Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat by ccoyle - FINISHED - GPM - 1/33 - CARD

Hi, gang!

Welcome to another card aircraft build! This one will feature a new release from the Polish publisher, GPM -- it will be my first crack at a GPM kit. The 2021 design by Rafał Ciesielski depicts a Grumman F6F-3 of US Navy Fighter Squadron VF-27 aboard the light carrier USS Princeton (CVL-23) at the time that ship was sunk on 24 October 1944 during the sprawling Battle of Leyte Gulf. In addition to this livery, the model can also be purchased in the livery of VF-9 aboard USS Essex (CV-9) during the 1943 Gilbert Islands campaign.

I'm building this model for a special purpose -- it will be a going-away present for a friend and coworker of mine who is moving to Virginia in September (hence the need to start the build before my USS England project is finished -- I want to be sure that I have plenty of time). Dave is an Air Force veteran and former KC-135 driver who likes naval aviation. He knows I'm building something for him, but he doesn't know what it is -- it will be a surprise, so mum's the word!

Here's the kit's cover. The aircraft wears the US Navy's tricolor scheme of dark blue over medium blue with light blue-gray undersides. VF-27 aircraft wore a cat's mouth design on their cowlings.

cat1.thumb.jpg.cf24a115f9df508aec102dc502cf999d.jpg

The kit includes five pages of diagrams, three pages of frames on plain paper, and five pages of color parts on card stock. The print quality is good, though with minimal weathering. The kit as rated as having an intermediate level of difficulty, which looks about right to my experienced eye.

Diagrams:

cat2.thumb.jpg.e4d49c1bbf22f952f167cd43c21a0375.jpg

Color parts:

cat3.thumb.jpg.95dbd9131281df5401f72c715214c776.jpgcat4.thumb.jpg.1c0264f787656e83b3ac83dae90da130.jpgcat5.thumb.jpg.cf64847cdff6923532fc1e3aad921cfb.jpg

I will be replacing all of the kit frames with laser-cut frames. The laser-cut set is comprised of seven frets. Three contain the usual formers. I'm very pleased to see that these use tab-and-slot construction, which should eliminate some of the potential alignment issues.

cat6.thumb.jpg.b2179d6bac1a490ffd3cb5204823ae86.jpg

There are also four small frets. One includes small detail parts, one contains instrument panels, and two feature very finely etched and cut parts for the radial engine. These latter parts could prove to be real time-savers.

cat7.thumb.jpg.12bb3d2387473539b6aa5a73f127c002.jpg

Lastly, I went all-in and ordered a very nice set of 3D-printed wheels. These even include the tires' diamond-pattern tread.

cat8.jpg.29d1fa04734d5a5a173c2ca0340618e6.jpg

I also have the vacuformed canopy (not shown).

I'm feeling very good about starting this model. I'm motivated, and the kit looks great. I'm really looking forward to seeing how well this GPM product goes together.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

This will be Nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Ooh Pacific campaign flyer!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Another paper marvel. After the streamlined surfaces of a Spitfire, no doubt that the quality of this will be equally impressive.

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

I'm here Chris, nice model... I guess we will see if GPM deserves it's reputation of being difficult....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

First frames assembled. The tab-and-slot construction goes together very well. For some reason, the slots for part WA6, which is a spacer between two bulkheads, did not allow that part to be slotted in perpendicular to the bulkheads. It's not a big deal, because they won't be seen later. One thing that I noticed nearly immediately is that this center fuselage section is much larger than that for any other airplane model I have thus far assembled. The Hellcat was a chunky beast!

cat10.thumb.jpg.925e180172469d5e16d874835cbad506.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Grumman Ironworks fine design. Looking forward to your build, Chris.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Love this aircraft Chris - looks like a little bulldog ready for business.  Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Test fit of the instrument panel. Notice anything . . . odd? Yes, that's right -- there's a whole lot of bulkhead still showing. I have no idea why that should be so, and the diagrams give no hint either. I expect some minor surgery will be called for. BTW, the instruments are glazed.

cat11.thumb.jpg.21749a44a31c0961c26ac5655e683fe5.jpg

BTW, I saw an announcement just recently that Card Army will be publishing another Wundermodell -- and it's a Hellcat. For certain it will be a. amazing, b. expensive, and c. beyond my abilities.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

A and B  yes  but certainly not C.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

17 hours ago, ccoyle said:

The Hellcat was a chunky beast!

Had to be to hold all that engine!

