Fiat 806 Grand Prix by Tim Moore - FINISHED - Italeri - 1:12

Hello model car world!
Thought I’d just do a summary of this build I plan to do over the next while for something different. I’ve always been an F1 fan and the vintage jobs appeal, probably owing to some dinky toys I got as a lad in England, like this set. I’m sure this kit has been done to death by many skilled builders, but I don’t usually do plastic so for me it’s something new and I like the scale.
I’ll consider it a success if it doesn’t look like a bunch of plastic parts glued together at the end.

Not sure what my theme for it will be, if any, likely I’ll just make it up as I go along as per usual. There’s a lot of small metal screws and springs etc used, which should make things interesting.
Chassis was first, I’m finding the assembly diagrams a delight so far. Tried a bit of aging on that first bit of copper tubing, as a tune up for the engine which is next. I’ve primed and painted the frame in Vallejo Fire red for now. It could just as well have been black probably. I guess the car body will have to be red to avoid an international incident. 
So on to the engine…my plan is to build most of the major carcass/components and then paint it after, rather than painting and assembling which I believe will get messy in my hands. Not sure best method to make it look more like steel or cast iron, I’ll need to try a few things. 

ED403BA4-4871-4F23-8BAF-19D9CED3B6C6.jpeg

7B2C6FC0-236B-4683-810C-45552EACBB98.jpeg

36B6DEC3-D360-40B2-AAAE-5064A341D3A1.jpeg

267255B6-356E-45B7-8F6D-6CF78805E804.jpeg

Edited by Tim Moore
Race is finished

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

I'm in on this.  Have a fond spot for the old F1 Ferraris.  They were sweet machines.  Is this kit metal by per chance?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

18 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I'm in on this.  Have a fond spot for the old F1 Ferraris.  They were sweet machines.  Is this kit metal by per chance?

Hi Mark - I wish! It is mostly plastic, and rubber, tubing etc. for some components, but some of the assembly is with fine screws, nuts and bolts. The chassis was basically put together with about 8 screws rather than any glue. It’s a big kit so lots of parts.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Starting on the engine. Assembly’s a cinch after being used to a lot of wooden ship destructions. To make it look more engine like I brushed on some steel colour paint and then quickly dabbed it with a bit of talcum powder on the brush while still wet, to add a suggestion of texture. Seems like it will work pretty well to give a cast iron look. Long way to go with this but it’s looking like I’m heading for a bit of a grubby used look on this racer. I’m experimenting with some paint techniques, eventually I may do a warship of some kind. 

13848436-8234-4BC0-A899-BD0A7E14C728.jpeg

7F685B6C-8C4B-49B8-9C31-3EBBA9016418.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Cast iron?  Or cast aluminum?  I think Ferrari used both and unlike some, he never used magnesium for engine parts.

The engine looks great no matter what metal was used in real life.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

really nice start........the engine looks great!   I like building the larger scale kits as well.......added detail as well as parts.  Revell used to have the 1:16 funny cars.........I built the English Leather Quite a while ago.  I find that it's a fairly rare kit........after giving up the search,  I settled on one that I had found.  just recently,  I did find the kit,  but it had already been built and now sold as a parts kit :(  >cry'in shame!  Revell also had other 1:16 scale kits...at the moment,  I have the '57 Chevy convertible {I'll digress if I keep this up}.

hope to see more :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for comment Mark & Popeye! 
Continuing with making the engine, trying to make it look cool and non plastic like, but also like a 100 year old. Next steps will include the ignition wiring. The kit includes some tiny rubber caps, wires and whatever the apparatus at the other end, all in one octopus. This makes this fussy bit of work a deuced easy install, but there’s a snag. At 1:12 scale, the rubber wire provided is at least 1” in diameter, which looks way too big. My plan is to snip off the two business ends, reuse them and replace the rubber with smaller gauge copper wire, attached to both rubber ends somehow. We will see how that goes. 

22EF98F7-8F45-4C79-B5D7-6A8197B385AB.jpeg

E19967C2-C56C-4E78-B3FF-E8B9FA8CA0FC.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

The engine completed, except for some final finishing etc.. The replacement ignition wiring worked better than expected. I cut out the oversized rubber strands, poked a hole in the alternator or whatever that is and inserted a thin copper wire which I had painted a light red. On the engine block end I attached the rubber spark plug caps I had trimmed off back on to the end of the wire using basic neurosurgery practice.
Looks reasonable I think and more to scale. The big frame piece in front of the engine looks ridiculous to me but I’m assuming it is for attaching the body and won’t be visible on completion. I hope.

