Builds without full masts

jks1981

Does anybody build without completing the masts and leave their model as a "hull only" display?  Building the Hermione currently and trying to understand how big it might be fully rigged and if there's any other options.  Obviously there's a ton of space saved by building the hull only, but is it outweighed by missing out on the rigging?  Clearly subjective but I'm still interested in hearing opinions.  Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current: Hermione La Fayette - Artesania Latina 1:89

Previous: Gjoa - Constructo 1:64

This one is absolutely builders choice - whether to build fully rigged; without masts; with stump masts or with flag staffs and banners ready for launching.

To set your mind at rest, here's a model of HMS 'Valiant' in the collection at the Chatham Royal Dockyards.

John

1908567688_32040.HMSValiant.thumb.JPG.61d9a9067f604a9189f9d9bdd5af248d.JPG

It is a matter of choice as John says,and I have debated the same question myself.

It also depends how steady your hands are. I have shaky hands when I try to do fiddly bits and find it very hard to tie the rigging on.

But I would also like to build a model of HMS Victory or any other sailing ship.

Therefore rather than miss out on building a nice model of a sailing vessel I personaly would build with mast stumps.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

John makes a good point. Ships weren't launched with masts installed. So if you make an "as launched" model you don't need the masts. Or if you wanted a small bit of rigging you could only install the lower masts, shrouds and stays.

I build restricted rig or unrigged models these days for space reasons, but I do like the look of hull only Navy Board style models.

I also like the look of models rigged with lower masts and standing rigging only, but without yards.

That said I do have several fully rigged models so my appetite for those is sated.

If you are looking for examples, here's a couple I have built in that manner.

011.thumb.JPG.651d615e339919fb5c13e8b361ea4d50.JPG

This Heller Victory built a good few years ago is an example  of lower standing rigging only, it represents a significant saving of space.

DSC09383.thumb.JPG.6123a2b8ed2c28c7e2b4d19a85e60a30.JPG

This build of the  Syren cutter Cheerful at 1:48 scale was restricted purely for space saving reasons, but I like the look.

1434663136_DSC04861(2).thumb.JPG.536d3cc1197c2a0e18d9d8cb1ba389ed.JPG

I wasn't quite done with cutters and I did want to rig one.

I chose the Vanguard models 1:64 scale build of Alert.

2131982682_DSC06322(2).thumb.JPG.c030659004f27a743c5710ca409aa083.JPG

That very long  Bowsprit coupled with the yards made for a large case, that I hadn't quite appreciated would be required.

Hope this helps to inform your decisions.

Regards,

B.E.

Nothing wrong with no masts or limited masts and rigging.  I'm in that same boat with others as far as space, so from the current build on, stub masts only.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for all the responses and photos!  Lots to consider....luckily I've got some time before I get to the stage of needing to make that decision.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current: Hermione La Fayette - Artesania Latina 1:89

Previous: Gjoa - Constructo 1:64

As many folks have advised above this really is a personal choice for you to make, but it should take into consideration cost, time, and space.    Regarding space, UV protection needs to be considered in some form so may affect where the model will be displayed.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

IMHO,  It depends on the “story” that you are trying to tell with your model.  

While there is considerable debate on this point, Dockyard model’s were probably built to demonstrate design features and as decorative gifts to officials who had some influence over shipbuilding.  In either case, everyone already knew what the rigging looked like so it was left off the model’s.   I personally find these unrigged models to be very appealing.  

There is currently a series of posts posts in the scratch built model area about a model of the French Solile (sp?) Royal.  The model maker came close to finishing the hull with its elaborate carvings before he died.  The post says that it is hoped that one of hid descendants will eventually finish it.  If the model were mine, I would put it in a glass case unfinished as a monument to its present builder.

On the other hand, models of Mid-Late Nineteenth Century Sailing Ships look like hulks without their powerful rigs. 

As modelers venture farther afield from the usual Victory, Bounty, Cutty Sark the options for presentation become more varied.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

9 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

As modelers venture farther afield from the usual Victory, Bounty, Cutty Sark the options for presentation become more varied.

Ain't that the truth!  

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU