Lightning Sailboat by Woody S - from Dumas plans

I have been inspired by Andrew J's Lightning experience building first a Kit and then from scratch.

My children learned to sail in the 1960's on Lightning #5138. I would like  to create a model of that sailboat.  I have built scratch models of 1850's schooners before. But on this project I decided to take some shortcuts and start with the Dumas plans. The fun will be in the changes in rigging and paint to match the 1960's boat. The parts of the boat that won't be visible will not get much attention. Sorry purists.

Anyway here is a photo of the real boat. And a photo of progress to date. The only changes so far have been to add some interior ribs. The floorboards and seats will be the focus of the interior.

I would love to hear from anyone who can help me find the scale hardware. Also tips on the rigging aand finishes would be most appeciated.

Thanks, Woody

Firefly edit.jpg

Lightning framing.jpg

Thanks Roger.

Yes this was a Skaneateles built boat. We sailed it on Sacondaga Reservoir near Schenectady , NY

I just found a nice looking model of #392 on the Gallery here. It looks like he raised the seat level as did I. He also made a nice mast step. I wish I knew where he got the hardware.

I have been looking at pictures of old Lightnings near # 5138  to try and remember what my cockpit looked like. This morning I mocked up some seats and floorboards. The kit had solid wood for the seats and floorboards,  which was not my Skaneatlas design. Also I see that I am going to have to cut away more of the ribs under the deck .  I am planning to stain the centerboard trunk mahogany because that is what it was. The ribs were spruce and I am thinking of spruce floorboards as well. Too much dark mahogany for me. My color scheme will be a white deckand bottom and royal blue topsides.

mock up.jpg

Wow, my father and l built Lighting 7759 in 1966 in our basement. We both shared a great love of sailing

and ship model building. At 91 my father remembered he still had the blue prints of the Lighting and asked me 

to built him a model  of our boat. I hope you have a much fun building your Lighting as l did because it brought

back such great memories. Cheers, Peter Rumgay

Peter,

That is interesting. The Lightning was designed by Sparkman & Stevens with home building in mind. But my hat is off to you for doing it.

Do you have a picture of the model or the boat ?

The Lightning class superceded the Star class here in Noroton Bay, CT in the 1940's and I learned to sail as a crew.

Best, Woody

Woody

l haven't worked out how to send pictures to MSW yet. I can send you pictures of my model if you

sent me an e-mail drumgay@cogeco.ca. My turnbuckles came from a. J. Fisher models with some

modification.Blocks came Cornwall model fittings (England) the corell line of ship model kits. The

stainless wire rigging  and halyards which make the model look so good came from Cornwall models

as well. Mast & Boom track is made thin brass rod. I too purchase the Dumas kit but only used it as

guide to build my lighting as the rib sizes were wrong. The block sizes on mine are out , make sure you

scale them properly . You model is really coming along and going to look great. 

Peter.

Peter,

Wow ! That is so helpful. I can't wait to rsearch those  fittings and rigging. I was wondering about the mast track. I was thinking my mast was slotted for the  bolt rope of the sail. (easier to do🙂) but I am probably wrong.

PLease do email  pictures of your model.   Email  woodyspurgeon@gmail.com.    I just emailed you and hope it goes through.  I am looking forward to seeing  the details of your boat.

Woody

Woody.

Did receive you e-mail and sent pictures that l Hope help. Lightings of that era had mast 

tracks and slides very hard to reproduce at that scale and beyond my skills, that's why l 

went thin brass rod with very tiny rings to hold sail. 

Cheers Peter

deck.thumb.jpg.25355f6a8f5061064c8525f1b26611d3.jpgPeter,

I received your email, but unfortunately no pictures were attached. Maybe it is because I have a PC and you have Apple, but probably it is something else. I don't understand why you can't attach your picture files to your messages here. On the bottom it says " choose files".

Anyway I am in the process of gluing on the deck tonight.  (picture)

Your model will be authentic inasmuch as you took the time to build the real frames, and planked it. Mine will not, but I hope that the casual observer will not be able to see the lack of interior detail. If I had had your plans i might have done it. I spent a lot of time trying to turn the Dumas Bass wood centerboard trunk into mahoghany, whereas you probaly made yours out of real mahogany from the start. Anyway I will make a mahoghany rudder.

I am thinking that I will paint the deck before putting on the cockpit coaming and splash boards.

Best, Woody

Today I worked on the floorboard . Next I will have to make the forward and aft seats  and figure out how they were supported. The picture on the left is of a Lightning sailboat of a similar vintage. I can see some more modifications for me to copy that. I wish I could figure out how to rotate these pictures.

seating.thumb.jpg.dae71602259e878c6a7238d42e019ef0.jpg

Gosh , I wish that I had known before I started all  the things that I have learned since. The Dumas Kit provides plans and some wood which is good  for a  pond sailboat. But to make it into a replica470277044_fireflyprogress.thumb.jpg.7926cd7426ef9f2ea2cf2d0c8a5d0c30.jpg of a boat built in the 60's takes some doing.

For one I would make the frames out of bass wood instead of the oversize balsa provided. I cut out a lot of the balsa frames but would have liked to do more. The cockpit trim called for on the plans is not correct and is going to take a lot of work to make and fit although I was able to utiilze  the mahogany from the kit. 

I decided to cut the centerboard slot in the bottom plank before gluing it on. From here on I will have to use research to go forward with cockpit trim , mast step, chainplates, and rigging. This will take happy time.

Beautiful job on this boat.  I have a kit built version put together after I bought my full scale lighting, a Skaneateles built boat #7592.  I sold it 10 years ago, it underwent full restoration and still races competitively on the East Coast and at the Mid-Winters in Tampa every year.

Dion

current dry dock USS Arizona

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Dion and Andrew for your kind remarks.

Especially, coming from Andrew who built his beautiful Lightning hull from scratch . I use the picture of his model for reference. I also got a lot of good info from Peter Rumgays lovely boat.

I am now into the hard part of working without any plans I have scoured the internet  trying to find out exactly where the Centerboard spool and reel are located. And how are the jack stays attached to the jumper struts ? I have ordered rigging fittings, stainless steel, working turnbuckles and even a boom vang.  It looks like I will have to make brass tangs and chainplates. But it is all good fun. I scrapped the Dumas rudder and centerboard. I am going to make my tiller  the same as it was on #5138, split and reinforced with brass. I am going to put the rub rails on last

Cheers, Woody

spars.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have finally finished painting the hull. It took many trys before I got the mirror finish on the topsides. I finally used auto body primer and paint. (many coats).

Putting the rub rails on last was a mistake because the glue got everywhere and I had to sand down and redo.

Now I have the fun of installing the centerboard and its mechanism. Then the mast and rigging.

If anyone knows where I can find realistic jib sheets and main sheet lines ( eg ;braided dacron ) Please let me know.

Thanks , Woody

hull painted.jpg

Roger, Thank you very much for your comment. At this point I need a lot of encouragement.

Andrew, where is your finished model ? I have printed the pictures of the amazing hull that you made from the original plans. Have you gone further?

Thank you for your comments. I turned the drum and spool  from cherry wood and then drilled the lightening holes. There is not a lot of room under the deck for the mechanism. I think the pintles and gudgeons on the rudder came from modlers central in Australia.

Best, Woody

She is a beauty!   Are there are areas where the deck is "rough" to provide non skid surface?   Had this situation on an Islander 36 model many years ago and could not figure a way to do this to scale for a while.  Finally came up with  using powdered glass in the fiberglass molds where these areas were to be.  The positives that came out of the mold were a perfect replication.  I am sure a similar treatment could work on the positive versus the mold if you need to have such an area.  

Again, your workmanship is great!

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Unfortunately it's been quite some time since I made any progress. I really have to be in the right head space to work on it, and I don't want to work on it just because I feel like I have to. Seeing your progress is a great inspiration though, so my motivation might be coming back soon. We shall see! I don't have access to a lathe or any kind of fancy tools like that, so if there's any chance you might be up to creating another one of those centerboard drums for me, I would be happy to pay you for your time and skill. Please feel free to private message me if that's something you would be willing to do.

Allanyed,

Thank you for telling me about your method of achieving a realistic non-skid deck on your model.

Peter Rumgay used cotton cloth and paint on his beautiful model Lightning and it looks great . It is in keeping with the way Lightnings of that era were actually done.

I have been thinking about mixing some fine salt with paint. In the end I will probably just wet sand the deck and move on.

Andrew J,

I think that I know what you mean about inspiration and competing interests. I am packing now to spend the Summer in Hood River, OR where I will see family and hopefully do some kiteboarding.

I am happy to turn you a drum/spool when I get back in September. The hard part was getting the specifications. The turning takes about an hour. I owe you big time for all the info I got from your blog. I will just have to get your address which I can do when I get back.

Best Wishes, Woody

On 6/11/2022 at 10:47 PM, Woody S said:

It took many trys before I got the mirror finish on the topsides.

It certainly worked, looks beautiful.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 3 months later...

The model of "Firefly" Lightning #5138 is in the final stages. I have been working hard on her since returning from Hood River, OR.

I still need to add the tiller extension and do a better job of coiling the lines, improving the boom vang, and then making a stand .

I thank all of you for your help along the way. I wish I had used the scale ribs as did Andrew instead of the Dumas kit plans. And the mahogany from the kit was not a good choice. Peter's model looks much better in cherry

I had a devil of a time figuring out the rigging. And I had to make many parts several times, because they kept breaking or getting lost on the floor. I could not find scale cleats and had to carve them out of wood. My craftsmanship did not do justice to the many small parts. But it was an enjoyable puzzle, and for me the boat looks very much like Firefly #5138.

Best wishes, Woody

rudderless.jpg

detail jib.jpg

with pic.jpg

I feel like I should find a new adjective, but "absolutely stunning" is always the first thing that pops into my head when I see what you've created here. Looking forward to seeing what you do for a stand. I'm thinking of trying something with plexiglass or lexan, kind of like the display stand I got for my Lego Millennium Falcon, so it looks like it's just floating there. 

I really appreciate the compliment from Andrew. I have not shown the model boat to my friends here, and it is nice to get feed back. I must say that I could do a better job on the next one. Building without plans is difficult.

I just ordered a display case from BlueJacket. I condidered plexiglass. It is less expensive and more contemporary. Contemporary models look very good under plexiglass. But in the end I chose cherry wood to match the other models that I have made. The measurements include the centerbosrd halfway down

The stand and cradle will be as simple as possible. I am working on the design. (Andrew , I have not forgotten your drum and spindle)

Oh, I did not try and make the deck non skid. Too many possible problems.

Woody

full side.jpg