277E77DE-7ADC-4A2C-A54D-F4BCCA8751BE.jpeg

585B2D97-A5B6-4809-B6FE-574E2E0EACCF.jpeg

E8DF21A3-CC9B-4B04-8665-E81A76717C3C.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Turning out nice. Good fix on the ignition cabling.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Nice progress. That would be a nice looking engine at any scale.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

7 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Great choice of kit. I am hoping to purchase that kit one day as well as the other kit produced by Italeri.

I will be following your progress with intense interest.

Is that kit a re-packaging of the old PROTAR kit?

Yves

Hi Yves

Yes the Italeri kit is apparently a reproduction of a diecast model by Protar. I’m pretty sure you could do this thing justice. I have to say I’m finding it a lot of fun to build, and I’m particularly liking the guide booklet which parcels out the component assemblies pretty well in digestible chunks. 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Thanks Lou & Ken…
We are moving along here, Now that the steering assembly is done & married up with the engine block, I can tackle the axle and wheel assemblies and add them to the chassis. I’m still going to spend a little time detailing the engine/steering assembly but component wise it’s pretty much all there. The steering wheel is wrapped in some strips of cloth to simulate leather. The kit had a couple of other steering wheel bits - an inner ring and a clear panel, but I didn’t like the look so will leave them out. Ok that’s not exactly the gospel truth. I actually busted the inner ring and got fed up with the fragile piece of crap it was, so said to hell with it and chucked it in the bin. 

1EC3DA32-4D4D-40F4-9D2A-8C532EF4E5E2.jpeg

9AC2A6CD-EE1C-47A6-8B56-98C4B3DCBBC1.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

On 1/4/2022 at 7:33 PM, Tim Moore said:

Hello model car world!
Thought I’d just do a summary of this build I plan to do over the next while for something different. I’ve always been an F1 fan and the vintage jobs appeal, probably owing to some dinky toys I got as a lad in England, like this set. I’m sure this kit has been done to death by many skilled builders, but I don’t usually do plastic so for me it’s something new and I like the scale.
I’ll consider it a success if it doesn’t look like a bunch of plastic parts glued together at the end.

Not sure what my theme for it will be, if any, likely I’ll just make it up as I go along as per usual. There’s a lot of small metal screws and springs etc used, which should make things interesting.
Chassis was first, I’m finding the assembly diagrams a delight so far. Tried a bit of aging on that first bit of copper tubing, as a tune up for the engine which is next. I’ve primed and painted the frame in Vallejo Fire red for now. It could just as well have been black probably. I guess the car body will have to be red to avoid an international incident. 
So on to the engine…my plan is to build most of the major carcass/components and then paint it after, rather than painting and assembling which I believe will get messy in my hands. Not sure best method to make it look more like steel or cast iron, I’ll need to try a few things. 

ED403BA4-4871-4F23-8BAF-19D9CED3B6C6.jpeg

7B2C6FC0-236B-4683-810C-45552EACBB98.jpeg

36B6DEC3-D360-40B2-AAAE-5064A341D3A1.jpeg

267255B6-356E-45B7-8F6D-6CF78805E804.jpeg

I will follow along on your build.  Like you, born in England, Yorkshire to be exact, and have been an Grand Prix fan as long as I can remember. Looks good so far.

On 1/10/2022 at 10:58 AM, Tim Moore said:

The engine completed, except for some final finishing etc.. The replacement ignition wiring worked better than expected. I cut out the oversized rubber strands, poked a hole in the alternator or whatever that is and inserted a thin copper wire which I had painted a light red. On the engine block end I attached the rubber spark plug caps I had trimmed off back on to the end of the wire using basic neurosurgery practice.
Looks reasonable I think and more to scale. The big frame piece in front of the engine looks ridiculous to me but I’m assuming it is for attaching the body and won’t be visible on completion. I hope.

That is a beautiful rendition of a working engine.... Very well done...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanks for looking in Diver and Egilman…

Apart from a couple of glued components the rear axle and spring assembly is put together with nuts and bolts and some fine screws. Everything has fitted pretty well for me so far. I’ve airbrushed on a base coat of dark steel on these mechanicals to begin with. As nice as these bits are, it’s mostly hidden and really it’s the finish bodywork that’s going to make or break this model. That will take a little time I think.

There are 33 steps to this model in the assembly guide, and this takes me to the end of #18. 

D80EBF31-78ED-422E-8FB9-9BEB583D50FB.jpeg

CA4D02AC-7B98-4955-A43F-27D6B02B52E2.jpeg

704D3604-C42B-406B-BC24-06800D16CF09.jpeg

Edited by Tim Moore
Added photo

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Thanks Yves…bit of a hiatus as a couple of my design projects needed attention, but should be able to be back on the Fiat tomorrow. I’ve got most of the wonderfully complicated suspension parts in place and should be able to get the wheels on this thing next. I used the sticker provided in the kit as a mask and sprayed on the number rather than use the decal. Have started a bit of tentative weathering on some parts to give them a more vintage metallic feel, will be doing more. 

ADAE4FBB-81DD-413A-87B2-A23CC1A787B0.jpeg

BC035117-A453-47F3-9830-A3E1466A954D.jpeg

410B62A0-15DF-45CF-82C1-839F530775A9.jpeg

Edited by Tim Moore
Added missing photo

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Thanks Yves - yes I’ve seen that one, and actually might do that - I’m quite enjoying the scale of this and messing around with paint. Haven’t seen the Bugatti. Wish there were more at 1:12. 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Wheels on…mounting the engine assembly and attaching the fuel line and all the tubes and hoses will be next.

B4C07C34-88A3-451E-98A5-984191F98814.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Very nice work. It will be a head turner when finished. 

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

very sharp chassis and engine ;)   the numbering looks cool too!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

3 hours ago, Tim Moore said:

Thanks Yves - yes I’ve seen that one, and actually might do that - I’m quite enjoying the scale of this and messing around with paint. Haven’t seen the Bugatti. Wish there were more at 1:12. 

There it is.....available sometime in 2022: 

1887575231_2022PreviewItaleri_011.thumb.png.6231379457dae4d37b2f0183a9780bd0.png

Yves

4 hours ago, Tim Moore said:

Wheels on…mounting the engine assembly and attaching the fuel line and all the tubes and hoses will be next.

B4C07C34-88A3-451E-98A5-984191F98814.jpeg

You know, just being a plastic hacker, I'm amazed at the metalwork you guys are able to simulate.... whish we could hear more on how you do it...

Amazing work Tim... gonna be another stunner when done....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Thanks Egilman. Here’s a few closeups so you can see all the warts in its current state, still a ways to go. What I’ve been doing to get the patina is as follows: For the red bits I first started with a grey primer, then airbrushed the final red colour, seems to have more depth and truer final colour that way. I bought three different reds, a lighter red, Ferrari red and Fire red, and after testing liked the latter for an old car like this for some reason. After the red I used a bit of black and water and brushed it on here and there, letting it pool or added more pigment in certain places to give an impression of grime. For the metal bits I started with a dark steel colour then messed about with a brush on top with the thinned out black wash. I also have a bottle of something called Matt rust which I dabbed on in certain spots. Really it’s just brown paint. Most of the contrasting metallic bits are mixes of copper, bronze and black. A 1:1 mix of copper and black gives you a pretty good rendition of an oxidized old copper pipe. For the tires which tend to look plastic and too black, I just rubbed them with a bit of talcum powder to make them less new, and the powder settles into the tread so you get to see that texture. I’m really just making this up as I go along, there are real wizards at this that could probably explain how to create perfect results with proper technique.

E058BA79-2486-439C-A760-BB6C02794546.jpeg

A50119E9-EBBA-447B-BA57-7284CAC33B98.jpeg

C5DFD47F-9EA0-4688-862A-73DE0636E44E.jpeg

1F8FD8C4-17C5-4429-985A-D5A7C262F036.jpeg

84100F63-E1AE-4DE7-992C-7E4E6572C424.jpeg

A8EBBC30-5B6D-4692-9612-44FCE001032A.jpeg

6279CB31-5E24-4D9C-8AFC-5C96230A056B.jpeg

8BD616A2-CA21-4574-BA59-F2FDC20812A4.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Wow, I was not paying attention and missed this until now.  You are flying right along.  It looks great so far; well done with the paint and weathering.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

23 hours ago, Tim Moore said:

I’m really just making this up as I go along, there are real wizards at this that could probably explain how to create perfect results with proper technique.

Well Tim, looks pretty darn perfect to me.... I guess is must be proper technique....

Quote:

Thanks Gary and Egilman. I’ve set aside the chassis assembly for now and am tackling the body for something different. The body sprues are a bit rough with this kit, pretty crappy actually so a bit of work to knock them into shape. Could just do a painting exercise now but I can see from the original picture I have that the vents on the back were prominent,

while the plastic piece just has a few insignificant closed bumps, so thought I’d open them up a bit for a more authentic look, which I know some other builders have done. Spent a good part of the niners packers game doing that with a blade and micro drill, to an unexpectedly good result. Then I went to the other side and made a complete shambles of that side. So now I’ve just cut them both out completely and have to start again with something from scratch. Guess I’ll now do this for the two at the very back as well. 

8982A860-6B5B-4C89-AE36-BF1A6D2915F7.jpeg

E8E82FC3-D188-4BCF-A6A4-3E6139899FBC.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

I really like the effect you are creating with the washes, etc.  To me, this avoids the "plastic" look you see on a lot of car models.  Nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)