F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

Very short update...

I'm on a bit of hiatus at the moment, RL is jumping on me in a different way, Granddaughter is probably going to be moving in with us over the winter, we can't see her living in her car over the winter.... So, I'm forced to rearrange some things to clear out the bedroom, (my overflow storage area) In the mean time, my 1/32nd PE Marston Matting arrived today..... Just to give you an idea of how much it takes to do a 15" x 15" base in it here is a photo...

IMG_0384.thumb.JPG.defe673f48bb41fbacc1d1a847099bca.JPG

22 packages.... And yes it is accurate Marston Matting (aka M-8 pierced steel planking) it lays exactly the way the real stuff does.... So I'm going to be figuring out how to lay a dirt base for the marston matting to lay over...

My old railroading skills need dusting off....

But after I get the room rearranged....

Thanks everyone for having the patience to deal with my RL issues... 

Onwards...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

seems modelers start as photographers first

Actually I didn't! I started out building model HO scale train car kits with my Dad when I was 10 or 11, got my first 35mm Kodak camera in 8th grade. After that it was both modeling and photography.   

4 hours ago, Egilman said:

figuring out how to lay a dirt base for the marston matting to lay over...

My old railroading skills need dusting off....

It's simple ! Get a 15x15 piece of 1/2 inch plywood, coat it with Gesso, before that dries sift some backyard dirt over the whole surface. Let dry! (Use the finest mesh kitchen shifter/strainer you can find. Lay the Gesso on rather thick). Then lay the matt on to that base.  

Edited by Jack12477

4 hours ago, Egilman said:

So, I'm forced to rearrange some things to clear out the bedroom,

My sympathies are with you. It took me almost a month to empty out and furnish our third floor to make it into a studio apt for our Ukrainian house guest and her son to live. Made my older grandson jealous when we were done! But we had offered it to him years ago and he chose the guest bedroom closer to the kitchen instead. Too late now!:)

Thanks for the measurement of the base. Now I know how much space to clear to make room in my house!:ph34r:  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

23 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Actually I didn't! I started out building model HO scale train car kits with my Dad when I was 10 or 11, got my first 35mm Kodak camera in 8th grade. After that it was both modeling and photography.   

You still have a 5 decade jump on me brother... {chuckle}

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

22 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

It's simple ! Get a 15x15 piece of 1/2 inch plywood, coat it with Gesso, before that dries sift some backyard dirt over the whole surface. Let dry! (Use the finest mesh kitchen shifter/strainer you can find. Lay the Gesso on rather thick). Then lay the matt on to that base.  

I'm familiar with ground flocking, it's just been so long since I've done any that my skills are probably a bit rusty...

Thanks my friend...

Quote:

19 hours ago, lmagna said:

My sympathies are with you. It took me almost a month to empty out and furnish our third floor to make it into a studio apt for our Ukrainian house guest and her son to live. Made my older grandson jealous when we were done! But we had offered it to him years ago and he chose the guest bedroom closer to the kitchen instead. Too late now!:)

Thanks for the measurement of the base. Now I know how much space to clear to make room in my house!:ph34r:  

Just can't leave her out in the cold.... She's at that point where her school friends have just about disappeared and she's adjusting to the realities of living life on her own... her foster parents/schools didn't teach her much of that... But she is teachable, at least when she isn't glued to the electronics...

Just leave enough room for it to land my friend, parking it won't be the problem... {chuckle} she isn't much bigger than a P-51 or P-47 and smaller than a P-38...

Quote:

23 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

My start was similar, Jack.  Except it was airplanes.  My mom did a couple of ships too when I was young. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

her foster parents/schools didn't teach her much of that

There are a few useful things the older generation can still do in our old age other possible infirmities, and advice on how to survive society is high on the list. Sometimes "Been there, done that and came out the other side" is a powerful persuader. I think she will be in good hands.  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Wonderful progress on this bird EG, and as always, an educational thread with interesting topics.  Looking good!

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

On 10/27/2022 at 2:39 PM, Egilman said:

You still have a 5 decade jump on me brother... {chuckle}

Yea! My kids keep asking me if George Washington was President the year I was born !  😉😉😉

Hey EG, looking forward to seeing how you work out that Marston matting.  I saw the various PE sets out there and thought it would be cool to do a diorama using it - nothing like learning from the master so I'll wait to see what you do :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 weeks later...

If I hit the PowerBall, maybe. Just keeping it in fuel and oil is costly. Have to be Elon Musk to keep that going.  😊

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

There is an F-14 in private hands that flies out of Tillamook Oregon, but it mostly sits on the ground, in the Blimp hanger in the museum..... The fuel costs are astronomical....

One other thing to note, all of these aircraft in private hands have been de-milled, no weapons, and are incapable of mounting weapons.... A requirement for civilian ownership...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

That's true of any aircraft you see in public areas. Even the F-4 we have next to our squadron back at McGuire has been stripped. Engines were removed and a sheet metal plug and a ring of sheet metal tail feathers applied. Have to keep it looking good, so they take it to the paint barn and redo the paint job every once in a while..

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild