HMS Druid by Krug - 1:48 Hahn finished

Hi Mark,

Zoom in on the figurehead photo dated 7/28, and concentrate on the drape of the robe over the left arm and shoulder. It looks as though you could round the corner of the sleeve, from the cuff all the way up and around the top of the shoulder. You might also do some rounding  on the robe hanging under the arm, down towards the foot. Then zoom in on the 7/28 photo showing the right arm. A bit of rounding similar to the other side might then have your Druid looking more realistic... rounder and less square. 

Also. look at the hood on the bottom two photos dated 7/29. You might also shave the back of the hood a bit to make the fabric drape more vertically down to where his shoulders would be. The hood fabric would then be shaped more like the outside of the Druid's skull.

A friend, a magnificent carver of birds, and now starting to work on ship models, might have some more useful observations on your Druid figurehead. I'll email him and have him take a look.

Take a look at the website he recently put together, showing some of his magnificent bird carvings.

http://www.wingedexpressions.com/home.html

Peter

Thanks, Peter.  I have used two more sessions with the figurehead generating a LARGE pile of dust and chips, hard to believe from a piece so small, but in this case less is more.  I am trying to balance between a stylized version and a realistic version.  But after last nights session I was happy with the look and after staring at it for 10 minutes this morning there was no little voice in the back of my head.  The final version is:

post-6104-0-15567300-1406844902_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-53349900-1406844904_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-25551500-1406844906_thumb.jpg

So I can officially say that the SHIP IS DONE, and this will be my last post with pictures (and the peasants rejoiced).

post-6104-0-62260300-1406844907_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-91412200-1406844909_thumb.jpg

Stats of my first scratch ever:

Duration:  12 years (during 3 house moves, 3 finished basements, kitchen remodels, etc)

External Additions:  2 kids (6 in total)

Hours:   Over 500 estimated (356 specifically accounted for in my log, begun 3 years in)

Pieces:   Over 3000 estimated  (2600 accounted for in my log)

Fun:    Priceless

My thoughts now turn back to the Lady Anne and my next scratch.....

Stay Building my Friends,

Mark

Brilliant stuff Mark.. Congrats on the addition to the Family.. :P

See You On Your Next Build (don't forget to give us all a reminder on here as to where/when to look for it ^_^ )

Stay Well My Friend

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Congratulations again Mark.  Your final tweaking on the figurehead was worth it - it looks great.

Reading through your stats, the one that stood out to me was the addition of two kids, making six in total - I would normally tell someone with that many kids that they seriously need a hobby................................. ;) 

I don't know how you managed to fit in the ship modelling in amongst all of that - I have had enough trouble finding time bringing up just one kid over the time I've been modelling, and the really serious work didn't start until he left home!

Looking forward to your next scratch build. 

just read you log from the start, sorry i missed the following of it, truly inspiring work, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks Everyone, still hard to believe this journey is over but....since I have moved the Druid up to the family room I have had quite a few comments (all good) but also questions covering construction, 1700’s nautical life, tactics and a LOT of architecture based ones.  This has got me thinking about my next steps.

The Lady Anne will definitely be completed next (mostly rigging exercise now) but I am looking for something scratch to start this fall.  The limits on display locations also play into the selection (I have absolutely NO IDEA where the Lady Anne will end up).

So…..I have decided to augment my Druid build with a same scale Druid cross section focused on the main mast – half open construction and half fully planked and framed.  The main mast will be complete to include yardarms and shrouds, the decks will be stocked with representative items (cannon, ballast, barrels), still made mostly with basswood but I will appropriately stain the wales and other colored areas, copper the bottom, and add knees since they would now be seen.

Not too many large wooden ship nautical types around these parts.  As I get an education this provides me with a ready-made way to pass on my enthusiasm and ‘maybe’ get someone to think about taking part in the hobby.

There are many items down deep in the hold that I know I can do better (now).  Now that they will be seen I believe I have the skills to properly execute them.  My hope is that this is done in a year or so!

Mark

Mark,

looks like you have now reached your set Goal with the "Druid", congratulations on your fine and excellent work.

You have the "Lady Anne" on your slipway already, also a very nice build with wonderful Detail and Fitting out work, trust we shall see more from that Corner of your shipyard in the next weeks...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Just beautiful, Mark.  The figurehead is magnificent finish.  I'm looking forward to the Lady Anne and the cross-section.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 months later...

A little addendum to the story of my Druid.  Grand Rapids (here in Michigan) has hosted for the past six years an event called ArtPrize.  This is a city wide hosted event focusing on art, both professional and amateur.  There is a prize purse in excess of half a million dollars so this isn't small.  This year saw 1536 entries spread over 174 venues.

My wife wasn't impressed with a lot of last years entries and said she was going to enter the Druid, which she did.  So I earlier this year became an official entry of the 3-D category (with 346 of my closest friends).

post-6104-0-16953200-1412524919.jpgpost-6104-0-52694800-1412524919_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-72710000-1412524922_thumb.jpg

I ended up being hosted by a seafood restaurant actually directly across from the art museum:

post-6104-0-99656200-1412524919_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-77693500-1412524921_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-28904600-1412524922_thumb.jpg

Over the course of the last week and a half I have been on site talking about my work to over a 1000 people.

post-6104-0-24936700-1412524921_thumb.jpg

I made up small business cards to advertise (standard fare for this event) but took it up a notch with a customized card holder:

post-6104-0-49826800-1412524920_thumb.jpg

I do not want to turn this into a 'what is art and what is not' topic but I was the only ~accurate model based entry (all years).  It was a little hard to keep my ego in check with the consistent outstanding comments people directed at me.  There was lots of "My Grandfather / Father / Son would love this / used to do this."  "I grew up with one of these in the house and have always loved them...."

The feedback was worth it if nothing else.  I did meet a special youth that I invited over for some ship modeling discussions.  Peter has faced a lot of challenges but has been working on a model of the Titanic with popsicle sticks and pictures (no plans):

post-6104-0-77412100-1412525628_thumb.jpg

There is a lot of interest out there in models, particularly ship models.  Do not be afraid to engage and put yourself out there,  I can tell you the rewards are huge.

Mark

Mark,

That is absolutely fantastic.  I'm also admiring Peter's efforts.  Looks to be quite well done, IMO. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Eamonn and Mark (plus all the likes).  They have picked the final 20 (out of 1536) and I didn't make the cut.  This is that whole what is art topic.  For instance the official judges put the following at the top of their list:

post-6104-0-67581500-1412540395_thumb.jpeg

At least it involves the water.  Those are two representations of the 'artist' dressed in a bunny suit floating in the Grand River.  What can I say, I just didn't stand a chance against the pro's......(hah, hah).

I wasn't in it for the money (would have been nice though.....) it was the discussions from the people stopping by and the interest it caused. 

Mark

Edited by kruginmi

Great to see ship modeling exposed to so many people Mark, well done.

I have come to the conclusion based on the last picture that I will never understand art...

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

The problem is... you didn't talk like an artist and stare off into the distance with that look of "artistic distain"  while mumbling about "no one understands my art!".   :D  :D :D  :D  :D  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

A pity. The creative aspect of model building (from choosing the wood to filling out the gaps in the plans) makes it no less a form of art than creative photography or painting. Imo this Druid combined good artwork with the creativity that is demanded by art. The bunny suit foto is certainly creative but, at least in my case, it fails to invoke any kind of emotion or insight which makes it (for me) somewhat meh.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning Mark

i have booted the front row of the avid watches to you build out, so that i can see better, do you have any photo's of the early part of your build,

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Kevin,

I do have quite the archive (I call it the "Book of Druid").  One part where I am lacking is up to where the frames are attached to the jig.  I had no idea if this 'madness' would go very far and pictures just didn't enter my thought process.

If you have anything specific I can see what I have.  Remember this was my first total scratch so I always put the disclaimer 'Viewer Beware' (hah, hah).

I really need to get back to the workshop......

Mark

Okay, I am currently confined to the family room watching the four year old so I started some poking around my computer.  This is a sample of my earliest stuff:

First thing to be tackled was the quick frame cutting guides that Mr. Hahn provides.  I was using Basswood so like he states for his builds, he had lots of wood and this significantly cut down the frame generation time.  I was unsure of replicating the guides as provided so I altered the method a little:

post-6104-0-65059300-1413644060_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-05893900-1413644061_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-77922600-1413644061_thumb.jpg

I cut out one jig piece at a time very accurately.  Using these as guides, I generated sleds for replicating.  First strips were cut from the boards equal to the piece width (constant over all jig pieces).  The sled has two slots for each piece required.  One of the slots is open ended allowing these strips to be inserted and the end cut to the right angle.  Then you flip the strip over and position the newly cut end against its stop and with one more cut the jig piece is made.

