Medway Longboat 1742 by Freebird - FINISHED - Syren Ship Model Company - 1/2” Scale

With the exception of the bowsprit and its rigging and rope coils, the rigging is complete. Again, first time attempting rigging. Lots of lessons learned, I even made thimbles and served the lines as appropriate. All skills that I will need for Cheerful. Hardest part for me was seizing, I have a long way to go. With that said, any and all comments are welcome!

Best Regards …. Rick

6DF6E60B-C2C0-494B-8039-AB3D8CF79FAE.jpeg

A9EB4F50-D753-4FD6-B5E2-5531F6DF75C2.jpeg

1E81BC71-778B-4E8D-90D1-EB796053F7DC.jpeg

E80DD520-E8DB-4965-8C84-F9FC7A1FDBC9.jpeg

08F66C59-775D-4F98-9CC0-59178E8A02DA.jpeg

B49CD904-6D78-4F5B-8005-1BC3D2095CC6.jpeg

E2C40D02-C2EE-48BF-9616-B3BAC371F806.jpeg

Hello Rick, I just read through your build log and you're doing a fantastic job on this wonderful model!

Your log has brought back a lot of memories of my build. I had my share of mistakes and frustrations along the way but, all in all, the whole building process brought me a ton focused enjoyment and satisfaction. It's such a well designed and beautiful model and it is now prominently displayed in our home as I'm sure yours will be too when you are finished. Good luck as you continue along!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Bob! Thank you for the compliments! Yup, lots of mistakes have been made along the way, some were fixed, others, well, you know. I have referred to your build log many times for the rigging, it has been very helpful! Your Medway is a fantastic build and has been an inspiration! Medway has been an extremely fun build and I have learned a lot of new skills. For my first build, I’m pretty pleased on how she’s coming out. My hat is off to Chuck for his awesome design and endless help. I’ve been building models as far back as I can remember, and I’ve never come across a mentor and designer like Chuck who so freely shares his knowledge. Because of him and the many talented builders on MSW, like yourself, I’ve been able to pursue something I’ve wanted to do for many years. Thanks again Bob!

And a big thank you to All for stopping by and all the likes!

Best Regards …. Rick

Thanks for your complement, Rick, you're much too kind. I'm glad that the rigging part of my build is of some help.  

The Medway was my second build and I had never done any rigging at all before. I was sure I was going to make a big mess of it but it actually turned  out to be my favorite part of the build. The boat really comes alive once you begin adding the rigging. I think you'll find it very enjoyable. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Bob, this is my first attempt at rigging also. I find this part somewhat frustrating, but when completed very satisfying. I still have a lot to learn, but that’s what makes this hobby so much fun. I appreciate all of the informative and amazing skills and builds being very helpful and inspiring! 

The journey continues - traveler ring, shackle and hook made and blackened. Once the bowsprit is rigged, it’ll be time for the flag halliard and research how to make rope coils. 

Best Regards …. Rick

CAA6C220-CF17-48E7-BC93-81268692C913.jpeg

Spent time rigging the bowsprit today, came out pretty good. Just need to rig the flag halliards. Quick question, where do they tie off? I’ve looked at finished build logs and really don’t see anything. Do they tie off on the mast thwart? Any help would be appreciated! Also on deck is the display base, the pedestals are already finished. Thanks for stopping by.

Anybody care to guess what is on deck next?

Best Regards …. Rick

B1413D51-6EFD-4903-9269-B1594D50E378.jpeg

D5579B9B-D2C8-41B6-923E-A8733FF6EE1D.jpeg

6D01811D-1D43-44BA-8BB0-CE60E947547A.jpeg

AD7137D7-9968-4C59-943D-FC0D86459962.jpeg

4C0FAD1D-BAD6-43B8-9B7B-D106A2AF52D9.jpeg

B1D73F02-B7C2-463F-92F7-DAF6B9DF2B8D.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Freebird said:

Just need to rig the flag halliards. Quick question, where do they tie off? I’ve looked at finished build logs and really don’t see anything. Do they tie off on the mast thwart?

I have them tied off with a coil on the two starboard shrouds just above the deadeyes. You can see some good photos of them in post number 83 and again in post #135 of my build log.

22 minutes ago, Freebird said:

Anybody care to guess what is on deck next?

It looks like you've got a nice to on the Cheerful. Good luck, Rick, it's certainly a gorgeous model! 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Hey Bob! Thank you for the compliment! Great info for the halliard, did you use the forward or aft shrouds? Also, the truck has the means for using either the port or starboard side. Being you went with the starboard side, is the port side rigged the same? Sorry for all the questions and thank you for the help!

Best Regards …. Rick

4 minutes ago, Freebird said:

Great info for the halliard, did you use the forward or aft shrouds? Also, the truck has the means for using either the port or starboard side. Being you went with the starboard side, is the port side rigged the same?

Forward shrouds. Nothing is tied off on the port side. I'm sure you could use either side. Your choice. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Gorgeous base, Rick! I love all the figuring in veneer. It's a really beautiful piece of veneer. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy! Haven’t had much time to spend in the shipyard, but I’ve managed to continue on Medway. With exception of the flag halliard and making the oars, Medway is  completed! Coiling the ropes drove me nuts, but a first effort, I’ll take it. I’ll have a summary on the build in a few days. 

Best Regards …. Rick

E30486E0-84A6-4768-9D36-CC1A75BBE0F4.jpeg

C4D088CF-5C2D-4F93-98CC-89A2374F533F.jpeg

D72DA72E-828F-43AE-910E-14A864DFFAA7.jpeg

4EE72B68-7D12-4619-A12B-BA97424E4209.jpeg

147F83BB-CA30-4B79-ADA8-CDD696CF69C8.jpeg

Congratulations Rick on completing your Medway Longboat.  I have enjoyed following your build log.  You have a beautiful model that you will be proud to display.  I look forward to following your Cheerful build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

You've built a beautiful longboat, Rick. Congratulations!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Superb model. You can be proud of the result. It is really a very nice longboat !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Thank you guys for all of the compliments! They really mean a lot to me!

Here’s some thoughts about my experiences. First off, as someone who has built many r/c planes over 4 decades and having an aerospace background, I can say without hesitation that Chuck’s designs and methodology are superior. While I consider myself an accomplished builder, building Medway was a new challenge that I really enjoyed. Building ship models has a desire I’ve had for many years, and through Chuck and the many awesome builds here on MSW, I’m starting to realize that dream. 

As you guys know, Medway was my first attempt at this wonderful and sometimes frustrating hobby. After researching what to build first, Medway won out for many reasons. I found the build to be well thought out and in a logical sequence (not that I know what logical ship building is). One of the big lessons learned was patience! As Chuck and others preach, slow and steady is the path to success. The materials (AYC) supplied were great and produced beautiful results. The build pushed my skill base to learn more and develop skills that I didn’t know I had. This build was one of many firsts, and as expected, I made many mistakes, but that’s how we learn. Learning how to fair the hull, lining off the hull, shaping and bending planks with no more than heat was a real eye opening experience. Shaping square wood stock into parts that looked the part was very satisfying and rewarding. A new way of painting to produce brush stroke free results, making hooks and eyes and then blackening them was again, very satisfying. Making the mast, boom and other round parts was a process that I didn’t know about. While I made the mast too small in diameter and had to take a few steps backwards, in the end it worked out well. Making scrapers to shape moldings was fun and easy. But the most difficult part is the details needed for rigging. One of the reasons for choosing Medway was the limited rigging. There was just enough to learn some more skills and show me that I have a long way to go in this area. I’m glad that I choose the Medway for my first build and I’m impressed that I finished it. 

I’d like to thank Chuck for his efforts to help guys like me and for his input when needed. Rusty, Bobg, Ryland and a few others (whose names escape me), also provided help when needed, your build logs are very helpful (as all build logs are), amazing and inspiring!

If you couldn’t tell, I’m hooked on this aspect of modeling and in particular, Chuck’s offerings. To that end, Cheerful is now in the shipyard

and will be a slow build as I tend not to spend much time in the workshop during warm weather. I’ve started a build log for those interested, and as always, all comments and suggestions are very welcomed. Now to study those spectacular Cheerful logs!

Best Regards …. Rick

Wonderful model and I think you will enjoy Cheerful.  In many respects it is an easier build.  But just more stuff to do. I cant wait to followalong with your cheerful project.

Very nicely done!! :cheers: I will be jumping over to your Cheerful log , see you there , again nicely done. 

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati