USS Independence 1814 by Glen McGuire – FINISHED - Bottle – 1/500

Thanks, Mark.  I get A & C now. 

41 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

B would be hammock stanchions with netting to hold the hammocks in place. 

Are you talking about something like this below?  I found this picture from a post by _SalD_ under a topic called "Hammock Netting Question".  Supposed to be from the current Constitution.  

Screenshot 2022-03-26 203010.jpg

That would be it, Glen.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the guidance, Mark.  I went scrounging around the garage and found a finely woven mesh bag.  And since nothing is else matters when you need just the right thing for a model, I cut off a small piece of the bag and gave it a light dusting of black spray paint.  I think it will work perfectly.

82.jpg

That hull with all the gunports looks really good!  Very nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

52 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

That hull with all the gunports looks really good!  Very nice job!

Thanks, Mike.  I tried to get them all the same size and as square as possible.  Not perfect, but not too bad.  The layers are still just dry-fitted so I can disassemble and paint the alternating black and white scheme.  I'm still not sure what I'm doing with the prow.   

Glen. the hull is shaping up nicely. What type wood are you using for the hull? 

Edited by Keith Black

2 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

Agree completely!

Thank you, Ian.

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

Glen. the hull is shaping up nicely. What type type wood are using for the hull? 

Thanks, Keith.  The hull and bulwarks are basswood pieces.  Each piece is 1mm thick except for the bottom layer which is 2mm.  That will give me some wiggle room if the ship needs to go on a diet to fit inside the bottle later.  That's been a problem for me on previous builds.  So I am determined to do a better job of planning during the construction phase. 

I got the hull layers painted so it's time to add cannons to the upper and lower gun decks and then squeeze the hull layers together.  The pics show the construction process:

1.  Five hull layers ready for assembly

2.  Cannons painted (.015" music wire)

3.  Cannons cut down to size

4.  Cannons in place

5.  Hull layers glued and clamped

Those cannons are hard to see in that last pic, but you gotta trust me that they are in there!

84.jpg

86.jpg

Screenshot 2022-04-02 071221.jpg

90.jpg

92.jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

What a little gem, Glen. Of all your SIBs I like this one best and it's not even finished.  

Thank you, Joe, Keith, Grant, Ian, Mark, SH Johnny, Banyan, Roger, and John Fox III for the comments and likes.  I gotta be honest, when I picked this ship, I was really sweating how in the world I'd be able to do those gun decks and all those cannons and make them look halfway decent.  It came out better than I expected.  So far anyway.

But the sweating ain't over just yet.  I've started work on the spar deck cannons with these tiny little carriages.  Oh boy.  TBD on how those will turn out. 

I've also got to figure out how to add a quarter gallery on the stern.  I've never done a ship with one of those so I've got to go study some build logs.  If y'all know any build logs off the top of your head that have good posts on a quarter gallery construction please let me know.

7 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Of all your SIBs I like this one best and it's not even finished.  

Even without smoke or penguins or polar bears?  You just made my day, Keith!!  

Edited by Glen McGuire

Scratch area has tons of ships with quarter galleries but I don't recall any SIB's.  You might do a search  with just the key word "Bottle" and then drill down from there.   

Probably the easiest way would be just to carve it to shape and paint. I suspect any stern "artwork" would have be a just a "suggestion" of what's there.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

Even without smoke or penguins or polar bears? 

What? No smoke? I feel used! 🤣🤣🤣

On 4/5/2022 at 6:22 PM, Joe100 said:

I’m interested in trying that myself!

Let me know if you do, Joe.  I'd love to see how yours would turn out.

For the spar deck cannons, I tried a few things that didn't work too well and ended up in the scrap heap.  I finally settled on a 2-layer carriage to give it a little bit of that stairstep look.  

96.jpg

98.jpg

100.jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

Speaking of fails, I had this brilliant idea for the quarter galleries of blobbing some wood filler in place and sanding it to shape (1st pic).  Horrible idea.  Didn't work at all.  Not sure what the heck I was thinking.  So I chipped it all off and carved out little pieces of walnut scrap for the galleries.

The 2nd pic shows the finished work on the prow, the hammock netting, and the better version of the quarter gallery.  I've got some white fly-tying thread on order to try for the gallery windows.  We'll see how well that works.

The netting is a little sloppy on the far side.  I may pull it off and redo it.  However, it's the non-display side and also will be hidden somewhat by the ship boats when they are added so I may just live with it.  I'll revisit it later and decide what to do

102.jpg

104.jpg

Coming along great Glen - this is going to be fantastic!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Wow, Glen, I love the way she's looking. The walnut galleries look great, much better than the first attempt. Great idea for the carriages. 

For future reference you might try working off ship using polymer clay for making galleries and such. 

48 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

this is going to be fantastic!

Thank you, Mike.  I appreciate your optimism!

25 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

For future reference you might try working off ship using polymer clay for making galleries and such. 

That sounds like a great idea!  Thanks, Keith.  

Glen, 

Coming along nicely.

I hope that you will not mind a friendly suggestion.  I would remove the. Hammock netting’s; they are way over scale.  I would substitute a strip of wood with a rounded top; like a loaf of bread.  Painted off white it would simulate stowed, rolled hammocks.

Roger

21 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

I would substitute a strip of wood with a rounded top; like a loaf of bread.  Painted off white it would simulate stowed, rolled hammocks.

Hey Roger, thanks for the suggestion.  Are you talking about simulating something like this?

Screenshot 2022-04-08 171829.jpg

I think Roger is suggesting more like this... The canvas covers the tops of the hammocks.  On some ships, it' starts at deck level and then over the top and down the side.   

medium_61e97784cbdfc304aa06a6c464606b29.webp.0d3cf224f4856281d0023d6c9d19fa76.webp

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Glenn, I agree with Roger, sometimes less is more. But I was looking for micro mesh and found the below. This is some pretty small stuff or so it appears plus the color works. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-304-Stainless-Steel-Filter-Coarse-Dense-Gauze-Woven-Mesh-13-x-40-/393850633101

Edited by Keith Black

Thanks, Mark, Roger and Keith for the comments and suggestions.  I just ordered some of that micro mesh.  I really like the idea of having some kind of netting look.  Unfortunately, the micro mesh won't get here till June.  I'm too impatient to wait that long to finish this build, but it will be a nice addition to my box of stuff for future work.  So I'm going to play around with some things based on the collective input and see if I can come up with something I like that has a good look.  I appreciate the creative help from y'all!!