Erycina by Craigie65 - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Plymouth Trawler

It is with some trepidation that I have decided to start a build log for Erycina. Thanks @AJohnson for the encouragement.  This, along with Nisha, was a Christmas gift.  I have finished Nisha and will post some photos of that one later.  I am undecided whether to build out of the box or to do some bashing to modernise her to emulate the Pilgrim or Vigilance of Brixham. Anyway, there is time to dwell on that. Not too much mind you as Nisha took shape very quickly. A testament to the designer not the builder.

E7BEB9BA-8D6D-4BEE-A805-1BD36D23FDC4.jpeg

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

The first step is to pre fair the frames - a simple exercise with the guidelines to follow.  I heeded the warnings in the comprehensive instructions and wore a mask while using my proxxon.

E5BBA44A-E48A-4240-A4B3-C6D99DF782BE.jpeg

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

After about an hour or so the basic hull shape and false deck was done. No dramas getting to this point. The stern frames are delicate and I was a more careful than I was with Nisha to make sure I did not snap off the outer frames.  There is still a bit of fairing to do, but the sun is out and that will have to wait until tomorrow.

7AB9E20C-3182-46D5-AFE1-6FC91B612CBF.jpeg

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

With the frames all faired and checked it is time to add the inner bulwarks. These parts do no seem to go fully into the slot as I first envisaged. Looking closely at the build manual and at other logs it seems as if the forward edge of the bulwarks barely rests inside the slot.

I decided to soak the forward bulwarks to put less strain on the stem as the top of the stem cracked just above the slot whilst dry fitting the bulwarks.  I will wait a few hours before glueing and pinning given the amount of swelling pear seems to have.  

Also took the opportunity to clamp the pre soaked counter to get the shape.

PS forgive the desk - it has been my office and shipyard throughout the pandemic.

9D9EE8E3-0513-43AB-A40B-52703798EA09.jpeg

AA36A070-383A-4718-A8D2-0989B8F11C9A.jpeg

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Andrew

I think it is a testament to frustration :)

we have converted the garage to a home office. I have a proper desk on order. Purely for work - no way my Admiral would let me use that as a workbench.  

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Time for the first plank. However when I offered up the plank it was below the level of the counter.  A shim was added to fix.  A bit of plank bending and the first one is on :)

D0E839B9-1E8D-424B-AE6E-F4C3A78DE7A3.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

On Nisha I did not have that problem, not sure why!  I did split one of the bulwarks - let’s keep that between us ;)

The counter was pre soaked twice. The first time I did not clamp one of the rear corners properly and induced a bit of a wave. Nailed it on the second attempt.

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Productive Easter weekend. First planking on, needs a bit of sanding, but reasonably happy with this.

I did crowd the planks at the counter.  For my next model I will split the hull into bands to give me a better idea of the run of the planks.

image.jpg

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

So on to the counter and outer bulwarks.

I deviated slightly from the build sequence and attached the keel, stem and stern outer pieces first.  In particular the the stern piece as I found it fiddlier on my Nisha where I fitted the counter first and then the outer stern piece.

At this point Erycina is going through her punk phase.

C1BE33BE-FC4E-40E9-84AF-45EC92B643A1.jpeg

I decided to presoak the outer counter - it makes glueing easier.

E3C68CD0-5C34-4AC4-A49C-1D93C71267A6.jpeg

Finally I added the outer bulwarks - the hole on the front port outer bulwark does not seem to align very well with the inner.  Looks as if I will need to drill this later. The starboard side has the bowsprit hole again a bit out of alignment but a bit of filing will sort that. No big deal really, just thought worth mentioning in case you come across this. 

44A7ADEC-F016-4CC8-AF00-6297EE93FA1A.jpeg

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Time to start the second planking.

Decided to fit the first plank without any tapering as it covers the lower part of the inner bulwark.  Not sure what’s going on here but the plank came up a bit short.  I will have to  add a small triangular plank.  I do not think that will be an issue as the wale covers this piece. Same on both sides - I offered up an uncut plank and they are too short, but only for this one plank.

DE583FFE-3517-4BC4-BD6E-B2747F03493C.jpeg

I then used a bit of tape to line off the first band of the hull to be four planks wide amidship.

027BCD5A-2800-4B6B-BA52-89EB6B15F662.jpeg

I then took the measurement at each frame and worked out the taper.  Not too much of a taper at the bow or stern. 

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Andrew,

Apart from being obviously longer, the stern goes a bit flatter before hitting the stern post. You can see I have not planked right to the end. Otherwise I think the second planking will be roughly the same as Nisha.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while, life 😜

Relatively straightforward second planking.

I worked my way down from the engraved outer bulwark until the counter was covered.  Then I decided to work from the garboard up.  I find it easier to fit steelers from the garboard up.

6B535E5A-7E95-4527-A49D-C319F46E5C1A.jpeg76382199-1507-429E-959A-E8DF913E15C8.jpeg

This final picture shows a tricky little area.  There is a gap at the counter where it meets the sternpost.  Need to think how to make that look acceptable. Any suggestions are most welcome. FA7BF816-372E-45B6-BD50-3E6E1ADB4B80.jpeg

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

• 2 weeks later...

Second planking on, just a bit of sanding to do to tidy it up a little.  Next stop the paint shop.  Thinking of dark green for above the deck, back hull, wales and capping rail, and dark red for below the waterline.  

58E35D57-B115-4CA7-936C-E2237EDB3F9D.jpeg

081F9309-F066-4512-B003-11DEB44092E1.jpeg

A250DF10-2D59-4495-BBBF-3BF1A6D3C2BD.jpeg

3E435F29-6E62-4393-BC69-492D43B7CDB2.jpeg

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Thanks Andrew!

tidied up the bow a bit more - was not happy with the way a couple of planks on either side where encroaching on the stem.  Used a carver to get them “straight”.   Still think the stern looks a bit unfinished where the planking is outside of the counter.  Hopefully not much will be seen once finished.

First coat of dark green is on an just waiting on it drying before next coat.  Will post a few more pics later.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Craigie,

In reply to your message on my finished Nisha thread, thank you - not as tidy as your Nisha!

I'm looking forward to seeing your Erycina, she looks great so far. I like your idea of a black hull with dark green above the white rubbing strake and I may copy you. 

It was this photo of Erycina (you've probably already seen it) near the end of her life in 1934 that got me thinking that not all the running rigging should be tied off at the base of the mast for Nisha. In the photo Erycina is 52 years old and showing her age - quite a contrast to the immaculate yacht-like models we build. I don't have the skill to do so, but I'd love to see someone build a battered, weathered version of Erycina more like the working boat she was. I may contact the Royal Maritime Museum and see if they will send out a higher resolution version of the photo, unless someone has it already? 

Photograph of 'Erycina' (1882) under sail in September 1934 off the Barbican, Plymouth posters & prints by H Oliver Hill (rmg.co.uk)

I am building the Zulu next and will build Saucy Jack before Erycina if Chris gets the Saucy Jack sail sets in. I'd like Erycina to be my last fishing boat (perhaps excepting Ranger which will depend upon when her kit is launched) before I pluck up the courage to tackle one of the Vanguard warships. 

Dan

Erycina.jpg

Dan

Current Build: HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Thank you for all the encouragement and likes.

Dan, I have never seen that photo before. Amazing how cluttered the deck looks.  I might be tempted to add the navigation lights to the shrouds.  

As to weathering that is way beyond my skill levels. I truly admire the artistic talent that can pull this off. 

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

A bit more progress with the colour scheme added. I used Vallejo paints, sprayed on with my airbrush.

I wanted a very dark overall scheme, so the green I plumped for is German Cam. Dark Green. The black is well black. The red is Vallejo’s Mecha Range dark red with a few drops of cavalry brown.

996BB76E-643B-4983-8EB3-D8CF0243F5C1.jpeg

Decided to paint the inner bulwark green and now need to decide if the timber heads will be black, green or left in natural wood.  The capping rails will be black so that might make the choice of colour for the timber heads for me.

D48684E3-333D-4EF8-81DD-E0263B1CAFCA.jpeg

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Thanks Andrew

I am leaning to the green timber heads - I reckon that a contrast colour would be too much effort for a working boat.  Mind you that should be fun keeping them in the right order as they get a coat of paint. 

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Craig, that’s a great choice of green, I really like it. 

I don’t have an airbrush so I need to find an equivalent in enamels as I’ll stick to the red oxide spray I use for the lower hull and brush paint the upper works when I get round to Erycina. 

I do like the contrast between the natural timberheads and the green bulwark but I suspect you’re right - no working boat would have bothered keeping it that way. That photo of Erycina shows how shabby these boats became with constant wear and tear. 

Dan

Current Build: HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Time to get the timber heads done.  After much procrastination I decided to paint them in green to match the bulwark.

I held each part in a clip to sand the char and gate.  Couple of swift passes and each is done.  A bit tedious but a chance to zone out with some music.  

Could not find any double sided tape in the house so used masking tape to hold the pieces for spraying.  Need to remember not to cover the letters or I will never remember the order!

E458A41C-BF10-4348-8BF9-CB858921E687.jpeg

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

A good weekend for progress on Erycina.

Timber heads, capping rails and wales all added.  Paint work needs a bit of a touch up, especially at the rear below the wales where I have green showing. But that is for another day.

AA70D80D-7B08-469A-89B9-83F84FAFFE8E.jpeg

Had to do a bit of surgery on the rear capping rails to get the transom rail to sit well.  Of course this was after I had painted and glued it in position. 00A27405-04E2-47A7-B3D0-6660242511B3.jpeg However it was relatively straight forward, although I may fettle the rear a little.  We will see.

06C81FE2-9995-4D22-A0D6-2C328608333B.jpeg

Some shots of work done

78FCA45B-F4FB-45E2-82DA-5D2761BDD276.jpeg

1F8FFAEC-0229-4649-B499-2866033CCA66.jpeg

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable