Niagara by lb0190 - Model Shipways - 1/64

If you ever need to glue something over paint again, try carefully poking some tiny holes in the paint.   This usually helps adhesion.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Augie, another excellent idea!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

The bow sprite is painted. Tonight I'll apply wipe on poly and eventually dull-coat. The cap needs four eye-bolts installed, but I'll do that after its installed on the ship so I do not damage them. The eye-bolts are very small with a 0.015" dia shaft. I picked up a drill bit today sized at 0.016," hopefully one of my mandrels will handle this size.

post-277-0-65626400-1420406906_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-93382100-1420406979_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

I forgot to mention above that I also painted the two anchors and the aft cap rail. The anchors are cast white metal that does not hold acrylic paint very well even though I sanded and applied a thin primer. I'm thinking enamel may have been a better choice. I'll apply some WOP to see if that protects the paint from coming off so easy. I'll make wood anchor stocks like everyone else since them look much nicer than the supplied castings.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Yes, you'll like the wood stocks.  By the way, if you need to make black iron bands for them, think about black heat shrink electrical tubing.  I've got an assortment in flat black I think I picked up at Radio Shack...... probably 1/2" down to 1/16".  It takes paint and dullcoat well.  If not, there's always thick paper.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Augie,

The shrink tube sounds like a good idea. I have a small bundle of different sizes stashed somewhere. I'll give it a try...

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Heat shrink sounds like a great idea. I soldered brass strips & that was quite a chore that took a couple of days.

Hope it works for you fellas.  I've used it on anchor stocks, barrel rings, mast bands......

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I've managed to get a little work completed over the holidays, along with the usual amount of rework. The hull is painted along with two coats of Wipe On Poly (WOP). I also worked on one anchor, using Augie's suggestion of shrunk tube for simulating metal straps (worked out great - Thanks Augie).

I made the anchor ring out of some brass rod that was left over form another project. Solder world a not stick to it very well, probably due to not being clean enough. I did not think of sanding it down until after I made the ring. I did soak it in alcohol for a while, plus I tried several types of flux all to no avail. Heat was not an issue since I was using a mini torch. Since there is little stress on the ring, I just epoxied the ends together. I wrapped the ring using some rope supplied with the kit. I do not know what material was used for the rope, but it convinced me to order some of Chuck's from his Syren Company.

I made up a spread sheet listing rope and rigging blocks supplied from the kit, weighted against buying better replacements. All I can say is OMG on how quickly it adds up. I'll have to proceed with caution when going down this path. In respect to buying replacement rope and blocks, can anyone comment of how much extra you think is supplied by Model Expo. I do not expect an accurate number, knowing kits may vary and re-do's occur all the time, but any input on personal observations would be appreciated. I'll buy in batches as I go to help spread out the cost and to make sure I do not buy more than what is needed.

I noticed I had a lot of dust show up in the pictures. I guess I need to do a better job of cleaning off the parts before taking pictures or maybe get a lower res camera :)

Speaking of dust, it's a real PIA to deal with and thinking ahead as to when there will be masts, spars, rigging and all kinds of thing to collect dust, that would be difficult to clean off, are there any suggestions on how to minimize dust collection during a build. I was thinking of a curtain box, that would be lowered over the ship when I not working on it, but it sounds big and clumsy when thinking about it. So I thought I would break tradition and ask the many fine builders on MSW BEFORE I build something and ask afterwards where i went wrong... :)

Note: The bow sprite is held in place with tape - could not resist the photo op.

post-277-0-57717900-1420571153_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-46519600-1420571155_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-81268300-1420571212_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-58199900-1420571214_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-70226800-1420571216_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-70468100-1420571287_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-56352500-1420571290_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-45271200-1420571292_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-73390500-1420571294_thumb.jpg

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Looking good, Larry.  As for the dust, yes.....it's a nuisance.  The best 'cover' I've seen on MSW (and I don'r remember where) was one made of that PVC white pipe.  A few elbows and some plastic sheet and you've got a light cover ---- but it is clumsy.  I just try to keep the area clean, get the ship out of the way for sanding as much as possible and just blowing off the dust routinely.  A nice soft  and clean paintbrush also helps a lot.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Great work Larry. The hull is outstanding. Your anchor and bowsprit are wonderful representations as well. For my dust issues, I've used a large makeup brush. I get some funny looks when checking out at the register with said items, but the soft bristles are great at removing dust while keeping my ship intact. 

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Good morning Augie & Patrick,

It's a bit cool here in Florida this morning (37) and getting down to 27 tonight, a hard freeze that only occurs a couple times a year. Thank goodness the high will be low 60s with a gradual increase back to the 70's later this week. We keep saying we did not move far enough south... :)

Thanks for the compliments and advice. I like the idea of a dedicated specific type brush. I'll ck out both types. If the cover made of PVC and plastic curtains could be lowered and raised over the workbench without affecting the lighting I would consider that approach, but for right now I'll ck out a better brush,

I'm currently installing the cap rail and hope to finish it this week along with mounting the bowsprit. Next in line is mounting the ship and finishing the guns. Take care and stay warm.  

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

That's gonna be a long bowsprit Larry.

A real oeps factor !!!!!!!

But so far so good  :D  :D

I'm proud of you what you have done so far !

Sjors

Thank you Sjors. I hope you and Anja are doing well. Yes it adds some length to the build, but once I add the jib booms it will really be long.  

Four of the seven cap rails have been installed, hope to complete them this week.

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I completed installation of the toprail, mounted the bowsprit and completed the rudder (minus the chain). Below are a few pictures of the rudder uninstalled. The next set of pictures will have the rudder installed and the ship mounted to the display board. After three weeks of having 60 pounds of weight on the display board the very small warp came right back. It's so small I'll add thicker felt pads on one side so it does not rock.

The rudder was one of those tasks that I though "I'll knock this out in a day..." You think I would have learned by now :rolleyes: , five days later, it's ready to install. I had difficulty using a micro torch to solder the hinges together, but after I switched to my old iron, it soldered fine. I tried making the hinges using a nail as a hinge pin but I did not care for how it turned out. I ended up making two squared off horse shoe shaped hinges per hinge assemble, stacked one on top of the other and soldered the butt joint together. It seemed to be a pretty strong joint and fit in the rudder recess OK. The hinges were nailed in place using 0.016" dia round head nails. I drilled 0.016" holes, shortened the nails, applied CA glue to the end and pressed them in place. 

I used Blacken It on the hinges and nails, but like my previous efforts, the results were not too impressive. The material turned black but it flakes off leaving a very rustic look and not very black. I touched the metal with some black paint.

Time to head out to the boatyard to dissemble the rudder and mount it to the ship. Take care....

post-277-0-10078800-1421190573_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-17293200-1421190577_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Looks nice, Larry.  And I'm looking forward to those next photos  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks Augie. I'm anxious to ger her mounted. I may have to make an unexpected trip to Ohio over the next day or so that may cause a delay, but mounting the ship will be a milestone to me. I really dislike going to Ohio in the winter, but family comes first.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Here are my best wishes for a safe trip and successful outcome.  We'll keep a light burning in the gallery for you.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Great looking rudder Larry. I too, am looking forward to seeing more pictures. Bring a warm coat Larry. It is frigid here. What parts are you visiting by the way?

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Good morning Patrick & Augie,

I'm still waiting on news for my very cold trip to Ohio (destination Portsmouth, but probably fly into Columbus). My uncle (age 90) is in bad shape. He's retired army, served during WWII (Africa, Italy & Germany) as well as two tours in Korea - shot in both wars. Orders to Viet Nam was the deciding factor on retiring earlier than he wanted, had enough close calls, but hated to leave the service. 

I finished installing the rudder, just need to clean it up and touch up the paint here and there (never ending task). I may hang the rudder chains next but not sure if that is a smart thing to do not, due to risk of ripping them out. I may dismount my reloading press so I have more room to work and one less item to bang the ship against as I work. As usual the close ups show dust and areas to tidy up.

post-277-0-92181000-1421256804_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-18465700-1421256806_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-08001100-1421256810_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-59667200-1421256811_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-43238700-1421256813_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-72147400-1421256818_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-29234100-1421256820_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-39902900-1421256821_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I forgot to include the tiller shot in the above photos...

post-277-0-57096600-1421257781_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Caught up again, great save on the paint job really came out nice (that Tamiya tape is a great great thing!!).

Love watching this come together, the colors are superb and make it such an interesting ship!

Nice work!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thanks Adam. It's been a fun and challenging build. I'm a believer in the Tamiya tape, it worked out much better than the other two brands I was using.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Looking really good, Larry. I really like the photo of the run of the planking underneath the stern. I also like the narrow deck planks. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Larry, sorry to hear about your Uncle. I hope he starts doing better. The pictures look great.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Thank you Steve. I appreciate your taking time to look in and write.

Patrick, Thank you for the compliment and for being concerned. We were told it's just a matter of time and the current effort is to keep him as comfortable as possible. 

Thank you Edwin! I hope you and yours have a healthy and joyful new year. 

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Larry, I forgot to mention, I really like how you incorporated the ring bolt detail on the exterior of your hull next to the gun ports. That's one of those details I wish I had included.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Good morning Patrick,

Thanks! I seen the detail on the plans, but really admired how nice it looked on Bahamas Diver's Niagara. I was lucky enough to find some sq PVC the size I needed so all I had to really do is figure out how to cut such a small part somewhat consistently. The thickness varied a bit but once glued in place I could sand them down a bit.

I'm thinking about using the same materiel (slightly bigger size) for my carronades. I do not care for the look of using wedges for gun elevation and seen a photograph on MSW (I think it was the Niagara??) where a jack-screw was used. I found some no. 90 brass screws. If I cut off the screw heads and mount the bottom of the shaft to a square piece of PVC, I may be able to glue turn handles on the sq blocks using a small drop of glue at the end of the handle to simulate a knob, then plaint it black. The biggest problem with this, if it can be done and looks OK is doing it 18 times!   :) I'll mock up one gun to see how it goes. Meanwhile, I just completed my first order to Syren for rope and rigging blocks. 

Patrick, your Niagara looks awesome and it's an inspiration for me when I get frustrated with my build.

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful