Niagara by lb0190 - Model Shipways - 1/64

Thanks Popeye! I now have all 18 jack-screws made, with five installed. The prototype I installed a few months ago was removed and reworked. After looking at it for a while, I did not like the four handles. The new handles are smaller diameter (0.014 vs 0.020) and slightly longer. I'll post some pictures soon.

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Here is a quick shot of the jack- screw on two carronade.

post-277-0-03047800-1436925399_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Nice job on those jack-screws Larry.  They didn't add those in the kit did they? You might be making the swing over to the "Dark-Side" ?   :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks George. Your right they were not part of the kit. I can hear the dark side calling... :) I'll add a few more non kit items.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Whole carronade assembly came out terrific.  Nice job, Larry.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Augie, now all I need to complete them is cannonballs. I'm thinking of using shot from a shotgun shell if I can find the right size.

Thank you everyone for the likes.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Probably down around #10 buckshot.  Great idea if you can find them and don't need to buy them by the pound!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

You can never have too many shotgun shells ... :)

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Hi Sjors, thanks for stopping by. Progress is slow but so long as it's moving in the fwd direction I'm happy! I'll post a few more pictures soon, to show what I'm working on now.

Edit: it never fails. As soon as I made a new post I see typos that need fixed...

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

• 4 weeks later...

I've been pecking away at the build as time permits. I'm jumping around a bit but it keeps my interest up and avoids the repetitive work that gets old for me pretty quick. I'll post whats been accomplished by each photo below. Note that many items are dry fit and once I'm confident of the location and no need to move for access, I'll glue them in place. Pins were used for the majority of parts to reinforce their attachment. Forgive me if I mess up the nomenclature of the various parts. It's still mostly a foreign language to me.

Next on the list is to make the main topgallent/royal mast.

Next week I'm off to Ohio again. My mother bought a new desktop and her needs help loading Windows 10 and moving all of her files over from the old desktop (which will no longer boot up - darn), so the shipyard will be closed for a few days. It will be good to spend a few days with mom and dad.

post-277-0-16668100-1439675237_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-67565200-1439675393_thumb.jpg

I made and installed the aft starboard channel, along with the quarter boat davits, deadeyes that need rotated/glued/darkened, as well as the chainplates. I'll attach the chainplates to the hull as soon as I can align them with the angle of the shrouds. The main mast wedges are ready for painting, but I still need to make and attach the spanker step (?) The shroud sheer bars will be installed once I'm sure work is done in that area so I do not knock them off. 

post-277-0-79042100-1439675395_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-59383300-1439675397_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-24918200-1439675400_thumb.jpg

The main mast, main topsail, main topmast/octagon swell/crosstrees and main top are made and dry fitted. I have some final sanding to do. I need to measure the swell to verify the diameter is not too large.

post-277-0-21786300-1439675402_thumb.jpg

The fore mast is simply the dowel used to make the mast, sitting loose.

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

She looks great with her deck furnishings in place Larry!  Bouncing around and working on different things like that has a two-fold reward to it. It keeps you from getting bored with it, and you get to see what she'll be looking like and a better over-all view, a lot faster.  It's good you'll be seeing your folks. See them whenever you can because you won't always be able to.  I wish I would have seen mine more when they were around, because it's been about 20 years since I lost them both. 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi George,

Thanks for looking in and for the compliments. I certainly agree with you on visiting family. Sometimes life just gets in the way and time seems to go by faster every day. I'm lucky to still have both of my parents, both are in their mid 80's.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

she's looking very nice Larry..... the masting looks especially good.   cleanly done  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye!   :)  :)  :)   I still have to trim off some excess material here and there, sand a bit more, paint/seal, plus glue it all together. The mast foot(???) is smaller than it should be, so it fits loose in the deck. Since the mount hold is blind, my plan is to find a method to hold the mast in position, partially fill the hole with epoxy, stick it in and let it set up - I only get one shot!  I suspect the final assembly sequence is very important in regard to rigging, so I need to plan it out in advance. 