Then was production of the frames.  This is where the pics are lacking but I did work very closely with the frame outlines to insure the frame wood covered the required area that had to be cut out.  Production of the middle frames was pretty easy, it was went you went to the curvature of the bow / stern that you had to be careful.

post-6104-0-43461100-1413644062_thumb.jpg

I did not pre-bevel the frames and looking at the frames as they were trial fitted in the jig slots shows there was definitely work ahead for me internally (and externally).  Most of this beveling was done with cabinet scrapers and actually didn't take too long.

post-6104-0-84020500-1413644064_thumb.jpg

I also somewhat modified the actual gluing up of the frames into the slots.  I created a faux-keel which had the width of the keel (no slots) but was extra thick to insure no distortion.  I worked very hard to precisely position two full frames both aft and forward - insuring the frames were 90 degrees to the board, their height was correct and the keel absolutely level as it sat in place between them.  The rest of the frames had their extension pieces (into the board) clipped just a little.  I then worked towards the middle from the ends.  Each frame would have glue applied to their extension pieces and pushed into their jig board slots.  The faux-keel would be clamped on the verified good frames fore and aft then the new frame pulled up into place and clamped to the faux-keel (verified it was 90 degrees to the board).  I also would insert temporary spacers (usually not necessary).  Periodically I would use the produced keel with slots to verify it would fit and never had a problem.  I think I saved a lot of abuse on my good keel this way.

post-6104-0-13120100-1413644063_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-27887900-1413644064_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-40596900-1413644065_thumb.jpg

I guess my main take away is to never think what you are told as the process as being the only way.  You can always personalize and change.  If it doesn't work out, try again.  For my next ship (based on Mr Hahn's plans) I will custom make each frame piece (but still include the extensions).  I believe I can do it pretty quickly now - I don't think I would have had the confidence back then AND it will be probably a slower process.

My signature piece of purple heart for the false keel is apparent in these photos.

post-6104-0-69238800-1413644063_thumb.jpg

Stay Building My Friends,

mark

If people have any interest, I can add some photos every couple of days.  Actually makes me feel like I am doing something.....

I would love to see any photo that you have, but this will mess up your build log

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin,

No issues with messing up my build log, it is essentially done.  This is just filling in the gaps.

I now see the interest, you are jumping in and looking to build the Druid yourself - GREAT CHOICE!  I have really enjoyed my time building it.  1/48 is an optimal size (in my opinion) and the Druid is a great subject.  Not too much ornamentation but plenty of things to learn from.

Good Luck!

Mark

Mark 

i appreciate you receive wood for the frames keel, top hull planking, and decking beams

what else is received?, and what else did you buy to complete this build, like decking etc 

If for any reason i was to fully plank one side, can you remember what the thickness of the wood was

i have found a local wood yard that states they will mill wood down the customers specification, going to see them next week

sorry for the silly questions

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

No issue with silly questions here, Kevin.

However, I did not buy a timbering set.  I primarily used Basswood that I could procure in various thicknesses locally at hobby shops around here in standard sizes (3" by 24" planks).  I bought it as I needed it throughout the build so I didn't keep track as to how much I actually used.  For the boxwood I purchased $50 in various sizes from the Lumberyard of which I have a lot left .

For sizes I referred to the plans by Mr. Hahn (constantly) and if nothing shown, looked into my book supply (or this site) to figure out what made sense.  I could give you widths of any part of my ship you want but you need to confirm yourself that this is what you want to use.

It is primarily standard sizes (1/16", 3/32", 1/8", etc).

Mark

Kevin,

You might verify with The Lumberyard, but you get plankings (deck hull), coamings (but not the gratings), railings, carving wood, waterways, wales, deck clamps, sills, ledges, and carlings.  Basically just the hull.   You'll need to source stock for all the masting, rigging line, blocks, guns, grates, etc.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Kevin,

I just wanted to let you know I enjoyed reading these 10 pages of your log and admire your work.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

• 1 year later...

scanned all-absolutely awe inspiring!  

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

John, you are very kind.

I still do smile when I walk past the model in my house.  Funny thing is revisiting this build album.  There are several pics where I am left scratching my head and trying to remember how I did that - hah hah.  As I tell visitors, it wasn't a build of a ship - it was hundreds of builds of hundreds of items that put together, made a ship.

Looking forward to what tomorrow will bring.

mark