Niagara by lb0190 - Model Shipways - 1/64

Just be cautious.  You don't want the CA to stiffen the line itself and interfere with the way it hangs down to the coil.  The thin CA will wick right down the line.  I use the medium here...you only need a microscopic droplet to hold the line in the block.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Augie. Too much CA was my concern, but I'll try to control the amount using the no. 11 Blade tip. I'll use a kit block to test out the process.

I'm absolutely happy I spent the money to buy Chuck's blocks and hooks! The size is much closer to scale and they look so much better than the kit supplied parts.

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Perfect timing. I was debating on weather or not to even attempt them. Great work.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Your welcome Brian. Don't forget to use Chuck's picture for reference, on how he rigged them.

238320978.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

really looking nice Larry........well done on the rigging!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Popeye,

Thank you. I hope to finish the rigging on the port side today or tomorrow at the latest.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Thank you Sjors, but your rigging and build looks great!

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted any progress and I planned on having more work complete before doing so but now seemed like a good time. I have to clean up the shipyard to set my reloading equip back up to help out a friend so I'll take a short break from the Niagara build.

Since my last post with pictures I've completed the following:

• All twenty guns assembled and mounted to the deck​ 
  • Rigging blocks and tackle attached to the guns but rope coils need added to nineteen and jack-screws are needed for seventeen.
  • The tiller rigging has been added. My tiller angle is too low, but I may just leave it as is. I also plan on adding rope coils for the tiller, positioned aft of the most aft guns.
  • I installed the starboard and port pin rails plus belaying pins and if you look close you can see the tension rods under each pin rail.
  • The stove smokestack has been assembled and still needs some clean up from painting. I did not like smokestack provided with the kit, so I made this up up using brass, wood, tape and styrene, plus CA glue to simulate fastener heads on the plate surface.

post-277-0-57753400-1432574615_thumb.jpg

As she now sits.

post-277-0-37765900-1432574690_thumb.jpg

Need to add rope coils and maybe raise height of tiller handle

post-277-0-68097300-1432574760_thumb.jpg

You have to look close to see the rail pin tension rods. I used 0.017" dia wire. I wanted to use smaller to scale it better but could not find any locally.

post-277-0-64691900-1432574880_thumb.jpg

Sitting loose over a mast hole due to dowel sticking out of the button

post-277-0-04755300-1432574882_thumb.jpg

Bashed (with primer) next to OEM provided smokestack 

post-277-0-86203800-1432574962_thumb.jpg

Sitting loose over the mount hole

post-277-0-80104300-1432574965_thumb.jpg

My painting is pretty bad.  should have used the air-brush.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Thank you Edwin! It's been an enjoyable build.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Doing a great job on her Larry. That improvised smoke-stack and the rail-tension wires look fine. 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks George!

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

you've made some wicked nice progress there Larry.........I think your painting looks great.    very nice detail there!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye! I'm getting close to going vertical.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

• 2 weeks later...

Larry your paint job is fantastic.  Neat, clean and crips - I am jealous!!

Lookin snazzy!!! :D

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thanks Adam! I like the results I get with the airbrush over the hand brush. I just do not have the patience others have for lots of thin hand painted coats

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Larry. I just spent some time going over your log again from start to now. You've come a long way m friend. She's looking really good. Starting to wonder if I have the patience to build this thing after finishing the Morgan. The guns are really a challenge. I really enjoyed seeing the ship today and took about 180 +/- pictures. The real ship only has 2 guns rigged on her so it's hard to realise what she's like with all the guns on deck. I'll post these on my website over the next few days if the "limited" internet access that is available to me here at the RV park allows me. The anchor rope currently is stowed on deck forward of the Foremast, some of the models at the museum show the ropes going aft on deck and then down a hatch, but I could not get access to that area to see where they might go. All of the pictures will be posted in the Gallery section of my website, and I'll provide you with the link once I have them posted. If you need any of the individual pictures just tell me which ones and I'll email them to you. She's a beautiful ship, and yours will look wonderful once finished. Hope these will help you.

Enjoy,

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hi Larry. I just spent some time going over your log again from start to now. You've come a long way m friend. She's looking really good. Starting to wonder if I have the patience to build this thing after finishing the Morgan. The guns are really a challenge. I really enjoyed seeing the ship today and took about 180 +/- pictures. The real ship only has 2 guns rigged on her so it's hard to realise what she's like with all the guns on deck. I'll post these on my website over the next few days if the "limited" internet access that is available to me here at the RV park allows me. The anchor rope currently is stowed on deck forward of the Foremast, some of the models at the museum show the ropes going aft on deck and then down a hatch, but I could not get access to that area to see where they might go. All of the pictures will be posted in the Gallery section of my website, and I'll provide you with the link once I have them posted. If you need any of the individual pictures just tell me which ones and I'll email them to you. She's a beautiful ship, and yours will look wonderful once finished. Hope these will help you.

