Niagara by lb0190 - Model Shipways - 1/64

great looking hull Larry.......almost ready to start fitting out the deck  ;)    hope your Uncle is doing better.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye,

Thanks for looking in, for the compliment and for asking about my uncle. Yes, I'm finally at the part where it's starting to look like a real ship. My uncle passed away today which means I'll be heading up to Ohio this weekend. He was 90 years old and has had a rough time over the past few months. 

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

My deepest sympathy on your uncle's passing.  Have a safe trip.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thank you gentlemen.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Larry, I'm very sorry to hear about your Uncle. Have a safe trip to Ohio. I'll try to hold the weather off best I can while you're here.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thank you Patrick. If you can influence the big guy into a few days of warm weather and sunshine it would be appreciated.   :)

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Hi Larry, just catching up on your progress. The hull turned out real nice!!...... while reading through saw the sad news about your uncle. My

sympathy goes out to you and your family. Have a safe trip.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Carl & Frank,

Thanks for the condolences and for looking in on my build. Looks like I'm heading north this Tuesday. I'm pretty happy with how the build is going so far, especially considering it's my second build. I'm really looking fwd to trying a build with some nicer wood, maybe a leap to the dark side - I kinda have my eye on Chuck's English Cutter Cheerful :)

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I have a small update to present prior to my trip. I managed to install the chock rail and the bow pin rail. The pins are nor glued in yet so they are sitting a little crooked in the photos. I also made the bell housing and hung the bell with some black thread. I'm not completely satisfied with how the thread looks but I'll look at it again once I return from my trip and mount it then if I decide to keep it as is. The plans calls for a cleat on the starboard side of the bell housing, but the kit supplied cleat looks way too big so I cut one out of wood.

post-277-0-34111400-1421619230_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-86905200-1421619231_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-95578600-1421619234_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-32388600-1421619236_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-82925600-1421619237_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

looking good Larry........sorry to hear about your uncle.......thoughts are with you my friend!  I wish you well,  and fair winds in your travels.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Popeye.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Very nice Larry. You're right about the kit supplied cleats and I did the same thing with mine as well. 

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Good moring Patrick. Thank you. I'm going to search for some manufactured cleats that look decent and are the right size. The thought of making them does not appeal to me and more importantly I cannot imagine my making them all a consistent size. If I find a source, I'll post the vendor info. The voice in my head is saying I'll be making them and counting cleats in my head as I sleep. :)

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Larry, when I did the cleats, I took a page from Dan Vadas and made all of them consistent by gluing strip wood together to get the profile and then cutting them from that. One of his more recent posts on his build log of Vulture shows what I'm talking about. He was making the shroud cleats I think.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Larry,

I really like that close-up shot of the inside of the bow with the waterways, the supports for the hawsepipes, the decking, the clean paint lines, etc. Very nice work. The Niagara looks like a fun build.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Thanks Steve! Yes it is a fun build and very challenging for me. I'm picking up new skills and learning a lot. Im thankful for the advice and shared experience from everyone on MSW.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

So I found this picture on Facebook of all places, and thought you might find it interesting (or inspiring!).  It's my new desktop background.

Click for huge-ish:

post-14925-0-89537300-1421908044_thumb.jpg

Good (cold) Morning Brian,

THANK YOU. For the picture. That is an awesome view of her. Seeing the ship in person is in my to-do list. I can hardly wait to get home to warmer weather... I've turned into a wimp since moving to Florida. :)

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I used small pins bent to a 90 deg. angle to hold the wet planks until dry, then finalized the fit before gluing on my Niagara.  I believe the plans or book suggested this technique.  Don't forget to bevel the edges of the plank; that should help with the gaps.

Really nice photo.  Thanks for posting.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Have some more!

Note that the last two have her under full sail, supposedly a fairly unusual thing to happen, unfortunately those are not in nearly as high-resolution as the others.

post-14925-0-87553100-1421945595_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-58403100-1421945596_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-14921100-1421945597_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-40845200-1421945597_thumb.jpg

With that low-in-the-water profile and immense bowsprit I could recognize her from 5 miles out.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

With that low-in-the-water profile and immense bowsprit I could recognize her from 5 miles out.

That apparently was characteristic of USN brigs and may well have led to a greater-than-normal casualty rate.

Niagara is reported to have 'walked away from' the 'Tall Ship' fleet when she accompanied them on the first leg of their return to Europe one year.  Calm seas and light winds.  She's a thoroughbred.

I like the pictures, I hope I will have room on the buffet to make her my next build after The Morgan. She's really a sleek looking ship.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Good morning John,

Yes, she is a good looking ship! I hope my finished product does her justice. I think you would enjoy the build.

I'm back form my trip and was happy to see my first order from Chuck's Syren Co has arrived and based on my experience and what I see, it will not be my last order. I'll share this experience in case it's beneficial to others.

• On line ordering was simple to follow with no issues.
  • I ordered on Thur Jan 15 and on the same day rec'ed three emails. One was a receipt from paypal, the second was was a confirmation letter and thank you from Chuck with the third being item shipped. Very impressive!
  • The items arrived the following Monday after I left for my trip up north. Arrival in four days is outstanding in my book.
  • I had a couple of minutes this morning to confirm contents matched my order and I took a couple of photos to compare Syren parts vs OEM from my Niagara kit. 
  • In my opinion based on my initial look, the Syren blocks and rope are hands down much better than what was supplied with the kit. I would not hesitate to use the kit supplied items if I had to, but I had options and liked what I purchased. The OEM blocks supplied for the carronades looked a bit rough and too big for me and I did not want to sand them down to try and get a smaller size. I ordered the smallest pear blocks Chuck offered and they will do the job nicely.
  • I used the OEM rope for my ships bell but it does not hang right (I will replace) and I could see I would be fighting that issue on all of the rigging. Chucks rope looks like it will hang more natural and it just plain looks right to me.
  • Below are a few pictures, on the left side of the photos are Syren products with OEM on the right. Hopefully resolution is good enough for you to see and appreciate the difference.

post-277-0-40317100-1422289239_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-14488000-1422289243_thumb.jpg

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Hi Larry, thanks for posting this. It reminded me that I need to complete my order with Chuck. I started putting it together a few days ago, and then got busy working on the Morgan and as usual, I forgot to finish it. I'm going to need some stuff from him and I want to have it on hand when the time comes. Blocks and line also. Looks nice and it'll really look good on the ship.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Wise choice Larry - the line in the MS kits is the one big issue I have with them.  That nylon crap is absolutely terrible and after playing with it a bit I would never even attempt to rig a ship with it.

Excellent choice, Larry.  Thanks for the side by side.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976