Niagara by lb0190 - Model Shipways - 1/64

I have bought stuff from Syren as well. I can't say enough good things about the products and service. My goal is to purchase the armament, blocks, hooks and rigging blocks from Syren for my L'Hermione build. I would love to do it for my other ship projects, but don't have the budget.

They should add a very nice dynamic, to your stellar build of the Niagara.

- Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for stopping by and for the compliment. Yes the Syren products are very nice and even though the prices are friendly they sure do add up if you replace everything supplied with the kit. I'll buy in stages so the cost is spread out over time.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Larry,

I just jumped on your log and find that we are at about the same stage with Niagara. I am interested in your comments about the kit line as I have experimented with it and didn't like the way looked of felt. You mentioned Syren. Where do I find them? Once I figure out how to post pictures I'll probably start a log. Your build is looking good. 

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Welcome aboard. I'm anxious to see photos of your ship. To find Syren all you need to do is click the "Forums" link at the top of the page, then look on the right edge over half way down. If you cannot find it there, here is the url: http://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com

I hope to have an update on my progress next week.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

I've completed a few items and thought it was enough for a few photos. I mounted the ships bell but not before changing the OEM rope for Chuck's rope. It now hangs more natural. I also changed the bell handle due to the first handle having a knob that was too big and out of scale. I finished the remaining hatches and mounted them in place. I used grating for all but the center hatch which shows cover boards. Flush mounting the hatches was a decision I will not repeat on any future builds, due to it not looking as natural as it could. I also mounted the two anchor chaffs but still nee to paint them. The capstan is finally mounted to the deck and I installed the spanker sheet horse just below the stern cap-rail.

I have a question regarding the belaying pins. Your opinion on how to address the color would be appreciated. The OEM parts are brass which looks nice but I suspect not realistic. Do you think I should leave them alone, paint them a wood color, blacken them or ....????

Next is adding the attachments to the bulwarks followed by the deck structures.

Sorry about the dust, nicks etc.. Every time I look the build over (especially with that darn macro setting) I see things that need fixed. I'm trying to hold of as much as possible so I do the repairs as few times as possible   :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  

post-277-0-83082500-1422807210_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-38742800-1422807213_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-00880700-1422807219_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-61336500-1422807220_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-21125200-1422807223_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-23009500-1422807225_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-88194900-1422807228_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-65886700-1422807230_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-98209500-1422807231_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-81879100-1422807320_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-67179200-1422807322_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Dust and nicks?  Looks like she just rolled out of the showroom to me!  VERY nice.

The belaying pins are really Cap'ns choice.  You're starting with brass and you could use them 'as is' which looks nice but is not really accurate. Personally, I would only leave them brass on an all natural (unpainted) ship. You can blacken chemically or with paint.  Actually, I've done both together --- blackening first then painting.  That gives a very durable finish. Or you can go with a wood finish (paint).  

Decisions, decisions   :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Larry, Niagara is looking awesome! I blackened my belaying pins and was very happy with the results. Like Augie said though, it's Captain's discretion.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Looks very nice Larry. I blackened mine as much as I liked the polished brass, but I didn't have any Blaken-It at the time so I painted them black. Looking back I would have blakened them first, then painted them again after I got them into the pinrails. Most I've ever seen were a rough natural wood finish and mostly covered up with the ropes and lines. Unfortunately if they were brass in real life, it would take a crane to get them into the pinrails - they'd weight 400 lbs...lol. Keep up the good work, I love the color scheme on this ship.....again, Capn's perogative.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Augie, Patrick & Steve,

Thanks for the compliments and for your opinions. I was leaning toward blacking the pins with paint being my 2nd option, so here are the blacken-it results and the Captain approves!  Thanks for the help!

Digital cameras are amazing. The handle sticking out from the ship's bell is 0.015" (0.38mm) diameter.

post-277-0-30688700-1422830653_thumb.jpg

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Thanks for looking in John and for the compliments. I agree, black looks much better than the bright brass. I really disliked the idea of painting all of those pins... :o

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Hi Larry,

Well done so far !!!!!!!!

I agree with John, black pins are much better !

