question about selecting a ship kit

Hi i was wondering if someone could answer a few questions.   What type of bow is the easiest to plank?   rounded or pointed?  I have built many balsa rc airplanes and a Dumas atlas van lines hydroplane and a dumas coast gaurd  utility boat.   Given my experience what level would that put me in should I start with something like a bounty launch  lifeboat  or A rattlesnake.  Also what brand of kit has the most detailed quality and instructions. I am looking for something more challenging than the dumas rc boats.

Thanks

Mark

A pointed bow is easier to plank.  You might want to take a look at Model Shipways "Willie L. Bennet" Skipjack kit.  A good introduction to building models of sailing vessels.  Great instructions.  Here is a link to a build log. 

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Hi Mark

Welcome to MSW!!!

If you study the planking tutorials the planking is no more difficult for a rounded bow than a sharper bow.  It does take more time to get the planks shaped but it is not difficult.

Study the various build logs of kit models closely and you will learn a lot about the kits, both good and bad.   The three stages of experience series of kits designed by David Antscherl may be exactly what you want as well as any model from Chuck Passaro/Syren.  If you want to do the Bounty launch the Model Shipways version is supposed to be OK, but others, not so much.

Again, welcome to MSW.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome to MSW.  If you haven't, have look at this topic. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

I too built a lot of models of various things before I tried my first wooden ship model kit. It was a VERY different experience, and there was a pretty good learning curve. It turned out OK, but nothing to brag about.

My advice to you is to choose a fairly simple and inexpensive plank on bulkhead kit to start on. Something you can finish fairly quickly. But I would recommend something with a bit of rigging so you can learn some of the jargon and methods. Don't expect it to turn out as a museum piece, but use it to become familiar with the problems and techniques.

Then you will be ready to take on a serious build.

I would also suggest you look at Vanguard Models, one of the forum sponsors. As well as top of the range warships, the designer Chris Watton has also produced a range of fishing vessels that provide a good introduction to planking. Manuals for all the Vanguard range are viewable and downloadable on the website, and there are many build logs on the forum. Here's a good example. I should add that Vanguard ship worldwide.

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat