Vinod:

It looks like you have drawn a blank from the rest of us!  Have you inquired to local modelers or clubs?  There may be tree species indigenous to India with wood excellent for modeling that are unknown to anyone outside of your country.  It's possible the Asian variety of box wood may range into NE India.

I've done a little digging and found a US supplier "The Lumberyard", that sells West India Boxwood: Gossypiospermum praecox or Casearia praecox.  Not of the specie Buxus, but like many other woods, it has characteristics of box that make it desirable for modeling. It may be available to you locally.

Edited by Charles Green
Additional information.

Vinod,

You may have to do the same as many of us here....order from companies on line.   We do have a number of sponsors (listed on the main page) who supply wood.  They would also be able to tell you if they can ship to India.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just as an FYI I believe West India boxwood is from West Indies, not India so there is the same issue in shipping or worse as the Lumberyard gets it from their source then would have to transship to India.  If possible it is better if Vinod finds a local wood supplier rather than one from the US.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Vinod,

If you are just dipping your toe into all of this, then paying for expensive imports may be the way your have to go.

If this is a long term prospect.  If you are considering scratch POF and working at the higher range of scale =>1:72, then becoming self sufficient may be the more economically practical option.

The initial investment in tools is a bit daunting,  but the savings over time will fairly quickly get you into the black.

If you do this, then perhaps YOU could become the supplier in India.

Tools:

A quality and powerful 14" band saw - with bimetal or carbide blades - the all steel dull and break too quickly and the low cost ones have too much set and really chew up the face of the cut.

A thickness sander - you can make your own from a 1/3-1/2 HP motor, but a Byrnes is the gold  standard.

Something with an edger function if you sell to others.

And for turning resawn and sanded stock into strips and miniature timber

A Byrnes table saw.   unfortunately for those outside the US, there is really no real substitute.

As for wood -  I am highly biased toward using species that are domestic for you. 

In light of this, in your place, I would seriously  investigate the following species:

Ailanthus altissima - Ailanthus, tree of heaven, Chinese sumac   if it is as open pore as is suggested - its use would be where it is hidden, or sealed and painted.

Alstonia scholaris  - Indian pulai, white cheesewood, milky pine, blackboard tree

Aglaia cucullata  - Pacific maple, aglaia, bekak, amoora, tasua

Acer pseudoplatanus  -  Sycamore maple, European sycamore

and maybe the star that we wish we could get:

Chloroxylon swietenia  -  East Indian Satinwood, Ceylon Satinwood

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I would like to add to Jagger’s excellent post.  Many years ago, I was on a business trip to Taiwan and decided that I wanted to bring home some Teak Wood.  Teak is not a good ship modeling wood, but it makes nice ship model display cases.  After some persuasion my business contact took me to a small woodworking shop who sold me a nice piece of teak and cut it into two pieces so I could check it with my luggage for the flight home. I still have some in my stash.

I would visit small woodworking shops where you live.  These will almost always be out of the way sort of operations.  They should be equipped with a power saw to break down lumber.  The guy in the shop in Taiwan had a bandsaw.  A decent sized table saw will work too but it will produce more waste.  I would first see what sort of woods that they have.  There are probably excellent woods in India that we are unfamiliar with.  You are looking for close grained woods without a pronounced grain structure.  Your shop should be able to saw the wood into billets or slabs.  If you can get to this point perhaps you can work with your shop to produce more finished sheets.  Otherwise you will need to invest in the miniature saw and sanding equipment that Jagger mentions.

Roger