I need help repairing an Artesania Latina Dallas 1:50 model

Zeus-cat

If I posted this in the wrong section please move it to the correct forum. 

I am looking for a little help. I built the Artesania Latina Dallas and gave it to a friend over 35 years ago. On my last visit to see my friend he gave the model back to me for repair. It clearly was hit by something as the bowsprit was shattered and there is some other damage. Thankfully the masts and hull appear to be fine.  In addition to the bowsprit some of the rigging and a few spars will need to be replaced.

Somehow after all these years I still have two pages of the drawings. I read on another post about this kit that there are three pages of drawings, so one has disappeared. Fortunately, I have the one that shows the rigging which should be the one I need the most. I don’t think I have any other documentation, but I will look again in my hobby room.

My brother just told me he may visit me in June and I am thinking he could take the repaired model back to my friend on his way back to Denver. I live in Ohio and my friend is in St Louis, so my brother should be passing close if he takes I-70 home.  That means I have a deadline!

I started to cut away the damaged rigging trying to preserve what I can.  To continue my repairs I could use the answer to a few questions.

Question #1

What diameter is the rigging?

Question #2

I need information on the parts that make up the bowsprit (parts #166 and 117). What are the length and diameter of these pieces?

Many thanks for any help.

Carter (aka Zeus-cat)

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but didn't find what I thought I might have..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

On 1/13/2022 at 11:50 AM, Zeus-cat said:

If I posted this in the wrong section please move it to the correct forum. 

I am looking for a little help. I built the Artesania Latina Dallas and gave it to a friend over 35 years ago. On my last visit to see my friend he gave the model back to me for repair. It clearly was hit by something as the bowsprit was shattered and there is some other damage. Thankfully the masts and hull appear to be fine.  In addition to the bowsprit some of the rigging and a few spars will need to be replaced.

Somehow after all these years I still have two pages of the drawings. I read on another post about this kit that there are three pages of drawings, so one has disappeared. Fortunately, I have the one that shows the rigging which should be the one I need the most. I don’t think I have any other documentation, but I will look again in my hobby room.

My brother just told me he may visit me in June and I am thinking he could take the repaired model back to my friend on his way back to Denver. I live in Ohio and my friend is in St Louis, so my brother should be passing close if he takes I-70 home.  That means I have a deadline!

I started to cut away the damaged rigging trying to preserve what I can.  To continue my repairs I could use the answer to a few questions.

Question #1

What diameter is the rigging?

Question #2

I need information on the parts that make up the bowsprit (parts #166 and 117). What are the length and diameter of these pieces?

Many thanks for any help.

Carter (aka Zeus-cat)

Hi Carter. On my Dallas the main bowsprit is 12.5cm long, 6mm dowel. The additional bowsprit section is 9cm long and 4mm dowel. The rigging is 0.75mm dark brown thread.

Tim

F8B627F2-A189-4294-8C3E-F99C61FC8F5B.jpeg

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Carter, I dug out my old unfinished kit of the Dallas.Question1kit parts list two sizes of rigging  thread 0.8 and 0.4 as for the bowsprit and jibboom none of my plans sheets have those numbers. It  lists a 6mm dia mahogany dowel 6 inches long and a 4 mm dia mahogany dowel for   the  jibboom and my stock is 10 and 1/4 long. But I believe it needs to be shortened. None of my plans show anything on these parts.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History