A question arose when I linked to the google search to let the visitor to my thread see images on the google search page. I linked to the google search because I do not have any of my own pictures of the subject matter.

Does linking to google search infringe on copyright?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

NO

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

lol wish i understood the question

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

11 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I believe the question is: instead of directly posting a copyrighted image (say of HMS Victory), could one instead link to the Google search page containing that image, eg: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=hms+victory

You could then play around with the URL parameters so that the Google search returns a specific set of images. Although, why not just link to the externally hosted image itself, which also does not infringe on copyright?

-starlight

18 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Basically the question is "Is is a link to something a copyright infringement?"   Answer... "no".   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Using my best Sheldon Cooper voice:  "Fun Fact."

The copyright laws had to be changed when the internet came to the forefront. 

In 1992-93, it was argued to be a violation of the copyright laws to download information from a web page via a browser along with associated cached files, images and such.  The court ruled that such computer code did not violate copyright laws.   This lead to changes in the copyright laws specifically stating such action was not an infringement to use a browser which in essence loads copyright material. 

That's wonderful.  Because, otherwise, I'd have to find something else to do with the time I now commit to surfing the web. 

It is the subsequent use of such downloaded material that starts getting murky.  Which would lead to long discussions and research on Fair Use Doctrine.  So, I will stop here. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Asking a question about copyright in all honesty, And this answer from the person noted as the MSW social Media Moderator is a bit disappointing to say the least. I thought my question was quite clear. One is told not to post images that one does not have permission to post, so forgive this old man for not being as savvy about the internet protocols, and for wanting to do the right thing.

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

1 hour ago, robert952 said:

Using my best Sheldon Cooper voice:  "Fun Fact."

The copyright laws had to be changed when the internet came to the forefront. 

In 1992-93, it was argued to be a violation of the copyright laws to download information from a web page via a browser along with associated cached files, images and such.  The court ruled that such computer code did not violate copyright laws.   This lead to changes in the copyright laws specifically stating such action was not an infringement to use a browser which in essence loads copyright material. 

That's wonderful.  Because, otherwise, I'd have to find something else to do with the time I now commit to surfing the web. 

It is the subsequent use of such downloaded material that starts getting murky.  Which would lead to long discussions and research on Fair Use Doctrine.  So, I will stop here. 

Thank you for your clarification, I understand it a little better now, So I could link to a picture on the web by using the link to the particular image that I wanted to use to clarify a question.

Michael

12 minutes ago, michael mott said:

So I could link to a picture on the web by using the link to the particular image that I wanted to use to clarify a question.

Absolutely.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

There was recently...  several months ago, discussios here of "fair use" on copyrighted material.   Below is just one link.  A search using "fair use" in quotes will bring up others.   Some in more detail, some in less.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you for the link to this intriguing story Mark.  I can see how tricky the whole issue of copyright is.

Michael

Edited by michael mott
spelling error

9 hours ago, michael mott said:

Asking a question about copyright in all honesty, And this answer from the person noted as the MSW social Media Moderator is a bit disappointing to say the least. I thought my question was quite clear. One is told not to post images that one does not have permission to post, so forgive this old man for not being as savvy about the internet protocols, and for wanting to do the right thing.

Michael 

it was a bit tongue in cheek, considering, most of us do it all the time, but if yr disappointed with what i said, so be it

Sorry

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi. It was me that made the comment which created this welcome debate.

I didn't use it to try and condemn Michael.

But it was a genuine prompt to raise the question.

It's a topic that I've felt slightly uncomfortable with for some time.

These responses  stir the mud a little and I thank others for their responses.

2 hours ago, shipman said:

Hi. It was me that made the comment which created this welcome debate.

I didn't use it to try and condemn Michael.

But it was a genuine prompt to raise the question.

It's a topic that I've felt slightly uncomfortable with for some time.

These responses  stir the mud a little and I thank others for their responses.

and I should have kept my moth shut, as I never contributed anything useful to the question

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

7 hours ago, Kevin said:

it was a bit tongue in cheek, considering, most of us do it all the time, but if yr disappointed with what i said, so be it

Sorry

Thank you Kevin for your clarification I appreciate it.

Michael