Paint 10 every day and before you know it, done !!  :D  :D

Sjors

Hi Sjors,

I agree it looks much better black than than the bright brass. I used Blacken-It which worked pretty good (so far). I just finished sanding all of my cast metal cleats. I think I'm going crossed eyed due to how many there were. Now it's time to try the blacken-it on the cleats, but I'll ck the plans first in case they suggest a color.

Edit

The plans say the cleats should be bright - natural wood color. I tried to blacken a couple of them but it did not take color very well so it looks like I will paint them.

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Larry,

You are sanding the brass metal ?

I have a spray what I use.

For me it's working perfect.

It called : metal primer for undercoating metal parts from Tamiya

I don't know if you can find that .

If you can, give it a try.

Sjors

HI Sjors, thanks for the help. The metal is a white metal casting that's pretty rough. The sanding cleans it up a bit knocking off flashing and mold split lines plus it leaves a little bite for the paint to stick. I need to buy a wood colored paint to airbrush on, I'll look for the Tamiya primer while I'm there. I have a primer I have used before but it goes on so heavy it hides details. I suspect the Tamiya primer is thin enough not to hide details - thanks again.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Here is a very small update. I'm lucky to have a family owned hobby store within 6 miles of my home, so I took Sjor's suggestion and picked up a spray can of Tamiya primer. The store has it in white and gray. I have two other primers I do not care for especially for small metal parts so I thought I would try Tamiya. Tamiya sprayed on very nice with a thin even coat which I'm happy with. I then sprayed on a coat of Tamiya buff which is a slightly different shade than the Model Expo paint, but I'll see how it looks next to the other colors before deciding if I keep it for the cleats.

I also made the eight capstan bars which will be mounted near the stern, four on each side. I tried turning down some round bamboo stock but it was more trouble than it was worth. I could not get the diameter consistent enough to satisfy me using a drill as a turning tool. I ended up using styrene rods at 0.046" diameter attached to 1/16" sq basswood. I realize the color is not to spec but it simply looked better to me. 

I had a visitor today, a friend who is what I consider to be an expert at building model ships - especially when compared to my building skills. He brought his latest project with him, which when complete will be a fully rigged Confederacy, that is starting as a Hahn build but bashed to reflect specifications he is researching. The build currently has pear, ebony, cherry and I think boxwood. I attached a few pictures...

As usual I cannot figure out how to post the photos in a specific order....

post-277-0-10446300-1423083508_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-86542400-1423083509_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-30603900-1423083512_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-57754700-1423083558_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-73443400-1423083617_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-48158200-1423083619_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-77816600-1423083621_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I'm back form my trip and was happy to see my first order from Chuck's Syren Co has arrived and based on my experience and what I see, it will not be my last order. I'll share this experience in case it's beneficial to others.

Do you recall the part numbers? Looks like something I'm going to want to do.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Here is the item list from my order, but be aware I'm changing sizes and it's just the initial list of items I wanted to try. I suggest you bump the Model Expo parts list against what you want to buy from Syren.

==== Items ====

.008 (.20mm) LIGHT Brown Rigging Line - 20' per package - Linen/Cotton Blend
SKU 008LBR
Weight 0.00lbs

Quantity: 2
Price (each): $4.50

.025 (.63mm) LIGHT Brown Rigging Line - 20' per package - Linen/Cotton Blend
SKU 025LBR
Weight 0.00lbs

Quantity: 1

.008 (.20mm) Black Rigging Line - 20' per package - Linen/Cotton Blend
SKU 008B
Weight 0.00lbs

3mm Black hooks for rigging your ship model
SKU RH-3
Weight 0.00lbs

Price (each): $9.00

.025 (.63mm) Black Rigging Line - 20' per package - Linen/Cotton Blend
SKU 025B
Weight 0.00lbs

KIT - 3 mm Boxwood Deadeyes - KIT- 28 per pack - Assemble them yourself
SKU 3BDK
Weight 0.00lbs

Price (each): $5.50

3/32" (2.5 mm) Single Sheave SWISS PEAR Rigging Blocks - (50 per pack)
SKU RB3-32S-P
Weight 0.00lbs

Price (each): $12.50

1/8" (3 mm) Single Sheave SWISS PEAR Rigging Blocks - (50 per pack)
SKU RB1-8S-P
Weight 0.00lbs

Price (each): $12.50

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Nice bars, nice paint.

