Running rigging color

clarkt

I know this issue has been discussed before, but it is still the biggest problem I have.  The standing rigging is easy.  It's the running rigging that is elusive.  Syren lines are a great product but I have never cared for the grey brown or tan he uses.   I have tried fabric dye (a lot of time/effort with poor results,)  solvent-based wood stain (also unacceptable results,)  and, more recently, powdered wood dye in alcohol.  This last attempt seemed at least somewhat better, and is relatively easy, the alcohol drying very quickly.   But in just over a year the color has changed, leaving a hue more yellow than when it was dyed.  Making my own lines on a rope walk is obviously an option, but it is another level of complication that I would rather avoid.  So, has anyone found a reliable way to dye their rope that they can recommend?  The wood dye I've been using is Transfast.  Dark Mission Brown for standing rigging gives excellent results.  The Light Oak, Early American Maple and Grey have not been as successful.   Mixing with alcohol or water seems to give the same results.  I think this is still a good option, but thought someone may have a color mixture that they like.  Maybe there are other products that are better.

Any dying option you use may be subject to changing over time, and you won't know how long until it happens..

Have you looked at BenD's rope?

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I am trying to discern from your text just what your conditions are.  The best that I can come up with is that you are using line supplied by Syren and are trying to change the color.  If this is the situation, the line that you are attempting to color is  poly/cotton blend threads  which is the Syren starting material.  The poly component is a synthetic polymer and not affected within its body by a dye - - there is nowhere for dye particles to penetrate.  So the cotton takes it up and the poly does not.  Some of your change is likely dye particles sloughing off of the plastic.  Almost all dyes tend to use color fast material.

Plastic can be painted.  Dyes are for natural plant based - cellulose - linen and cotton.  

An experiment that I intend to do is using Liberon Van Dyck Walnut husk dye crystals.  Saturated solution for standing and very dilute for running. 

I have been hording linen yarn for a while. A major regret is that I did not buy a case of each size Cutty Hunk linen fishing line before the survivors of the owner transferred his remaining stock to a dumpster.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

For whatever reason, I was able to get a color change on 100% polyester rope with Fiebing's leather dye.

It seemed to be permanent and resisted wiping off after it was dry..

It was just an experiment, as I have no reason to change the color of the rope I make beyond changing the color of thread I use..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

21 minutes ago, Jaager said:

I am trying to discern from your text just what your conditions are.  The best that I can come up with is that you are using line supplied by Syren and are trying to change the color.  If this is the situation, the line that you are attempting to color is  poly/cotton blend threads  which is the Syren starting material.  The poly component is a synthetic polymer and not affected within its body by a dye - - there is nowhere for dye particles to penetrate.  So the cotton takes it up and the poly does not.  Some of your change is likely dye particles sloughing off of the plastic.  Almost all dyes tend to use color fast material.

Plastic can be painted.  Dyes are for natural plant based - cellulose - linen and cotton.  

An experiment that I intend to do is using Liberon Van Dyck Walnut husk dye crystals.  Saturated solution for standing and very dilute for running. 

I have been hording linen yarn for a while. A major regret is that I did not buy a case of each size Cutty Hunk linen fishing line before the survivors of the owner transferred his remaining stock to a dumpster.

I am using Syren lines, now, but have also used Admiralty and Wagner commercial modelmakers rope.  Also some best Irish linen.  They all seem to absorb the dye/stain okay, it's just the color I haven't been able to achieve.  I thought the polyester might not work but it does.  I used to wear polyester uniforms and they were stained with all kinds of things.  Maybe the dark brown dye just overwhelms and the lighter color isn't strong enough?