USS Independence 1814 by Glen McGuire – FINISHED - Bottle – 1/500

And my rendition of the 1814 Independence is complete!  I wish I was better at photography and knew how to take better pictures thru glass like this, but these shots will have to do.

Huge, massive thanks to @Keith Black, @mtaylor, @Landlubber Mike@BANYAN, @gjdale, @GrandpaPhil, @Ian_Grant, @John Fox III, @ccoyle, @Joe100, @Snug Harbor Johnny, @Roger Pellett, @CiscoH, @michael mott, @SUBaron, @AJohnson, @bdgiantman2, @Prowler901 for following the whole build or peeking in along the way.  Your encouragement, ideas, and suggestions made the final result so much better than I could have have possibly done on my own.      

182.jpg

184.jpg

186.jpg

188.jpg

190.jpg

192.jpg

Beautifully done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Magnificent. A work of art for which you should be extremely proud, Glen. 

Just another WOW moment, Glen.  I think your finished photos ought to into the gallery.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Verrrrry nice Glen; what a wonderful way to present your miniature.  I have very much enjoyed the ride.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic 

Congratulations Glen on another excellent build. I love your choice of display stand as much as the ship/bottle.

Of course, the obvious question is, “what’s next?”

3 hours ago, gjdale said:

Of course, the obvious question is, “what’s next?”

Thank you, Grant!  My son has asked me to do a Chinese junk ship.  So I'll start toying around with that idea shortly.  All those horizontal battens in the sails should make for a new and interesting challenge. 

That's really incredible work all around Glen.  Very nice job!  What a spectacular SIB and creative display!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

3 hours ago, John Fox III said:

Greetings Glen,

Thanks, John.  I may get bold and try your hidden hinge technique for the masts on my next effort.  I love the way you did that for your Endurance in a light bulb project.

• 7 months later...

Very original. Very Nice!

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Glenn, 

late to the party as ever, but do you recall any heating of the epoxy inside the bottle? Did it turn the bottle (at least at the bottom) warm? 

I'm trying to make a styrene ship in a bottle with epoxy (thanks for showing that process in this build log!), but I'm somewhat worried that the epoxy might melt the vessel or at least its legs while curing.

And yes I'm going to try to pour the resin with the ship already inside and I'll make a first trial to see how I'll avoid messing up the ship in the process. 

1 hour ago, Javelin said:

but do you recall any heating of the epoxy inside the bottle? Did it turn the bottle (at least at the bottom) warm? 

Hey Javelin, unfortunately I don't know if it heats the bottle up or not.  After I pour the resin in, I do not touch anything for fear that I'll slosh resin up the sides of the bottle where I don't want it.

I like your idea of doing a test run on the process.  Let me know what your results are.

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, NoelSmith said:

I really like your innovative method of displaying it as the barrel of a ship's cannon. Not seen a SIB displayed like that before. A real conversation piece.

Thank you very much, Noel!!!

Must of missed this build. What a clever way to do a ship in a bottle! If you have a barrel you could make it a dual display.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

On 12/17/2023 at 11:37 AM, dvm27 said:

If you have a barrel you could make it a dual display.

Hey Greg, I'm not sure what you have in mind here.  Can you elaborate on your suggestion?

You obviously have mad modelling skills. If you were to turn a cannon barrel to fit the carriage you could alternate between the ship-in-bottle and and scale mini diorama.

IMG_4392.thumb.JPEG.9484b7fa1b85da63ca4bc7fff2aa5466.JPEG

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752