HMAS AUSTRALIA II by AKRYPTO - FINISHED - 1:72 - PLASTIC - Tribute build.

6 hours ago, Bedford said:

I'm not sure when this took place but you might like to look into it.

Looks like sometime in 42 with the Roo added in the 50's.

2 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

its small cargo space could just fit in six cases of beer!

I suspect that was six cases for each of the five crew. I think I remember one picking up six downed aircrew once.

25 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

The Walrus they have is yellow

This site has some shots:

https://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/Supermarine_Walrus_HD-874_RAAF Museum_walkaround/content/index.html

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

• 2 months later...

No worries about the times between updates; they are most welcome.  She's coming along very nicely - looks great.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

3 hours ago, BANYAN said:

No worries about the times between updates; they are most welcome.  She's coming along very nicely - looks great.

cheers

Pat

Thanks Pat for the support and encouragement, I had to redo some of the Scuttles as I was not happy with how they settled on the Hull.  It all takes time to get the right result. 

Regards  Andy 

23 hours ago, AKRYPTO said:

Slowly getting there. Sorry about the slow process. Health and procrastinating being the main culprit. 

IMG_20221022_151153.jpg

I have since put things right, and swapped A B Turret around as the twin Oerlikon Tub should have been on B Mount just beneath the Bridge "Master at arms " take that man below decks and clap him in irons 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for any reference to the Mid-ships Cranes around the time late 42.  I have some pictures of the Gantry structure but not much on the Machine/Control box 

This crane was used for the Aircraft recovery and ships boats.  I have exhausted my search and my drawings and blueprints are good but early in service. 

A Bit of news about the future of this build the Aussie.  So last week have had a good chat with the president of the HMAS Australia veterans association, there is the real chance of the model going on permanent display at the shrine of remembrance in Victoria.   Watch this space fellow shipwrights. 

Great news, good to see models being displayed at such important venues.  The Bridge mini-diorama looks great.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The "Aussie" nearly completed just some more deck detail and touch up work.  She will be on permanent display at the seaworks maritime precinct museum in Williamstown Victoria from about mid March. Thanks 🙏 to all that were providing information during The build process. This forum/medium is a wealth of knowledge and sage advice.  Regards Andy 

IMG_20230217_170352.jpg

IMG_20230217_170431.jpg

Beautiful work, and a historic and noble vessel.

Good to hear she will be on display in a place worthy of her. Is this to be a permanent exhibition or only short-term? I'm going to have to make sure to get down there and see her.

Steven

1 hour ago, Louie da fly said:

Beautiful work, and a historic and noble vessel.

Good to hear she will be on display in a place worthy of her. Is this to be a permanent exhibition or only short-term? I'm going to have to make sure to get down there and see her.

Steven

Thanks for the kind words.  Yes she will be living at Seaworks for the time being on permanent display with the Original Ensign above her and some other bits and pieces.  The plan was to be the Navy museum at HMAS Cerberus,  however there was no solid guarantee that the Museum will not close in the near future due mainly to lack of funding.   

Regards   Andy 

Andy, hi.

I'm delighted you weren't too offended by my request for some decent photo's of your 'Australia'.

The 3 stack 'Counties' were some of my favourite ships from that period and finally we can see the results of your excellent work; a model to be proud of.

''Good on ya, mate''.

So met with Bill Harris of Temora Gunnery rate HMAS Australia 39-45  Yankee turret  then a couple of days later met up with Bruce crowl of lakes entrance both 98 years old and sharply dressed strong and healthy telling war stories like it was yesterday, you could Smell the cordite in their stories, both very proud Veterans 

IMG_20230304_045603.jpg

received_1252606778991247.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me