And very nice Confed.  That Hahn full framing is way beyond my capabilities.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I made a little progress over the weekend. First, I repainted the cleats using Model Expo bluff color. The Tamiya Bluff was different enough in color it did not look right with the existing colors on the build. I loved how it sprayed and was already the right viscosity for an air-brush. I also mounted the small cleats on the port side along with the mooring cleats. I made the mount bracket for the capstan bars and mounted the bars along with the aft bitts which are next to the aft grate. The bitts look crooked in the photo but upon seeing this I went back to the garage and verified they are straight. The bits are very small and were difficult to make to get them close enough to suit me. The basswood sure does fuzz up! I pinned them to the deck for a stronger bond.

I forgot to take a photo down the length of the hull, but I'll get that view the next time. Of course I only been working on the port side other than the starboard bitt, but I'll move over to the other side soon.

Edit: I set the tiller angle too low, one more item for the to-do list.

post-277-0-36035300-1423439254_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-35335100-1423439255_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-69878800-1423439303_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-41425200-1423439305_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-05019400-1423439307_thumb.jpg

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

So you haven't started using it yet? If you remember, let me know how it worked for you.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Brian, what item are you inquiring about?

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

All coming together very nicely.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks Augie. It's coming together slowly, but at a pace I'm comfortable with. I'm currently researching serving machines (I have little desire to make my own rope - at least for right now) and considering the two below:

My first choice - http://www.shipahoymodels.com/equipmentforsale.htm

Looks very nice but bigger hit on my ship building budget -  http://www.shipworkshop.com/

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Haven't really gotten involved with either up to this point.  That Domanoff site looks interesting.  I wonder if the price on that serving machine includes the bottle of VSOP brandy pictured ????

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Looking great, Larry!!! While looking at yours and other Niagara logs, It's taking a LOT of self-discipline on my part NOT to sideline my current project (Revell 1:96 Constitution) and start on my Niagara kit!

"Any officer can get by on his sergeant. To be a sergeant you really have to know your stuff. I'd rather be an outstanding sergeant than just another officer." - SgtMaj Daniel J. Daly, USMC, 1921.

:piratebo5:Tom  :piratebo5:

Current Builds:

1. Revell's 1/96 USS Constitution 

2. Model Shipways 1/64 Niagara 

Haven't really gotten involved with either up to this point.  That Domanoff site looks interesting.  I wonder if the price on that serving machine includes the bottle of VSOP brandy pictured ????

Hi Augie, the brandy would be the tie breaker for me. :). Out of curiosity we bought a legal bottle of moonshine - Wooohoooo it had a kick and a burn.

Looking great, Larry!!! While looking at yours and other Niagara logs, It's taking a LOT of self-discipline on my part NOT to sideline my current project (Revell 1:96 Constitution) and start on my Niagara kit!

Thanks Tom. It's been a fun and challenging build. You can always buy the kit when on sale and defy the urge to open her up until your current build is complete.

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

That'd help, huh? The parts you bought from Syren. I think I understood you bought them in anticipation, but have not used them yet, so you don't know if they'll be the right parts. If you haven't used them yet (which it doesn't look like you have) let me know how they work. If you have used them, let me know and I'll buy them now.

In Dry Dock:

That Domanoff site looks interesting.

I have it. Seriously solid build. I haven't used it yet, but I've read from many that it's fantastic. Took about a week to get it here to the states.

The only thing I saw a complaint about was the the holes the threaded rods go through should be greased with a heavy weight grease.

In Dry Dock:

Hi Guys, I am currently using Alexey's Serving machine. It does squeak a little, but not sure I would grease it as it could get messy while you're changing things around. I have shown a number of pictures in my build log on my website, as well as have it featured on th Tools & Resources page on the site. I highly recommend it. I would not be able to serve my lines without. Check it out for more information. It takes about 3 weeks average to get things from him and his prices include shipping.

Thanks,

John

http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com