need for drop planks. Because the planks were only 4mm wide bit of edge bending was done at the front in lieu of spilling so as to allow the planks to follow the shape of the preceding plank and avoid clinkering.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Aldo,

Great to have you back on board my friend, as usual your work is of a very high standard which we have become accustomed to.

Looking forward to further updates mate.

Mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Aldo - 'bout time for an update my friend! And you-know-who will be wanting pictures to go with it!

Hi Aldo

Once again I had a look at your Pegasus and find I must use more foul words while working on mine. ;)

I would like to challenge you to use even more foul words while reworking your great cabin and provide it with some real light. Did you notice how B.E. made improvements there? I like that and shouldn’t such a greatly improved quarter badge as yours is allow a real glimpse into the interior of the cabin? :)

Take care

Peter

Thanks for the kind words Mobbsie, Steve, Grant, Sjors and Peter, they are much appreciated :)

Steve, if by gap you mean the area above above the gunports, you are correct, they are indeed unplanked areas, this is how she looks now after completion of the outside planking:

post-256-0-19177900-1364738087_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-94199300-1364738134_thumb.jpg

Peter, B.E.'s build is indeed something to look up to and in my opinion, is a Gold Standard for us Pegasus kit builders, I have been keeping tabs on his beautiful build to learn his excellent techniques B)

Internal lighting and complete cabin interior is a very tempting suggestion my friend, but it will be quite difficult at this stage as it will entail even more major surgery in the aft area. My bulwarks are already weakened by my removal of the bulkhead extensions and this may further weaken it, so for now, I aim to just detail up the exterior. Still it isn't over until it's over so I am not completely removing that from my options ;)

Grant and Sjors, you beat me to it guys, I was just about to start an itsy-bitsy update when you posted ;)

Now for my itsy-bitsy updates ^_^ :

As usual, work has been really hectic, and work on Peggy Sue has practically ground to a halt since my last update :( Thank goodness for the Lenten Season, I have been able to sneak in a few hours build time :D

Let me direct your attention to the kit's Main Sheet Bits, they look really cool out of the box as seen below:

post-256-0-16561100-1364739725_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, TFFM and Contemporary references of Swan Class Ships again show a different picture:

post-256-0-10194100-1364740258_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-94584200-1364740488.jpg

Good thing Amati has their "Super-Duper Main Sheet Bitts Upgrade Set", in my kit, they included in this set a historically accurate Main Sheet Bitts for my ship ;). I think this comes with their latest release of Pegasus kits :D:

post-256-0-70692400-1364740812_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-34659600-1364741975_thumb.jpg

HEHEHE JUST KIDDING!!! ADVANCE HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY TO YOU ALL!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 

I actually made these from TFFM plans. My first attempt has complete sheaves and the bitts have been spaced further apart than recommended to allow them to fit the slots for the original parts:

post-256-0-37423100-1364741048_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-45447300-1364741102_thumb.jpgpost-256-0-08486300-1364741099_thumb.jpgpost-256-0-49466800-1364741052_thumb.jpg

The problem with this first attempt is that the bitts are too wide apart and the sheaves are way overscale compared to TFFM dimensions. I thus decided to forego the sheaves in my second attempt below to allow making the cheek blocks more to scale.This new Main Sheet Bitts also has the proper distance between Bitts and thus will not fit the original slot on deck. I will just close these slots with scrap wood, cover them with deck planking and just pin and glue this new Main Sheet Bitt to the deck:

post-256-0-81845200-1364742048_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-42973400-1364742056_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-57194600-1364742052_thumb.jpg

Well, that's about it..... oh wait, by the way, I forgot to say that I fell in love with a frigate named HMS Triton :wub: so I also added these new cutting tasks to accomplish in my shipyard:

post-256-0-30467100-1364742571_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-23762600-1364742575_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-59369700-1364742578_thumb.jpg

I'll thus be having another log soon, yes, I know that I have barely enough time for one build, let alone two, but I can't help it, it's the scroll saw's fault  :P

I'm not in a hurry, but I do plan to finish Peggy Sue before the end of this Decade and Triton before the end of the Century, fair enough goals right? ^_^ That's all for now, Ciao Y'all B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Hi Aldo

OK, you got me with your 1th of April upgrade kit. :unsure:

Great work then, if not by Amati, by you!

