Niagara by lb0190 - Model Shipways - 1/64

Good morning Larry. Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I noticed the pawls for the Capstan also, and intended to point that out for you. The Niagra was built locally in Erie specifically for the war of 1812. They truthfully didn't care if it survived or not and so it was not a fancy warship....just pretty plain Jane. The quarters are really cramped and the overhead height is about 5'2" or so. I'm 5'8" and had to bend over the whole time I was on the lower deck - especially the Galley and Galley Camboose. After the war she was scuttled off of Presque Isle (about a mile from where she's moored right now. The thought was that she would stay better preserved under water rather than tied to a pier to rot away. They recovered what was left of her in the 1980's I believe and they were wrong in that she was pretty rotten and mostly fell apart. They salvaged what they could and then completely rebuilt her in the late 80's early 90's. The only visible part of the original ship is in the Officer's quarters near the large table in the photographs. The stained wood framed openings for the First Mate are original. There are 2 framed openings to the left side of the table in the photo. The Captains Quarters are behind this area and has the large desk and the bed to the left in the photo. There is a lot of junk and supplies on the desk for reference.

post-3041-0-55664000-1434631792_thumb.jpg

post-3041-0-58599500-1434631837_thumb.jpg

post-3041-0-66356200-1434631868_thumb.jpg

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thank you Sjors. I hope your extra hours are winding down soon. We always enjoyed the extra money when working extended hours but always happy when it ends.

Thanks for the details John. Seeing the pictures made me move seeing her in person a higher priority on my wish list.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

I managed to get some work accomplished over the past few weeks. The catheads are installed except for the tension rod. I need to pull to fwd facing eyebolts and reinstall. I did not notice how crooked they are until after I took the photos. They were evenly installed but i noticed the spacing was not quite right so I pulled them and reinstalled them crooked on the other plane! The aft boat davits were also installed, as well as the fore and aft fife rails. I still need to install the cleat on the aft fife as well as the bitt knees. The fife rails and bilge pump are pinned but will not be glued in place until I'm sure they are in the correct position or do not need any rework.

Next on the list are the channels and chainplates.... 

Again, sorry about the dust and paint nicks but after all it is a construction site...  :10_1_10:  :10_1_10:  :10_1_10:

post-277-0-20477300-1435255056_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-81496800-1435255059_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-70992500-1435255143_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-63712500-1435255645_thumb.jpg

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Looking like the real thing Larry. Very nice.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

You're doing an awesome job on her Larry! Love those over-all deck shots, showing off all her teeth. :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thank you John and George! I'm getting closer to going vertical!

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Really looking sharp!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thank you Augie. :)

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

As time permits, I've been working on the channel chainplates. This is a first for me and to say it's a challenge is an understatement. I tried several different methods and settled on one using pins in a board to help shape the wire. I'm trying to keep the OAL within the drawing spec but I'll know how well I did once they are hanging on the ship.

I also recently purchased a wood chopper from NorthWest Short Line and after market soldering station at a Hamfest. Both work great and after using the chopper a few times, wished I found it day one when I started with this hobby.

post-277-0-04351100-1436022128_thumb.jpg

Jig for deadeye, similar type wire jig used for links.

post-277-0-05918300-1436022230_thumb.jpg

Some of the links soldered. My soldering skills have deteriorated, no signs that I used to install and solder strain gages... :D

One assembly together with first effort at blacking - needs more work! Once assembled, I'll rotate the deadeye to it's proper point and use CA to prevent it from rotating.

post-277-0-18211800-1436022235_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-22950600-1436022266_thumb.jpg

Single edge razor blade held in by a single screw. Extra screws were provided.

post-277-0-66214300-1436022271_thumb.jpg

From the top, walnut, pear and basswood. All with very clean cuts.

post-277-0-68465400-1436022269_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-85735500-1436022236_thumb.jpg

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I'm sure they'll turn out fine Larry. I expect to be going through all these "trial and error" scenarios myself when I start mine, and everything will be a first time for me as well.  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Thanks George. They are so small, it's difficult to work with, but I suspect they will look fine, once installed. I'll hold off pinning them in place until I work on the shrouds so they line up correctly.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Ahhhh...the fun begins. Looking good my friend, challenges for sure. I hadn't done them before either. It seems this is one of those things that practice makes perfect. I started on an area that I thought wouldn't show mistakes much and progressed along improving as I did each one. Knowing the direction I would display the ship I started on the port mizzen and worked forward. Have fun it's just starting now....

John

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

That's a good idea John. The problem for me is, as I build the good side keeps changing.

Kidding aside, I'm looking fwd to working on the masts and rigging.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I'm playing catch up again, Larry.  Looking sweet indeed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good morning Mark. Thanks. I seen that you pulled some planks. It's tough to go backwards but I'm sure you'll be happier with the redo. That's something I struggle with, deciding what is good enough.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

you are among a cavalcade of first timers Larry.........I raise my hand as well  ;)    playing so long with plastic and fishing boats,  really hasn't given me too many opportunities to try them either.   mass assembly isn't fun either  ;)   looks like your well on your way.

nice tools BTW............wish I had that chopper when I was planking those three hulls....... :wacko:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye, thanks for looking in. I wish I found this hobby years ago, but then again without MSW and the help from others such as yourself I probably would not had much luck at finishing one. Yes that chopper is really nice, did you see the "Caution Sharp Blade" written on the body? In case you were wondering if it's true, I confirmed its accurate.... I mistakenly left the handle up and that was all it took. Pain is such a good teacher :) nothening serious in regard to the cut but it was a quick lesson to leave the handle down! :)

It seems inevitable that anytime I get anything new that has a sharp edge, it's not really mine until I cut myself. :)

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Hi Frankie, yes I realized the pins are way out of scale but they are all I had and my making them would look even worse. I have not glued them in place yet due to the size issue and may eventually look into buying some that are closer to scale. I have a grocery list of items to address or accept at some point. Thanks for pointing it out :) and for visiting my build.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

It seems inevitable that anytime I get anything new that has a sharp edge, it's not really mine until I cut myself. :)

It seems as if there's an unwritten law in model shipbuilding..."There will be blood".   I think we've done that.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It seems as if there's an unwritten law in model shipbuilding..."There will be blood". I think we've done that.

You can think of it as leaving your DNA print on each build... :)

Sometimes I walk into the house from the shipyard and the Admiral says, OMG where are you cut. Oh course I usually completely unaware.

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Hi Frankie, yes I realized the pins are way out of scale but they are all I had and my making them would look even worse. I have not glued them in place yet due to the size issue and may eventually look into buying some that are closer to scale. I have a grocery list of items to address or accept at some point. Thanks for pointing it out :) and for visiting my build.

Larry,

I wouldn't worry about this too much until you've gotten rigging on one of them.  The belaying pins on my Carmen are super out of scale, but you can't actually see any of the rigged ones since they are almost completely covered by the rope!

If you are planning to add rope coils hanging off the pins as well as properly wrapping the rope around the pins to belay it, you may find that your pins are almost completely hidden as well, so the scale won't matter visually at all, as long as you don't place any pins in empty belaying points.

That's a good point Brian. I do plan on hanging rope coils. As you suggest, I'll take the "wait and see" approach. Thanks for looking in and for your suggestion.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

awwww........just say it Larry........you did it for a reason.....:D  :D  :D   most folks will be so taken by the overall appearance,  that they will forget that they left their microscope at home.   but.......if there are some to be vacant and you plan to show it,  perhaps a little tweaking might be in order.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Popeye... lol. The jury is still out on replacing them. We'll see if it eats a hole in my head waffling on the decision. After all, what's one more hole...

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Careful with the extra holes Larry. They can cause vital bodily fluids to start leaking out!  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Thanks George but I may already be a quart low... :). :). :)

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

It's too hot to do much work in the garage so a quick minor update sounds like a good thing to do. I finished one channel with chain-plates, on the fwd starboard side. I'll use three steel pins and CA plus PVA glue to mount it in place. The photo shows it with the three pins holding it in place dry. The center pin hole is slightly too high on the hull which shows up in the photo. I'll make the center hole a bit bigger to correct the bow and secure the pins in place with med CA along with PVA for the wood to wood contact.  I was going to start on the aft channel, but after giving it some additional thought I decided I need to finish some deck work so I do not knock off the boat davits and sheer bars that get mounted with the aft channel.

I've been procrastinating on making the remaining carronade jack-screws (17) and rope coils. The jack-screws are simply a pain to make and I need to order more rope for the rope coils, but I need to finish these tasks before I paint myself into a corner. Below is a photo of a no. 90 brass hex head with a 0.017 drill bit. I drill the bolt head through in two locations 90 deg apart. Once the four holes are in place, I turn the bolt head to make it round, then add wire to simulate handles. The wire ends are dipped in CA glue to look like knobs on the end of the wire. I'll blacken the assy and then mount it on the carronade. 

post-277-0-31348000-1436570885_thumb.jpg

I use my drill press to drill the holes and chase the holes with my hand drill. Four down fourteen to go.

post-277-0-58129300-1436570853_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the center of the channel is slightly high. 

post-277-0-30660000-1436570865_thumb.jpg

Someone needs to stow that anchor before a big wave rolls it into someone and kills them. 

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

very nice progress Larry  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: