HMS Druid by Krug - 1:48 Hahn finished

Thanks for all the likes and looks!

Progress continues....  This afternoon I put a first coat of gel coat on after completing the starboard side railings.  Still some minor improvements but I think I can chalk up the quarterdeck railings in the complete column.

post-6104-0-67289200-1402166276_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-13471000-1402166278_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-60436200-1402166279_thumb.jpg

I got a little ahead of myself last night when I had the mid-railing complete to the full posts on the starboard side, but with no cutouts for the partial posts (those with the timber heads).  I of course patted myself on the back and promptly glued the railing into place.  Horror set in 30 seconds later when I realized my issue.  My mind raced on how to cut the holes while the railing was in place but luckily I calmed down and slowly worked the railing out of place.  Another minute or two and this would have been impossible.  I left everything for the morning and 10-15 minutes of work cleaned up all the glue residue.

Stay Building My Friends,

mark

Fantastic workmanship Krug.  When you get done applying the final finish your Druid is going to look great.

David B

It is a fine piece of work, all around. Well done and congratulations on a great looking model.

Russ

Been a while since I looked in on your build Mark, very impressive to say the least - the crispness of your joinery and overall workmanship is outstanding and suggests a much harder wood than bass wood. Quite the accomplishment, subtle but beautiful. Any progress on the figurehead? Still thinking of a hooded figure?  I need to update my Harvey log - I finished it except for a couple anchors to make and rig....  Lou

Lou!  I knew you would be back.  You really need to update your build log (so I can shamelessly take ideas to the Lady Anne post this build).

The figurehead is slated as pretty much the last item (which means it is coming up fast).  My current thought process shows a robed figure with the hood off of his head and for that little bit of craziness he will be holding a fish.  Next week I am hoping to start doodling up some 1:1 size possibilities.

David and Russ, sure appreciate the nice comments.

mark

Lovely work Mark. I'm intrigued to see the development of your figurehead.

A quick update:

Put in the Eking rails (from hawse holes to cathead).  The question was to bend the rail to fit the hull or carve it out of a larger block.  With all the angles and variations present (to include the thickness of the eking rail) I opted to carve it out.

post-6104-0-28056800-1402399275_thumb.jpg

To give the hull a more finished look prior to hitting the wheel and channels I tried a little scroll work carving on the rail transitions:

post-6104-0-85114800-1402399273_thumb.jpg

Definitely found that some times the carving goes fast and successful, and other times slow, painful and scrap.

Trying to put in an hour or so a day.

Mark

Moving right along.....

Rail transitions pieces complete, tree pumps complete, rudder chains complete, capstan rigging complete.  Misc Cleanup operations in-process.

Once the pumps were gel coated I used the ship as a drying rack.  Not your typical look.  Once the pumps were in place the gun deck is complete for this build.  Lots of stuff going on at the quarterdeck line:

post-6104-0-57999100-1402586194_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-25980100-1402586197_thumb.jpg

I decided to attach the rudder chains (since I was blackening the pump metal, might as well blacken the chain).  The attachment points were equivalent to the cannon tackle on the gun deck.  The ships lettering goes right above the chains.

post-6104-0-81284600-1402586195_thumb.jpg

I can finally sit back and see how close I am:

post-6104-0-59981900-1402586198_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-03226900-1402586200_thumb.jpg

The channels, ships wheel, ship name lettering and figurehead are all that remain (end of the month?)

Mark

Krug, if you do not bring that beauty to Manitowoc when finished I will be very upset you are doing an outstanding job.

David B

We have people from all over drop by for the sheer fun of shooting and trading ideas and having fun. I missed it this year because my illness but I know that a fun guy from NJ showed up with a large model of the Bismark.

David B

Dave must be one of the Manitowoc promoters. He is trying to get me to come from San Diego,

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Time to forge ahead and work on those channels!

First task was to generate the deadeyes.  I cut some square stock to the appropriate size and chocked it into the lathe.  After rounding it wasn't too much difficulty to get the deadeyes roughed in.  A lesson learned was to keep the length of the wood stock to around 3.5 inches.  This provided enough rigidity to make the lathing pretty straight forward.  Anymore and the flex just started to get too much, especially after a couple of inches of deadeyes were cut.

post-6104-0-02134700-1403057853_thumb.jpg

With the string of deadeyes it was straight forward to add the three eyes and THEN cut off the deadeye.  Much more handling power so greater accuracy.  With the deadeye figured out, it was a trial and error to define the wire lengths (20 gauge brass) necessary for the three loop lengths.  The intent is to silver solder the loops closed.

post-6104-0-70222700-1403057853_thumb.jpg

Then to check everything I put the channel in place (still missing the cap strip), made a template of the right angles to put the links on and affixed the prototype.  The bottom flat brass link is still missing.

post-6104-0-62330500-1403057855_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-96746500-1403057856_thumb.jpg

Everything seems to check out and now I just need to make 29 of these for each side (2 different sizes for the deadeyes).  With the cap strip on the deadeye is angled more correctly.  If necessary I can add a bend to insure this happens.

Mark

I think these links are among the most time consuming and frustrating things I have done on this build.  I have spent a lot of time trying to get them right and have probably thrown out enough wire to do 2-3 ships.  Never anticipated this at all.  After a lot of false starts and changes in techniques I finally have something that I am okay with:

post-6104-0-80905400-1403391364_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-38889800-1403391366_thumb.jpg

Thirty eight (38) total pieces involved for this.  I have only kept track since about a third of the way in the build but I have to be over 2500 total pieces so far.....

Now to just do the same thing for the other five!  I am hopeful I can cut the time required for each to just a couple of hours per.

Mark

Mark:

That looks good. The links are very well shaped and I do not see any joints. The hard work paid off.

Russ

You did a great job.  When I had to make links I would use a drill bit the right diameter.  That way my oversized fingers would not get pinched.

David B

Hi Mark:

I enjoyed going through your build log. Very nice work. I definitely agree with you about 1:48 scale. Currently working at 1:60th and actually wishing I had gone to 1:50th. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thanks David and Dave.  I actually think the clove hitches would be therapy compared to the issues I just had - but have to believe it is in the past and it is all rainbows and sunshine up ahead, hah hah.

Speaking of in the past I jumped into the prototype ship stand today to see some progress (and success).  This was a think of it as you go (other than the base measurement calculations).

post-6104-0-92033400-1403479648_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-33351000-1403479650_thumb.jpg

It turned out more solid than I had thought.  I thought some outside rods for lateral movement support would be required but now don't think so.  It is configured for people looking at and through the upper decks to see the internal details.  And yes, the seamless acrylic case is on order.

The bottom stand will be painted black and I will probably substitute clear acrylic rods for the upright posts.

A little different but I like it.

Mark

P.S.  Now to get back to those other channels.....

What about substituting a 1/4" thick Acrylic (plexi) mirror plate for the wooden base?  You could drill through it to mount the acrylic rods, (with a small stand-off to hide the screw heads) that way it would be easier to see all of your awesome interior detail.  Just a thought...

outstanding work Mark !,

for what reason is the Druid not on horizontal keel Level on the stand ? gues you had a Special thought along with that....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils - I had just thought (first step to getting in trouble) about the normal viewers I have had.  Most have leaned over the ship to peer into the openings and get a closer look at the fittings on the deck.  By having a slant this viewing is easier to achieve.  It additionally invites closer looking and turns it more into a study ship than one in historical perspective.  Hopefully this will keep the "I thought the bottom was planked..." questions to a minimum.

I haven't really seen this done before but thought I would try it.

Bob - I had thought about the mirror on the bottom but will wait until I get the full case constructed and see how that looks.  My initial thought was to have black fabric on the bottom mounting board to which the base is affixed.  Still time to think those things through as I bang my head on the channels, ships wheel and figurehead.

Local surveys have shown a tendency for just painting the pedestals black and forego the acrylic.  I might have to make two stands (not very expensive) to do a final look comparison.

Mark

Nils - I had just thought (first step to getting in trouble) about the normal viewers I have had.  Most have leaned over the ship to peer into the openings and get a closer look at the fittings on the deck.  By having a slant this viewing is easier to achieve.  It additionally invites closer looking and turns it more into a study ship than one in historical perspective.  Hopefully this will keep the "I thought the bottom was planked..." questions to a minimum.

I haven't really seen this done before but thought I would try it.

Bob - I had thought about the mirror on the bottom but will wait until I get the full case constructed and see how that looks.  My initial thought was to have black fabric on the bottom mounting board to which the base is affixed.  Still time to think those things through as I bang my head on the channels, ships wheel and figurehead.

Local surveys have shown a tendency for just painting the pedestals black and forego the acrylic.  I might have to make two stands (not very expensive) to do a final look comparison.

Mark

Good idea Mark,

sometimes like here it`s the inovative approach that sets a new interesting view...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hm, maybe you can go further, add two servos and a stick, to tilt the model? Stick could be embedded into display case, it will control the servos and tilt / rotate the model, so viewer can look from various angles?

All electronic for that is quite cheap (I bet on something close to $30-$40), but will require enough space inside the display case, so model could move there without problems.

Of course, viewer can just move the head to get another angle, but it's boring and not fun! :)

P.S.: sorry for a crazy idea, but since you are going that way, adjusting the display case so viewer will have a better overview of hull internals... ;)

Another thing you can do is make a base from a polished mirror.  I have seen this done many times in the past.

David B

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like forever, but finally I can state the deadeyes are complete.  I am ready to get back to woodchips and away from all this metal work.  Lots of continued lessons learned!!

In another milestone the plexiglass case I ordered arrived and it fits!!  The base is not yet built so I lifted the stand up to the targeted height with a wood block.  Still need to focus on the ships wheel and figurehead, but things are falling into place.

post-6104-0-59467400-1404497964_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-18350700-1404497966_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-89447400-1404497967_thumb.jpg

Some family time left this weekend prior to hitting it hard again come Monday.  I actually think it is a tunnel exit ahead and not a train....

Mark