And I didn’t mean interior electrical lightning, just real windows. With those already demonstrated surgical skills I wouldn’t fear for the patient.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Aldo, Happy Easter.......... nice to see you back in the saddle again, really sharp work on the bitts ,It's going to be areal winner when you finish her up. Thanks for your remarks on my post. It was my intention to have the rigging set to work, but unfortunately my fingers are bigger than I thought, I had to glue the belaying points, so now they'er set just where they are :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Aldo, your replacement Gallows look so much better. I scoured all my references looking for an example that matched the kit version without success, and I couldn't live with the Chinese Pagoda look either in the end.

I rather liked your bitts with the sheaves, and the set up on the deck didn't look out of scale to my eye, on the photo at least.

One thing to bear in mind re the spacing of the bitts, the rhodings for the pumps are attached to the inner faces of the bitts and will need to line up with the pump cistern centres.

Cheers,

M.

Hi Aldo,

With Valdamart and you I can see a profit in putting you both on stage, nice April fools.

Peggy is looking very good my friend and it's great to see some progress, thank you.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hahahaha.  Good job on pulling my leg!!!!!

Seriously though, your upgrade looks fantastic (as does the finished hull).  WELL DONE!!!!

Now, as for the scroll saw being responsible for a whole new voyage............... :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

That's a nice update Aldo,

You are gonna be sniffing at the dark side?

And don't listen to that guy Mobbsie.

In about 6 weeks we are visiting him and the Admiral and he is a little bit nervous about that…...

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

AHA -  so the cat is out of the bag.  You are going to England to hand pick your Aggy.  I just KNEW something was afoot!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Too late!  Those cats are fast once they get loose. 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hello Aldo,

Good to see you back in the shipyard. Nice work. I'm glad you found the time to do a little building.

And what is that ..... Going over to the 'dark side' with the HMS Triton?

Good on you! I wish you good luck with the Triton.

Thanks for looking in at my build.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi Aldo,

Great to see an update - and what a way to make an entrance! Your April Fool's joke got us all I think!!! Nice work on the bitts, but I'm inclined to agree that the first version with the sheaves looked pretty darn good too.

And sneaking over to the dark side too I see. Well, if life wasn't already busy enough for you, it will be now! :)

Aldo,

You got me also on the bitts.  Well done!!! post-76-0-65158300-1364786746.gifpost-76-0-65158300-1364786746.gifpost-76-0-65158300-1364786746.gif

I'll be looking forward to your Triton.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Aldo. Beautiful work on the Bitts there my friend.

You may not have as much time with your build as you'd wish but you do wonders with those few moments you have.

I was on my way to send a e-mail to Amati demanding the new bitts!  ^_^ 

Happy Easter even though it's almost over.

Eric

Bummer!

Hi Aldo, that is a very nice Peggy Sue you got there. Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Peter, Frank, Robert, M. (B.E.), Mobbsie, Augie, Sjors, Anja, Grant, Steve,Mark, SketchupModeller, Eric, Patrick, Arthur and Wim, your kind words are much appreciated :)

@ Peter: I appreciate your vote of confidence with regards to real windows and interior details for the great cabin, I'll consider them among my options ;)

@Sjors and Anja: Have fun on your visit to England my friends, give my regards to Mobssie and his Admiral B)

@M., Arthur and Grant: thanks for the good word on the bitts with sheaves guys, I am indeed tempted to use them, but recent pictures provided by Dr. Greg Herbert in the link below has given me an excuse to forego the sheaves:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1533-swan-class-model-no43-usna-museum/?hl=%2Bnaval+%2Bacademy

I am referring to this particular picture, which shows no sheaves on the bitts in question (thanks very much, Greg, for sharing those pics). B.E. aptly refers to it as my my "get out of jail card" :D  :

post-505-0-84759500-1364950495_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Hi Aldo,

We are going on 10 of May for a few days to Mobbsie .

I shall give him your regards  :D

Me on a trip with a moderator…….wowie!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

looking super  Aldo..........you've gone much farther than when I last saw her.   slowly getting all of the builds I was following back,  but that's a never ending task.......so much eye candy out there!   nice planking and glad your fitting out the deck.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great Aldo!  You sure set the bar high for the rest of us :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 1 month later...

Looks very good. I'll be following your progress.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 1 month later...

I see you have a few kits stacking up under your workbench and I love that Mahogany flooring!

The quarterbadge redo looks very good!

DSC04925_zpsd8f88e01.jpg

DSC04852_zpsb34d6f6f.jpg

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line