HMAS AUSTRALIA II by AKRYPTO - FINISHED - 1:72 - PLASTIC - Tribute build.

I have been building models all my life since a pup.   This is something different in scale and complexity.    It is a tribute build to my Loved Pa.   Mervyn H Cripps who was a QMG in X turrent on the "Aussie" 39-45.  I am my greatest critic when it comes to models and will appreciate any constructive critics along the way. 

The Ship will be in 1:72 scale and will be a functional RC model.   

273202713_10225798637140302_1641718779491522831_n.jpg

80-G-12107.tif

Looks like a really good subject for a build. I've always liked the look of HMAS Australia (II) and she has a distinguished service record. Are you going to paint her in dazzle patterns?

I hope you don't mind me adding this link which I believe is a good summary of her life and achievements - https://www.navy.gov.au/hmas-australia-ii

Steven

7 hours ago, AKRYPTO said:

The Ship will be in 1:72 scale and will be a functional RC model.

Have you made the hull from scratch? - looks very professional.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Avery nice start, the hull is crisp and nicely detailed for that scale.  Look forward to seeing more.

cheers

Pat 

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

15 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Looks like a really good subject for a build. I've always liked the look of HMAS Australia (II) and she has a distinguished service record. Are you going to paint her in dazzle patterns?

I hope you don't mind me adding this link which I believe is a good summary of her life and achievements - https://www.navy.gov.au/hmas-australia-ii

Steven

She will be painted in "Chicago blue" overall and period 1942 battle Coral sea task force. Yes the Naval historic society have been a great source of information.cheers

Very cool!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Looking good; are you going to fill the portholes with simulated glass?

cheers

Pat

4 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Looking good; are you going to fill the portholes with simulated glass?

cheers

Pat

G'day Pat  yes that is the intention,  I completed the Brow's over the top of the Porthole (scuttle) portside today and plan on using some brass tube cut to size with clear canopy glue to infill, unless you can think of another method ? There are so many of them my eyes are just back in focus now.  

Regards 

At that size, I think your plan should work.  I used a two-part 'liquid glass' product from Craftworks (sold in Spotlight) to do mine, but I have seen modellers also use PVA as it dries clear.   I have used acrylic rod inserted into thin wall brass tubing (cut a little thick then polished down to the required thickness) for my HMCSS Victoria build (

cheers

Pat

On 2/22/2022 at 12:08 PM, BANYAN said:

At that size, I think your plan should work.  I used a two-part 'liquid glass' product from Craftworks (sold in Spotlight) to do mine, but I have seen modellers also use PVA as it dries clear.   I have used acrylic rod inserted into thin wall brass tubing (cut a little thick then polished down to the required thickness) for my HMCSS Victoria build (

cheers

Pat

5mm Brass sleeve back fitted with eyelet.  2x done, 👍416449566_IMG_20220227_1343472.thumb.jpg.a73674a5c95a6892a4c6e02f030ac45d.jpgseveral hundred more to do. Giving the middle finger to Parkinson's disease one scuttle at a time. Cheers

8 hours ago, AKRYPTO said:

Giving the middle finger to Parkinson's disease one scuttle at a time

Thats the way, kick the backside out of it.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

On 2/17/2022 at 4:38 PM, AKRYPTO said:

Mervyn H Cripps who was a QMG in X turrent on the "Aussie" 39-45.  I am my greatest critic when it comes to models and will appreciate any constructive critics along

Hi, Akrypto

Does that make your father a marine, or is that not what happens in the RAN?

I’m enjoying your build and your style in relating it.  I shall be sitting in and consuming the Lamingtons

andrew

Andrew

"Pas d’elle yeux Rhone que nous”

Kits under the bench: Le Hussard (Started in the 1980s)

Scratch builds:               Volante, Brig (R/C): Footy Drakkar "Rodolm" (R/C).  Longship Osberg (R/C)

6 minutes ago, liteflight said:

Hi, Akrypto

Does that make your father a marine, or is that not what happens in the RAN?

I’m enjoying your build and your style in relating it.  I shall be sitting in and consuming the Lamingtons

andrew

Yes My Pa was a QMG my Father was A spark'a (radio operator) I was  spark'a and my brother was a Golly.  Intergenerational service. 

Nicely done; the hull plates look very crisp and clean

cheers

Pat

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, AKRYPTO said:

I am starting at the pointy end

Aah! I see you're master of nautical terminology - a man after my own heart - none of this woossy bow and stern stuff . . .:P

Steven

PS: Loving the model and the fact that you're 3rd generation navy.

Going to be beautiful. May I suggest you add "RADIO" to your title; that way all the RC enthusiasts will pull up chairs. 😀

Looked up Southern Cross Models. I see your 1/72 County class hull is 2.7 meters long !!!!!! :omg:

RC enthusiasts will definitely want to follow this!

Also, that deck and turret look very nice; are you 3D printing parts, or does Southern Cross models work up structure too?

Edited by Ian_Grant

48 minutes ago, Ian_Grant said:

Going to be beautiful. May I suggest you add "RADIO" to your title; that way all the RC enthusiasts will pull up chairs. 😀

Looked up Southern Cross Models. I see your 1/72 County class hull is 2.7 meters long !!!!!! :omg:

RC enthusiasts will definitely want to follow this!

Also, that deck and turret look very nice; are you 3D printing parts, or does Southern Cross models work up structure too?

Thankyou Ian for the kind words and advice regarding the Title.     This is my first True scratch build of this scale and I must admit the learning curve is very steep.  Its is a mix of 3d Print and scratch built using styrene sheet and other materials.  Progress has been a little slow recently but I hope to get things moving along when time and Health allows. 

Regards  Andy