Hey Wharf Rats, Sharks, and Distinguished Navigators at the helm,

I'm looking for excellent and or classic woodshop/woodcraft reads (books) and references. 

Thanks for any suggestions!

Edited by SaltyNinja
grammar

So are you looking for "how to's"?  Ship references?  Histories?  Books on tools?  You'll need to be tad bit more specific.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

So are you looking for "how to's"?  Ship references?  Histories?  Books on tools?  You'll need to be tad bit more specific.

"How To's"  for the time being. 

I ordered "The Collins Complete Woodworker: A Detailed Guide to Design, Techniques, and Tools for the Beginner and Expert" today. So I'm starting with that one.

I saw a book called "The Handplane Book" by Garrett Hack that I might seek to obtain next. 

Thanks Mark

Edited by SaltyNinja
font

I've found that many times, books for full size tools are sometimes pretty useless for ship modeling.  However, they are good to read and think about how to apply what's in them to modeling.  

As for modeling tools,  There are "full size" machines such as hobby milling machines, table saws, and lathes sold by companies like Sherline, MicroMark and others.  The methods are similar just scaled down.  Others such as scroll saws work well also on models and many of the full size can be used on models. 

This website is very useful and covers more than mini-lathes so I'd start there:   http://www.mini-lathe.com/Default.htm

This one also... click on "Learning Center"...  https://www.littlemachineshop.com/Products/product_new.php

For small table saws, there's a pinned topic here:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/18-modeling-tools-and-workshop-equipment/  for the Byrnes saw but much of the info can be used for any of the hobby type saws. 

Sherline's helpful pubs are here:  http://www.sherline.com/product-information/sherline-accessory-instructions/

I hope that'll get you started.  The biggest warning is that treat any hobby tool with the same respect as you would a full size shop tool.   Even the small power tools can kill or maim if you're careful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Find a WOODCRAFT STORE ,they have a really good selection of woodworking books in all phases. I was just in one last tuesday

and spent 15-20 minutes just looking through the titles.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

If you have room for them, my advice would be to outfit yourself with full sized woodworking tools, both hand and power and learn how to use them.  You can then move into small modelmaking tools as the need arises.  

The one skill that you need to master is keeping your edged tools sharp. Find a good book on sharpening and read it.  When I have a chance later today I’ll post information on an excellent book on the subject.

Roger

Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking: Three Step-by-Step Guidebooks to Essential Woodworking Techniques. Book 1: "Joinery," Book 2:  "Shaping, Veneering, Finishing," and ""Book 3: "Furniture making," In print for probably close to 40 years now, this is considered by some the Bible on classic hand tool woodworking. Originally three separate volumes published by Fine Woodworking, and then in a three volume slip-cased set by Taunton Press.  Written by the late Tage Frid, a traditionally trained Danish-born woodworker who was a big player in the American custom art furniture movement. Nearly everything in Frid's books translates easily to modeling because he covers well the basics of traditional woodworking hand tools.  Modern power woodworking tools are covered, as well. Profusely illustrated. A recognized primary reference work on the subject.  Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking: Three Step-by-Step Guidebooks to Essential Woodworking Techniques: Frid, Tage: 9781561588268: Amazon.com: Books

It's also available in online in PDF format: [pdf] Download Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking Ebook and Read Online (saintlukebc.org)

Edited by Bob Cleek

On 1/20/2022 at 1:36 PM, Bob Cleek said:

Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking: Three Step-by-Step Guidebooks to Essential Woodworking Techniques. Book 1: "Joinery," Book 2:  "Shaping, Veneering, Finishing," and ""Book 3: "Furniture making," In print for probably close to 40 years now, this is considered by some the Bible on classic hand tool woodworking. Originally three separate volumes published by Fine Woodworking, and then in a three volume slip-cased set by Taunton Press.  Written by the late Tage Frid, a traditionally trained Danish-born woodworker who was a big player in the American custom art furniture movement. Nearly everything in Frid's books translates easily to modeling because he covers well the basics of traditional woodworking hand tools.  Modern power woodworking tools are covered, as well. Profusely illustrated. A recognized primary reference work on the subject.  Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking: Three Step-by-Step Guidebooks to Essential Woodworking Techniques: Frid, Tage: 9781561588268: Amazon.com: Books

It's also available in online in PDF format: [pdf] Download Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking Ebook and Read Online (saintlukebc.org)

Thanks for this suggestion. I ordered the Tage Frid books 1 and 2 used for $18. I'm not sure if I need the third one on furniture making, but may seek it out later.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:49 AM, Roger Pellett said:

The sharpening book that I have is written by Leonard Lee.

I  went ahead and got this book (used) as suggested as well. 

Thanks again for the guidance in quality literature!

• 2 weeks later...

The Frid books are a great place to start. 

If you are looking for a gentle start, I suggest: I Can Do That! Woodworking Projects: 48 quality furniture projects that require minimal experience and tools by David Thiel.

The Complete Manual of Woodworking: A Detailed Guide to Design, Techniques, and Tools for the Beginner and Expert by Jackson is nice ‘overview’ and cheap used. 

I also like Flexner on wood finishes: Understanding Wood Finishing - again cheap used.

The aforementioned sharpening book by Lee is great. 

Check out https://lostartpress.com/. They are geared towards the use of hand tools more than machine in general. They have number of reprint of interest and a collection of Hayward’s work as well: https://lostartpress.com/collections/books/products/the-woodworker-the-charles-hayward-years. Hayward’s books are old and out of print but good reads.

If you are interested furniture and hand tools, this is a treat: https://lostartpress.com/collections/books/products/the-anarchists-tool-chest

I would also suggest Fine Woodworking Magazine. It covers hand and machine work; it is consistently worthwhile. Their publisher, Taunton also has a number of good books. You can find all the issues of the magazines in one shot here: https://www.tauntonstore.com/2021-fine-woodworking-archive-usb 

For another take on woodworking, take a peak at https://woodgears.ca/

Is there something in particular you have in mind?

Woodworking is like ship modeling, there is no end to reading, the history and the trivia. I have a ton of books and matching number opinions so ask! :)

Edited by EricWilliamMarshall

• 11 months later...