M3 Lee Tank by CDW - Miniart - 1:35 Scale - FINISHED

Ah... I'm in.  For a minute there I thought it was one in the Haunted Tank comic book series but that was  M3 Stuart,  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow, those castings look good. I'm in and following.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

7 minutes ago, Canute said:

Wow, those castings look good. I'm in and following.

Yes, the castings are quite nice. This kit is reminiscent of limited run kits, in that the sprue gates are rather large and the plastic is a bit on the soft side. Care is needed to be sure details are not being cut off when removing parts from the sprues. I noticed that some of the smaller parts are cast where it appears the mold halves did not align perfectly, creating a small problem to clean up before painting. For the cost of the kit, it is very well done indeed. I picked up this copy at my local hobby shop for less than $65 and 10% off that for the veterans discount. My usual online sources were out of stock, but I am not surprised given the fact that Mini Art is a company out of Ukraine.

On 5/18/2022 at 7:30 PM, CDW said:

I used to buy every issue of that comic book. Loved it.

Same here. Got my hammock already strung from the rafters. Great view so far.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Same here. Got my hammock already strung from the rafters. Great view so far.

Bet you had all the nibbles?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

24 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Bet you had all the nibbles?

Only those I brought with me.

Been on a bit of a limited diet lately. Not forced just loss of apatite after starting a new med. Down a little over 20 pounds. Who knows, might be a good thing in the long run. Loose pain, pounds and both vertical and horizontal inches!:36: 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

8 hours ago, lmagna said:

Got my hammock already strung from the rafters. Great view so far.

Come on up Lou, I've been waiting to start on the brittle 😉😋

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thats some lovely detail there mate,  and the White  will be an excellent  base   for your  weathering.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

13 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

I've been waiting to start on the brittle

Nice of you to think of me and wait Edward. I'm afraid that my special stock does not arrive until the week after next when my wife returns with it from her trip with a girlfriend. :(

Nice work Craig I have never seen the interior of a Lee and am learning as you progress.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

18 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Nice of you to think of me and wait Edward. I'm afraid that my special stock does not arrive until the week after next when my wife returns with it from her trip with a girlfriend. :(

Nice work Craig I have never seen the interior of a Lee and am learning as you progress.

Guess  we need  Mark and his  Popcorn  machine  - never  fails.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

8 hours ago, lmagna said:

It’s my first time seeing it too. A big radial engine will fill the engine bay eventually. Going to see what I can do to leave some of the armor panels dry fitted to allow the finished model to show the interior. Would be a shame to cover all that detail never to be seen again.

14 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Guess  we need  Mark and his  Popcorn  machine  - never  fails.

OC.

The popcorn machine is always available, OC.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 minutes ago, Canute said:

Fire it up, Kimosabe!

Around here... it runs 24-7.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

it runs 24-7.

Voracious crowd!:D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

We had one in my squadron and it ran from early morning until the end of the duty day (4:30 PM).

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Very nice work Craig.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Looking good Craig

So strange, at least to me, to see that huge aircraft radial engine inside a tank. I know it was done and worked but it still looks odd. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Looking good Craig

So strange, at least to me, to see that huge aircraft radial engine inside a tank. I know it was done and worked but it still looks odd. 

By all accounts I have read, the M3's were built as a stop-gap measure until the M4 Shermans reached full production status. I suspect the radial engines were in production for aircraft use and as they were available in quantity, used as the tank powerplant. Could be wrong about that as it's just a guess on my part. I read that the M3's provided to the Russians were rather despised, but they nevertheless stood their ground and sometimes performed well against Panzer III's and early Panzer IV's at Kursk and at Stalingrad. I recall reading one time the rivets that were used extensively on the tank hull became shrapnel for the M3 tank crews when the vehicles were hit by enemy fire. 

Like many allied designs prior to WWII the M-3/4 was just not as well developed or nearly as advanced as their German counterparts. In some ways you could compare them to the P-40s and F-4Fs going up against the Japanese. Not nearly as advanced but when used within their abilities and strengths did an amazing job of accounting for themselves. On the other hand there were some that claimed that the M-3 was superior to the Panzer IV. I am not a tank guy so I couldn't say.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey