Got a suggestion for books?

Historic Ship Models by Wolfram Zu Monfeld.

That’s my go to.  It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty good.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Definitely Historic Ship Models by Wolfram Zu Monfeld..

Considering they are free, any number of the instruction books available at ModelExpo would be my 2nd choice..

Particularly the one's by Chuck Passaro..  They are like tutorials that would apply to any number of ships besides the kit they

are written for.

A good example is the US Brig Syren

Look down the page for the 20 part instructions.

You will find similar if not as detailed, instructions for all Model Shipways kits..

They are not just instructions for the kit in question, they provide a lot of basic kit building and rigging information.

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Depends what you expect from the book :)

If you like cooking, buy a cook-book, if you are interested in history buy a history book. What I mean: your choice may depend on what you need/like

Mondfeld gives quite a lot of info, however, it does not very often go into the 'how do I do'.

Mastini (Ship modelling simplified) goes into extensive 'how to', but is rather focussed on 'kits' and not 'working from scratch'

Books like 'Young America' show both detail and how to, but are focussed on a very specific ship (although you can argue that a belaying pin, or a proper executed joint will show up in rather a few other shipmodels.)

A second thing you should take into consideration: books like Mondfeld (but lots more) are dating essentially from the late sixties, showing historic knowlegde from that period, building materials from that periode, and techniques from that period. Those techniques may still work, but both technique as well as machinery have come a long way since. The same applies to historic knowledge. You may like Mondfeld, you may consider him outdated. Depends on what you are looking for.

Third consideration: the whole digital universe is full of information. Google 'making deadeyes' or 'how to attach a block' and you will find loads of pages and instruction videos showing you how it can be done (the Passaro-tutorials are great indeed) . Far more difficult is finding detailed information on specific ships or of specific periods. The need for a 'general purpose book like Mondfeld is not so large as thirty years ago. You may consider therefore an alternative buying strategy: buy a book on something very specific: framing in the English Navy, Rigging of Tea-clippers, Books that can be read next to a hearth fire, with a glass of something, and getting all the general information from places like MSW. 

(and yes, Landstrom was my first book on ships, Hoeckel the second and Mondfeld came third.) 

Jan

Edited by amateur

Monfeld is my go-to starter when I need info.   Not the greatest for but for what it has it's enough to often answer my questions and get me started.   After that... it's a mixed bag of monographs from ANCRE, and assorted books like Hahn's, Dobbs and Moore, and others.  There is also the Net and Google is my friend for searching.   I do have a lot of site bookmarked as references.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t have Monfelds book, so I can’t judge how it compares to my go to book, Harold Underhills Plank-on-frame models. It is a bit dated, and he does not describe the latest material or techniques. That is actually the books strength. He describe how to build a model using simple tools, many of which are home made. He wrote it just after the war when he had few tools available. This means that you learn the fundamentals, which can be simplified with access to better tools and materials. Such as modern glues.

10 hours ago, bolin said:

I don’t have Monfelds book, so I can’t judge how it compares to my go to book, Harold Underhills Plank-on-frame models. It is a bit dated, and he does not describe the latest material or techniques. That is actually the books strength. He describe how to build a model using simple tools, many of which are home made. He wrote it just after the war when he had few tools available. This means that you learn the fundamentals, which can be simplified with access to better tools and materials. Such as modern glues.

Underhill is a "how to" book while Modfeld is a "what this is" book.  Both are very useful though.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)