I agree with OC, possibly A&B but definitely not C.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Okay, here is the bulkhead after surgery.

cat12.thumb.jpg.1161c9a9508f1ba00ba949f8ff1f7f7e.jpg

I wicked some thin CA into the cut edge, then sanded and painted the exposed surfaces, and glued the instrument panel in place.

cat13.thumb.jpg.ea5dce594a05fe16240ecf43ed273887.jpg

One thing to note --  I'm aware that I've got two mismatched shades of green, but most of this will not be visible on the finished model. The second shot, with the aft bulkhead only dry-fitted, approximates the lowest viewing angle that will permit viewing into the finished cockpit. Even the bit of bulkhead behind the panel will probably not be visible, but I painted it anyway -- just in case.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

6 minutes ago, Dion Dunn said:

But.....you know it's in there. 

I think we've all been there and done that..... {chuckle}

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

6 hours ago, Egilman said:

I think we've all been there and done that..... {chuckle}

And even with wood ships, many of us are still there.  Think "detailing the lower deck"....  Yep....I'm still there and doing it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

off on another gem for your collection.........all in to see the show  ;)   late observation......if visibility is an issue,  I first though you might simply paint the area you cut out in the color of the interior.  but after seeing what your results are.......you've done an outstanding job.  superb solution to your problem! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. My modeling mojo sort of fell off the grid for a bit, but I finally got back to it. Rudder pedals are one of my least favorite tasks, because they inevitably have numerous delicate parts. Each of the 'Cat's pedals has nine parts; happily, five of them are included in the laser-cut set, which made work easier, even if still tedious. Control stick and linkage also added -- the rear part of the linkage will eventually pass through the aft bulkhead. I also tweaked my interior green a bit -- too late for the instrument panel, but the other interior features will blend in better.

cat14.thumb.jpg.e71533c55051e79625e53a343eeb46ea.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Continuing with the cockpit. Part of the reason why the GPM kit is rated intermediate is that its cockpit is rather simplified, with quite a few details either printed only or omitted entirely -- makes for easier construction, but doesn't have the same level of 'wow' factor as some other kits. Also, the construction sequence of the diagrams is kind of vague, and I have been deviating from them wherever it makes sense to do so. Unlike HMV kits, the diagrams do not indicate where laser-cut optional parts are available, and I have already found a few on the frets after using the printed parts. Lastly some construction details, e.g. the seat straps, are not shown on the diagrams, making some guess work about their positioning necessary.

Here is a shot of the aft bulkhead. It is not particularly interesting, but I've included the shot because most of this will be invisible after the seat is installed.

cat15.thumb.jpg.b6c4f81387ac49201144dae5f2fb860b.jpg

And here is the seat and aft bulkhead after installation, which proves my point.

cat16.thumb.jpg.1d4eace4f32d218100b32fa4a20b0f55.jpg

The straps are from the laser-cut set. I like the extra detail on the buckles -- I don't like how easily the thin card wanted to delaminate when folded.

The diagrams suggest that the wall-mounted cockpit details should be added to the inner cockpit skin, then the entire piece should be glued to the fuselage. Um . . . no. I think I will cut that piece into three pieces and do each wall separately.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

BTW #1: I noticed last night that I inadvertently glued the quadrant lever on upside down, but it was past bedtime, so I'll have to fix that tonight.

BTW #2: I found out yesterday that the upcoming Card Army #3 kit will not be a Hellcat but rather a P-40. The F6F-5 will be Card Army #4.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Cockpit is done now.

First we have the port-side wall, which I'm fairly certain is way over-simplified, since it has only a single quadrant.

cat18.jpg.5323a3881ac8b662608075b5e20d500d.jpg

Then the reflector sight. Laser-cut parts were provided for this, but -- believe it or not -- they were just too delicate. The sight was easier to make with the original card parts.

cat19.thumb.jpg.c1a7218cd1fda89af888ad46ee75277d.jpg

And finally we have the port wall attached to the fuselage. As is usual with airplane models, much of the hard work done on the cockpit will subsequently evade much notice.

cat20.thumb.jpg.4b5d442e82656aa67cb47489bb75d0ab.jpg

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I realized while working on the sub-structure for the empennage that the kit provides alternative internal parts for making separate control surfaces, so I need to make the decision about those real soon. I'm leaning away from the separate parts at the moment, since this is a presentation model, and separate control surface, despite their 'cool' factor, come at the cost of increased complexity and a greater potential for boogering things. Clean looks are more important on this model than extra detail.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

I realized while working on the sub-structure for the empennage that the kit provides alternative internal parts for making separate control surfaces, so I need to make the decision about those real soon. I'm leaning away from the separate parts at the moment, since this is a presentation model, and separate control surface, despite their 'cool' factor, come at the cost of increased complexity and a greater potential for boogering things. Clean looks are more important on this model than extra detail.

Go for what you feel is best, Chris.  No matter which way you build it, it's still going to be a special gift.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Clean looks are more important on this model than extra detail.

I haven't seen a presentation model yet of any aircraft that had moved control surfaces... Clean is the usual look... with typical accessories, (drop tanks and the like)

Quote: