The walk of shame

mtdoramike

I had planned on slowing down a bit on model building and planned for the Billings Calypso to be my last for awhile. But as luick would have it I picked up a little orphan kit of a Trumpeter 1/200 scale USS Missouri or Big Mo as she was called back in the day. I have had an itch to build a trumpeter kit for quite some time and this was my opportunity. The kit had been sitting around for a bit being neglected so I figured what the hell. I thought I had gotten the monkey off my back, but I guess not. So now I have to do that walk of shame.,

Call it a walk of opportunity, not shame.  Sometimes we just luck out and get to do something we really wanted to do.  Looking forward to your build log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It's an addiction that has no cure. Even if you stop building them they just keep showing up anyway.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The walk of shame for me is when the postman drops the package at the front door. Once I get passed that, then I start looking toward the opportunities awaiting me. I've also believed the old adage "it's easier to beg forgiveness than it is to ask for permission" I practice this a lot. 

Edited by mtdoramike

With the finished model being 50" inches, shipping would be an issue and quite expensive so I may end up donating to a local VFW or similar. They can always raffle it off or what ever they could do with it. I've donated a Victory model to my local city Library and donated a Montanes tall ship model to our local hospital that held a silent auction and used the proceeds for some new equipment. But, we'll see.   

The Big Mo arrived today in perfect condition. The previous owner included some extras with it like some scale sized men and other stuff I haven't had a chance to check out yet. But I put it away for quite a while since I won't start on it until after the Calypso is finished. 

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Huge box that Missouri model comes in. Impressive kit to be sure.

Yeah, it ain't one of those you can stick under your arm and casually walk into the house with giving your spouse a head tip like saying "what's up?" hahahaha. No, she was the one to actually meet the mailman at the door and yes, the box was well over 4ft in length and weighed about 10lbs. The previous owner included the running hardware with the kit which included all the drive train shafts, two motors, brass props, which came from Dean's marine from across the pond. 

Unlike most Trumpeter ship kits, this hull is in two pieces. Trumpeter usually makes their hulls one piece. So the box was a tad shorter than some of their kit boxes.  

• 4 weeks later...

I inherited a Tamiya U.S.S. New Jersey a few years ago from Lou.  the owner passed away.........I would really like to continue where he left off,  but it's still in my closet {one day Lou,  I will get to it}  from one model junkie to another.......I know your pain :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye, you sound like me. I can do anything tomorrow, I can climb Mt. Everest tomorrow, I can become President tomorrow, I can travel around the world tomorrow. Tomorrow, the greatest word ever created. I used that word often when my wife gives me that honey do list. Hopefully for you and Lou, that one day will be tomorrow. 

Edited by mtdoramike

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

{one day Lou,  I will get to it}  from one model junkie to another.......I know your pain :ph34r:

Where have I heard that before?😎:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

....knew you were gonna say that :unsure:  guess I'd better start matching up the paints .....huh?!?! :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

if they are to take the place of two of the screws,  you can set the other two up as dummies........that's quite a set up! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, mtdoramike said:

But the actual ship I believe was a 4 screw.

Yes they were, (are). But for purposes of RC operation two is more than enough. Remember you have something like an 8:1 hull ratio and it will not take much to get it going plenty fast enough to look realistic. (Or get yourself in trouble if you don't have plenty of room😭:blush:). Denis's suggestion of dummy props for when the ship is on display is a pretty good one.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Yeah, I suspect that is why the running gear package is setup for a two screw operation. The dummy props woulod have to be for display only because I can see where they we cause a bit of drag if not operational. I know what you mean about space Lou, the model as well as the real deal takes a lot of room to turn, although battle ships weren't as bad as carriers for needing plenty of ocean. 

They have a ton of hop up upgrades for these Trumpeter kits and the Missouri is no exception. I'm probably going to build it straight out of the box, with a few exceptions, I would like to put a wooden deck on it and maybe some brass turned cannon or guns. Don't get me wrong, the Craig said the kit can be built straight out of the box and get a fine model and looking through everything I agree. But I have seen some brass turned guns for a Trumpeter Bismarck and you could tell the difference between the molded guns and the brass turned guns. So eventhough the guns will be painted ( to me it's almost a crime to paint beautifully turned brass) but we'll see. 

The advantage of the dummy props for RC, is that the drag they create, require more thrust from the operating ones, of course. The extra thrust sends more water past the rudders, giving you more maneuverability. Also to get a properly shaped wake and bow wave the speed should be the square root of the scale, not a "Scale Speed". The square root is what they use in all the naval test tanks.

For instance, the Missouri steamed at about 35 to 36 knots top speed. Your model should go about 1/14th of this, not 1/200th.

Mike. Can you post the actual build in the proper log area because if goes any further here, I'll be way off topic on this section of MSW?   Thanks.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Mike. Can you post the actual build in the proper log area because if goes any further here, I'll be way off topic on this section of MSW?   Thanks.  

No problem Mark, this was never intended to be a build log only a topic of conversation. I will most definately do a proper build log in the appropriate forum when I get started on it, which will be a few months yet. Hopefully we will be able to tie this thread in with the build log. 

On 5/5/2022 at 8:19 PM, lmagna said:

for purposes of RC operation two is more than enough.

Seeing those motors brought back very fond memories of building one of Deans' destroyers - HMS Grenville - when I was a teenager... I decided that two Kyte motors seemed a bit wimpy, and installed the larger Kondor motors (more like the 58x series than 38x). For a 3' 9" model with a beam of about 4.5", that model would go from 0-60 like a Ferrari, and I remain convinced it would have gone straight up the side of a lamppost if it had water flowing down it!  I absolutely loved it! Useful when you see another ship heading straight for midships, too! One of the many experiences that got me hooked on model ships for life. I look forward to seeing the build log as an when you get to it :)

On 5/7/2022 at 2:48 AM, robdurant said:

I absolutely loved it! Useful when you see another ship heading straight for midships, too!

Been there, done that, more than once. Why is it that when there are a group of RC boaters, that ALL of the boats seem to have to group into the same small space when there is a whole lake to run in?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

Been there, done that, more than once. Why is it that when there are a group of RC boaters, that ALL of the boats seem to have to group into the same small space when there is a whole lake to run in?

That is like asking the question, (why is it always when my boat is furtherest away from me that my motor decides to stop working?).

On 3/28/2022 at 3:33 PM, druxey said:

Oh, dear. You have it bad. Fortunately there is no model intervention or recovery group in your area.

But there is Therapy for Shipaholics, here at MSW...😁

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Yes, the therapy consists of a large group discussion, where we all talk about our problem, and assure each other that were perfectly sane! I understand that many Admirals disagree with that conclusion, at their own meetings, but we're right! The next speaker at our local meeting, is Napoleon! It will be exciting!