Enjoy,

John

Good morning John. Your a good friend to take so much time taking and posting pictures - thank you! I'm anxious to see them. I have no doubt you would produce an excellent Niagara if you decided to build her. The biggest obstacles for me was the scale being so small and the issues with basswood. Both of these items will help drive my decision on my next build selection.

When time has permitted, I've been working on the deck structures. I've just completed the three small cabins and water pump but still need to mount them. I'll look them over one more time before I glue them to the deck and take pictures for an update.

Enjoy your trip and be safe!

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Since my last update, I've made the following items; Captains Quarters, Companionway, Salon Skylight and Bilge pump. All four items are sitting loose on the deck, close to where they will be mounted, except for the bilge pump. The pump has a wire sticking out of the bottom and I have yet to locate and drill the hole, so for the photos below it's sitting over a mast hole. 

This is the first time I sat the pump on the deck and it looks a bit too large for the scale, but I'll ck it out closer before mounting it, I hope it correct... :D   I tried the "typical corner joints" for the cabins as detailed by the drawings but the scale, soft basswood and my skill level simply did not work well for this type of detail, so I simply made alternating butt joints for all three cabins. I found black 0.010 mono-filament cord to use for the window bars and I used the clear plastic from a DVD case for the glass. 

I'll probably hold off mounting the above until I finish the gun coils and gun jack-screws so I have plenty of room to access the gun area. Fife Rails are next on the list, along with the stern davits and catheads. I'm really procrastinating on making the jack-screws due to their being so darn small and such a pia to make, but it WILL happen, just not sure when...  :P

post-277-0-15112500-1434567031_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-08075400-1434567033_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-72935300-1434567034_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-17566000-1434567036_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-86055400-1434567037_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-49411400-1434567040_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-06067800-1434567043_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-12036900-1434567045_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-64464300-1434567046_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Hi Larry. Here's the link to all the photographs of the Niagara on my website. It was my pleasure to get these. I hope to be building the Niagara before the end of the year. Let me know if you need any more specific pictures. The anchor and ropes are shown for you. The ropes on the 1/2" scale model show the lines going aft and down a hatch through a hole. The other rigging for the anchor is interesting and I got several good photos of how it's rigged up. Hope this helps.

John

Link:

http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/us-brig-niagra.html

Edited by texxn5

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

John, I'll take a close look at all of the photos and save many of them to my iPad so I can reference them at the workbench. I'm sure they will be a great help. An initial quick look shows the anchor rope detail is what I needed.

George, thanks for the compliment and for following my build.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Larry, it looks like under the current configuration that the 3" black anchor rope is stowed in a large coil just forward of the Foremast. The mooring lines are laid out on deck and are 2" whhite rope. The large 1/2" model shows it on deck, then thfough a hole in the hatch cover amidship. Glad these will help you. I really like the detail of the anchors hanging from the Catheads and sheaved blocks.

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

Thanks for the rope size info. I would have guessed incorrectly and missed by a mile. The black anchor rope looks much bigger than 3"...   :)

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Hi Larry, yeah 3". Do you realize how big a 3" rope is???? It's large and heavy and used on many anchors. It does look larger than 3" though, so vey easy to think it's bigger. Does the kit come with anchor rope? As for scale rope it's hard to find if not in the kit. Chuck has some large scale rope, but not sure if it's that size or not.

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

Good morning John, I've never seen a 3" rope other than pictures, I bet it's heavy to handle. I do not recall seeing anything in the Niagara kit but between Morope and Chucks rope I'm sure I'll find something suitable. I recall seeing some rope wrapped around wire somewhere which may work well but I'll need to review my notes to find it again. 3 inches is 0.046" dia. at scale - I just looked and seen that Chuck has 0.045.

Hello Edwin, thank you!!! It's turning out ok for a second build. I'm pretty satisfied with her but like most builders I can name every single error that most people would not even see

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

John, I just reviewed your pictures again as well as your notes. You mentioned the ship was a reproduction. Do you know if they used any of the recovered timbers from the original ship in the rebuild?

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful