Metal bashing

A bit of gluing today

The first section was held in place with the old third hand. I used some medium thickness ACC.

I do find that my third hand is really handy sometimes😉

IMG_4011x1024.jpg.a6cc26575ea4af1b82290392d35bd165.jpg

IMG_4012x1024.jpg.5470a031c973fed7a3532762228e01b9.jpg

IMG_4013x1024.jpg.634b8d3558f85e03d181163c5af27668.jpg

After the first one set up a simple task of slowly adding the next set of Leaves. I had to have a look at the texture.

Feels good!

IMG_4017x1024.jpg.40c4da2fa1e7a55f5a592614ffe36668.jpg

Some more tomorrow.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

The leaves are now glued in to form the core. I will add a smear of epoxy to seal it all together.

Capture4019.JPG.99a7eec63aa07be4f693743c7d6b1a60.JPG

and from the outside

Capture4021.JPG.5646f9f3b03ac0926efa255c569e0792.JPG

There is a few bits to the engine, it will be simple and from wood and plastic. It wont be anything like a complex s the buffalo engine for Skipjack.

IMG_4027x1024.jpg.17a6e4bed42220716babc10b59dd617e.jpg

now I can move on to the next challenge.

IMG_4029x1024.jpg.41cc8b8e80de4b2c185dee451714568d.jpg

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

2 hours ago, shipman said:

Doesn't that make a mockery of the forums stance on copyright?

that is a good question, perhaps Admin can respond.

5 hours ago, shipman said:

Admirable work😃

Re post 30....

'As I do not have any of my own copyright pictures here is a link to the bullnose radiator'

Doesn't that make a mockery of the forums stance on copyright?

A link is not a copy as it takes you to the original.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, shipman said:

Mark, does it? Or do you get to a copy of a copy?

Michael has raised this as a separate post, which I encourage anyone to visit.

I'll let the subject alone now.

A link to the picture/text takes you to the posting site... thus, you're seeing the original work.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Well I still have not got my mojo back for the boats at the moment, I am thinking that as soon as this little project is finished I will get back to the hulls.

Had a bit of fun working out how to make rivets, upsetting copper ones did not work out so well but a tip from a model railroader set me on a different path. Using the thermoforming aspects of styrene, I milled a hemispherical indentation into the end of a new soldering iron bit.

Capture4077.JPG.b832a44bd08ecf498b21b50892aeabb5.JPG

I was unable to set the temperature any lower than 200F so had to keep turning it on and off at 100F. I made a small bush out of some 1/4 inch diameter brass rod and fed the styrene rod through it until a short stub was protruding (a bit of trial and error determined the correct amount.

Capture4078.JPG.a981bf1831e9890d168f496f6c317dac.JPG

Then the warmed soldering iron was pushed onto the end with a rotating swiveling motion, which produced a nice rounded end that looked like a rivet and not an melted blob.

Capture4079.JPG.c3e7e10fb6804bc92328b1a4aaee7087.JPG

Capture4080.JPG.f505fd527b56650322d220d523dc3e70.JPG

Then buy using the keeper plate and cutting the pressed in rivets to the correct length I used the same procedure on the other end so the styrene acted as a true rivet.

Capture4109.JPG.6a24ee8902a070ec50e66d3ffbc39c0b.JPG

I attached the uprights for the windshield the same way by feeding the rivets out from the inside.

The loco runs nicely on three AAA batteries with a small toy motor fed through a worm drive which is basically a short length of 10x24 bras machine screw, on a spare salvaged gear from something eons ago.

IMG_4066x1024.jpg.a4768d019f66477092645ee35e364fc5.jpg

The controls are through three tiny switches set under the floor boards and set up to represent the foot pedals of the Morris car with a bit of license.

The one on the right is the forward reverse, the middle one is on off and the left one his high low speed.

IMG_4094x1024.jpg.90cc3a58c9e74d916fd9492594f0e41e.jpg

And of course we needed a dash board which is some Castello boxwood again with some nickel silver retaining screws around the edge these are .041" diameter and just decorative, the rest are a combination of brass and styrene rod turnings. It will get stuck on after the body shell has been painted.

Capture4099.JPG.ac91d142a5743de6b9c60b392461df94.JPG

IMG_4101x1024.jpg.d606ea3125938f255c72f68514655df3.jpg

The most recent parts were the couplings and buffer combination.

Capture4108.JPG.fde79e72ce11966c1492f6d6495a5995.JPG

So it is getting close to being finished, but it is keeping my mind off the troubling news, as I focus on the various problem solving aspects of this model as there are only a couple of copyrighted photographs of the original machine and no drawings.

Michael

The model is looking the business, Michael.  And your method for rivets is sheer genius.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Mark, and thanks everyone for the likes and for you patience while I get this worked through my system, and then get back to the boats.

A bit more work done, on the running gear.

IMG_4123x1024.jpg.b9565c4c93d3a0c7c76bacf137e04322.jpg

Fiddly bits for sure.

Michael

Hello Eberhard, actually no I did not. One of those impossible bits to figure out. The geometry reminds me a bit of motor cycle gear changing, but it eludes me. and the chap who supplied me with the only picture of this does not know either. the transmission that was used is the transmission that was on the Morris Cowley. My representation is a little bit heavy handed compared to the rather delicate linkages from the original. Unfortunately I cannot share the image. as I agreed not to.

There does not seem to be any other information other than that one photograph which is also at an oblique angle. These cobbled together locos were all scrapped around the early 60's In the 16mm associations special publication on the Penrhyn Quarry there is a double page spread showing this loco but from the opposite side. and they are the only public pictures that I know of. 

The model  railway narrow gauge enthusiasts who know quite a bit about the  Welsh quarry locomotives and the miscellaneous constructions, have little information either.

So my representation is a bit of guesswork as far as is goes. the three shafts connected in an intricate way.

Capture4110.JPG.cda89b278d8c48a070646dd662e60d4b.JPG

Capture4121.JPG.60ed91e673649dfbe4491281fdf8a769.JPG

A few other model makers have done their own representations of this type of loco none have gone the same route as me.

There are no photographs that I know of of the dashboard or the pedals that were used on the loco so my version is a compromise in order to use the switches that I had to hand, There obviously would not have any need for the steering wheel and associated parts, or how the transmission was set up to drive other than some conversion to a chain system to the two axles.

A number of nuts and bolts are not fitted to the frames and wheel bearings because the whole thing has to be dissembled in order to paint it.

Michael

Sorry for asking ;)  ... a bit of 'petrolpunk' then ...

What is interesting is, that there is a bit of cultural and technical history around the quarries in the UK. Over here on the continent, at least in Germany and France, this is largely forgotten with little, if any photographic evidence, let alone books about the subject.

In Germany there were a couple of manufacturers that made such small petrol locos for quarries, agricultural estates and the likes, but I wonder, whether any quarry had enough engineering resources to make such home-grown locos.

Another reason for their absence (in my perception) may have been the rather strong workplace H&S supervision, at least since WW1. 

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Some very interesting linkage...you have there.  3 levered contacts working simultaneously in controlled ratio.

The large control action turnbuckle fixed to the truck and the frame...apparently is used for truck alignment....NOT in concert with the linkage.

Impressive, for sure. 

OH...model railroading also provides rivet heads that are stick backed on a sheet...made in many scales.  Just peal them off and place them on your project.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

7 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

OH...model railroading also provides rivet heads that are stick backed on a sheet...made in many scales.  Just peal them off and place them on your project.

Ah but they would not actually work like real rivets, which mine do.

Michael

10 hours ago, michael mott said:

Ah but they would not actually work like real rivets, which mine do.

Michael

Oh, I didn’t realize that detail was part of your structural replication .

Good job then. 

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."