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I've had a couple of kit like that........after wrestling with the first one......all of the others that have the problem got what I call a mast pot.   it's just a simple box for the mast root to sit in........it can be shallow,  built under the deck platform,  or it can be installed at the keel board.....deep well.   I didn't do this with the Half Moon......if you look back in the log,  I did a dry fit of the masts and have them set in place with jigs {nothing fancy either}.   perhaps that can help you.

some folks don't cement their masts in place.......but with a problem like that,  I'd imagine it would be very hard to get the right rake or maintain a perpendicular masting.   I'll look forward to see how you remedy it

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 5 weeks later...

Looking great Larry!   Love the colorful builds - need to find one myself someday.

The mast footing bit, while I didn't run into a footing (since the one I finished didn't have footings per say) I did have an over-sized hole for the mast and basically did what you mentioned.   Fill it a bit, insert mast - find proper rake and brace it in place until it set up.

Having a footing piece you may be able to just shim it a bit and avoid the permanency of epoxy unitl you get it just right then set it up once in position.

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Hi Adam,

Thanks for looking in, the compliments and for the suggestion. I shimmed the foot as much as I can and believe the epoxy fix will resolve the issue. The biggest challenge will be finding a way to hold the mast in position while the epoxy dries which takes at least 30 minutes.

The shipyard has been idle for a while but as soon as the weather cools off a bit I'll resume the build. This weekend we're off to Charleston SC to see the Hunley submarine and Patroits Point.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

• 1 month later...

Hi Larry, just getting caught up on your log. She's looking great. I really enjoyed going aboard her when I was in Erie this summer. Trying to figure out how I can build it if I'm traveling all the time....dilemma....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thanks John. Your pictures are a big help.

I'm on a bit of a hiatus right now. Maybe you can pre-select sections of work that's more conducive to travel, ie launches, deck furniture, etc.. I've thought about the same dilemma for our trips, "what can I take with me to work on during idle time?" My biggest hurtle is the risk of taking sharp items, glue, pointy needle files etc in luggage for aircraft or on cruise ships and then risk damage to what I'm working on. In the long run its probably best if I leave it all at home since most travel is a few weeks or less at a time. 

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

• 5 months later...

Hey, Larry. Y'all okay? I know you said you're on a hiatus, but not knowing what that means exactly, one gets concerned. Not that the bulk of us where spring chickens decades ago!

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I posted or worked on my Niagara. Health issues with myself, family responsibilities and family health issues just overwhelmed me to the point I had to back away from MSW and the shipyard for a while. I realized just recently we lost a good friend and I feel bad I cannot express my condolences in a timely manner. Like many of you, even though I never met Augie, I considered him to be a friend.

If possible, I hope to get back to the shipyard in a week or two but we will see. My Admirals brother just suffered a heart attack and she flew to Ohio this afternoon to see him in the hospital and get a better accessment of his health. It's too soon to know the severity.

Take care

Larry

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Augie's passing took a lot of us by surprise.   safe to say for all that we were fortunate to have had the pleasure of his company while he was here.  he will be missed.

"take care of those you call your own....and keep good company."

looking forward for your return............make sawdust,  not war!   ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Larry, sorry to hear you're under the weather. Hope to see you back soon. Thanks for letting us all know, we've all been there at least once I think. Take care, my friend,

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

My favourite Indian !

Take you time with the things that has to be done.

But show your words from time to time so we know that you are ok.

Sjors

• 1 month later...

Wondering how you're doing Larry! Update, please. Miss 'ya.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone! WOW a brand new site. I hope everyone is doing well. I have some updates for my Niagara but life has been too busy to post. The Admiral is recovering from knee replacement surgery and I'm currently in Ohio helping my parents with their health issues, add to that my own health problems along with planning a move and somehow trying to get a little ship building accomplished. I hope to get back home (Florida) next week but time will tell. I apologize for my lack of communication but I could not even find time to follow the amazing builds on here. I did start a word file on my update that I can hopefully finish and then simply cut and paste but we'll see how soon I can do that once I'm home (fourth trip to Ohio in less than a year and another one planned in April). Now all I need to do is figure out how to post updates with pictures....lol

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful