J-47GE-27 Turbojet drawn in Solidworks then eventually 3D printed at 1/32nd scale...

19 hours ago, Nirvana said:

I am very much into 3D drafting but using Fusion360 and SketchUp.

This turbin looks amazing, great job.

Wish I had the same skills.

Thanks Doc, You have the same skills, probably better skills than me... All it takes is practice... Of course I'm using SW, F360 just became too buggy for me.... and I got a deal on it and there's a ton of tuts online to teach one how to use it... For this type of modeling it can't be beat in my humble opinion...

Thanks for commenting and following, it's greatly appreciated...

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

11 hours ago, Canute said:

Your combustor section looks good.  👍   All you need now is the nozzle section.

Thanks Ken, the turbine section comes next, it's fairly simple basically a can with a flange on the end.... Then a tapered cone for the exhaust... It shouldn't be too much longer before I'm printing

again... Nothing inside will be seen...

Finally got the details done on the combustor assembly, cross fire tubes are in the Alcohol/Water injection rings are on and the bolts installed... it getting easier as I get closer to the end...

Making progress....

IMG_0148K.thumb.png.f79dfacfad4a01c9b04f654a21bd514c.png

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

4 hours ago, Egilman said:

Of course I'm using SW, F360 just became too buggy for me....

EG

Yes, you are right in that part, the software is more unstable than two years ago.

SketchUp is just getting better and better.

Being owned by Trimble made a huge difference.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

16 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Yes, you are right in that part, the software is more unstable than two years ago.

SketchUp is just getting better and better.

Being owned by Trimble made a huge difference.

Sketchup is good, I just found it a bit slanted towards the art/animation crowd rather than the engineering crowd... Very useable though and free for the most part...

Anyway welcome aboard...

Quote:

Another update...

Turbine section complete....

Front...

IMG_0148L.thumb.png.2eb9838a28c0ac5f17ec3ea7969b2189.png

And the rear... I had to do a double loft on this one to reduce the cross section area to give it a better chance of printing successfully....

IMG_0148M.thumb.png.69eb9e934681e2955751ded99ef02bbe.png

And coming up, the Exhaust Cone... 

Onwards brothers....

EG

IMG_0148N.png

IMG_0148O.png

Quote:

Getting close to the point we'll be able to hear that engine roar in our heads.  To me it just looks amazing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Getting close to the point we'll be able to hear that engine roar in our heads.  To me it just looks amazing.

Well, Thank you my friend... It makes me very happy that you are enjoying the trip...

Tail cone is finished, about to post an update....

Stay Tuned...

Quote:

Ok Brothers, the general design is done, still a lot of details to do but the basic engine components are completed.... Will be setting them up for printing tonight....

Final part is the Exhaust Cone, it comes in two parts, the casing and thrust cone and a little tail point that glues onto the end... I had to make it in two pieces to allow a hole for the resin to drain when it prints...

Front...

IMG_0148P.thumb.png.3637cc2e8ccbf05dd84e22b0d95669bf.png

Rear...

IMG_0148Q.thumb.png.2d5f69ef0e5fc267395e6c9864db8d29.png

And the tail piece...

IMG_0148R.thumb.png.95d34fcf464382f1ab107880c0dcd152.png

All assembled, it looks like this.... (compared to a real one)

IMG_0148T.thumb.jpg.dd01bf537c269a8eb28c60cc4c3b8606.jpg

IMG_0148S.thumb.png.dd87ad3c4b7907a7abf0296ce738d608.png

IMG_0148V.thumb.jpg.b735ce686a69f9d84f2548579a09030f.jpg

IMG_0148U.thumb.png.7eb0e232b27ea336dac6f6066f95c6ee.png

I think it fits the bill, at least it looks the part way better than the kit parts did... Anyway I'm now doing the configuration for printing the aft portions...

I'm hoping I didn't screw it up and it goes smoothly...

Update on the printing in a bit....

EG

IMG_0148W.png

IMG_0148X.png

Quote:

Well, she's printed, washed and dried.... And I broke her... the Turbine Housing and Exhaust Cone was too thin to handle the clearing away of the supports.. but they did print very nice...

IMG_0149.thumb.JPG.a1ab9fffe27d8d495400d4243f7480df.JPG

There you go, a 1/32nd scale J-47GE-27....

This is where she broke....

IMG_0150.thumb.JPG.8834fdcd4e760f333fcfcd61d255f61a.JPGIMG_0151.thumb.JPG.197652461a972201bc51b5c3a367ae47.JPG

I don't think I need to redesign, just be more careful when removing the supports....

Two steps forward and one step back... {chuckle}

So 3D printing will work for this scale.... As long as your careful in cleaning them.... I may have to thicken the aft end walls a bit but that is ok, I have proof of concept...

More later, right now I need some sleep....

Onwards...

EG

Quote:

Another update....

SUCCESS!!!

One complete printing!

IMG_0152.thumb.JPG.ed63641e5da75b19a21b18606036f028.JPGIMG_0154.thumb.JPG.eb095c9cc77c8e945282c686f1828424.JPGIMG_0153.thumb.JPG.52c40d4542d4f0cd854a6c41251b15b7.JPG

Yay team! Now I get to create the M-2 Transportation Dolly for it so I have a place to put it once assembled... This test piece is a good example for testing the Dolly...

One builds the other....

Onwards!!!

Quote:

That is quite an impressive achievement and as the entire process was documented there should be no claims that since it was 3D printed that somehow it was easier than "scratch building" using traditional modeling methods. I have no doubt that this is far and away beyond anything I could or ever will be personally able to master let alone as a "First" 3D design/build. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Absolutely stunning. It's a fantastic demonstration of the capabilities of 3D modelling and printing. The log shows the underlying skills and effort that is required. It's definitely not a short cut to excellent results. It's the modern equivalent of spending hours with a jewellers lathe and micrometers after days at the drawing board

phenomenal

Alan

15 hours ago, lmagna said:

That is quite an impressive achievement and as the entire process was documented there should be no claims that since it was 3D printed that somehow it was easier than "scratch building" using traditional modeling methods. I have no doubt that this is far and away beyond anything I could or ever will be personally able to master let alone as a "First" 3D design/build. 

Thank you very much Lou, it does get faster the more you get into it... The first five pieces took five revisions over five weeks, the last four pieces took one revision over three days... (including time to learn to actually print something correctly on the first five) It's a lot easier than scratchbuilding I can vouch for that... In scratchbuilding you have to build to scale which adds to the complexity...

Also I'm not without some experience brother having graduated from machine school where they extensively taught us to draw and read blueprints that's a big help in understanding what's going on... (but not really needed) I'm sure given time you could do it as well as anyone... It's the perfect medium for turning your "mind's eye" into reality within scale/printer limitations..

Quote:

3 hours ago, king derelict said:

Absolutely stunning. It's a fantastic demonstration of the capabilities of 3D modelling and printing. The log shows the underlying skills and effort that is required. It's definitely not a short cut to excellent results. It's the modern equivalent of spending hours with a jewellers lathe and micrometers after days at the drawing board

phenomenal

Alan

Thank you Alan,  Yeah it was an enjoyable side trip, I learned a lot and refreshed how to go about doing scale.... It's a tool and a very useful one I might add... Although I can already see some areas where it wouldn't be the best tool for the job... It does replicate fine detail well, something once understood anyone can do if they are willing to learn it... It's not hard...

The transportation dolly is something better made from plastic rather than resin, but I will be designing it in SW so I can get the parts correct before I start cutting plastic... SW will save a lot of mis-cutting and recalculations in creating the scratchbuilt scaled version...

Just about finished with the research on it, will be posting some of it in a while... All I have is some fuzzy images and a couple of TM illustrations of what one looks like... (and a lot of variations when in actual field use) so I have a bit of license in designing it to fit the engine... Anyway will post what I have soon and maybe give my friends an idea of how we go from a few fuzzy images to an accurately scaled model that fits what and where it is supposed to...

I'm finding that I'm actually enjoying this part.... It gets easier as we go, don't know why I didn't start using software for design years ago...

EG

Quote:

Very impressive model, EG.  It's amazing how well 3d modeling works and in future, I'm sure the programs/apps will improve even more along with the printing process.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Are you intending to create the lines and hoses around the compressor and engine body, or just use wire etc?

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thank you Mark.... It is much much appreciated...

It does work well once you figure it out... I'm only at the basic stage right now but I can get it done, and it is going faster as I gain more experience both using SW and printing... Next up is the dolly to put the engine on when it is complete... I'll be using SW to design it, then scratchbuilding it conventionally... With the engine it was nice to have the tech manuals but this one will be done from  nothing but images... A true scratchbuilding scenario.... Going to see how it works from that angle...

The plan will be once the dolly is done, glue up the engine to check fit it in the dolly, then go back to the engine and combine it into a single model and add the details and see if the printer will do a complete engine in one print....

Yeah, ambitious I know, but we will see what the capabilities of this printer actually is... This is turning out to be quite the learning experience... {chuckle}

EG

Quote:

21 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Are you intending to create the lines and hoses around the compressor and engine body, or just use wire etc?

Yes Lou, I'm going to add the details, but at 1/32 scale they will be integral to the model, they are just too small to be printed separately... If I do decide to build a bigger one, (1/16th scale) I will make them separate or design them to be added with wire and the like... At least that is the plan at this moment...

Quote:

Ok continuing on with the plan, The engine needs something to sit on when displayed next to the aircraft.... (and a note to the boat builders, the J-47 is the engine used to power the unlimited hydroplanes when the jet era started, if your doing a Miss Budweiser or a Miss Pay n Pak or an Atlas Van Lines in 1/32nd scale, this is your ticket... I got a private question on how this applies to boat and ship building... The J-47 was used in a LOT of applications boat racing was one of them)

The only drawings I have of the M-2 Transportation Dolly comes from the J-47 Tech manual...

Empty...

5aKv8dK.jpg.e6f9a73937d498028ac60f1683858b6e.jpg

Loaded..

651606599_M-2Transportationstand.png.2a6488c2b5a4463c8d0ff3155c19820f.png

The angle brackets you see in the unloaded image are the forward mounts... In the loaded image toy see them bolted to the engine and the circular frame and serve to hold the upper portion of the frame to the engine... The aft end of the Dolly uses the engines native motor mounts, A spherical roller bearing assembly used to slide the engine into the airframe once it is lined up...

1991973612_TO1F-86F-2MaintenanceInstructionsF-86FAircraft1954.png.bd06cb5ddd7c54ed2870d0726256ad7e.png

The dolly makes use of those mounts for quickly mounting to the dolly, drop the engine into the aft mount then line up the forward bolt holes with the forward frame and you can release the engine... (interesting to note that the J-47 in the F-86 only had three mounting points, two in the center of the engine on the sides at the aft compressor frame and one top mount at the forward compressor frame... Wasn't much holding it in there)

Anyway real life images....

Museum...

z0LtRUH.jpg.4b53b731c97fbbaf4526bf9422bf6fdb.jpg

In the field...

140730-Z-CH590-004.jpg.688dd705fb9ec40775eed8b3c6c04c20.jpg1197589186_SquadronSignalWalkAround21F-86SabresengCropped.thumb.jpg.d9e0a8522b56599c80ddd401d8337190.jpg1717560214_SquadronSignalWalkAround2102F-86Sabreseng.png.ff3585fd60eff8e708b638a8058e4d9a.png

The upper brackets were designed to allow the engine to be spun around it's axis for maintenance access to the various sections of the engine, but as we can easily see were seldom installed in the field.... The Dolly was used to move the engine from the removal area to the packing area for shipping to Japan for IRAN where they would be returned to the forward field once done... (a lot cheaper than shipping them all the way back to the states)

So those are the images I have to work with... With the engine intake diameter at 36.75 inches, I should be able to scale the image and take measurements...

Onwards....

EG

Quote:

Just a short update in the Dolly Progress....

IMG_0154A.thumb.png.f55d02f935bf8407068e9a354fb39528.png

Now comes the most difficult part of all, figuring out the motor mounts.....

I'm not going to do the upper halves of the rings, They didn't use them in the field so I won't be using them either...

Onwards...

Quote:

Short update....

Forward Mounts complete...

IMG_0154B.thumb.png.eadb5ace5ccab52e04cb3f00fec3a2cd.pngIMG_0154C.thumb.png.c2988edfe8c007c8963906b16c60fee6.png

The front compressor frame took the color of the frame when it was imported...  Working on the Aft Mounts now... once those are done I'll be figuring out how to model it...

Onwards....

Quote:

Update...

Well, the Rear Mounts are done... I loaded the rest of the compressor to check fit.... (and it turned yellow as well)

IMG_0154D.thumb.png.348ed28c42bb45c255b080cb0e814b34.pngIMG_0154E.thumb.png.bdaf374b71ee81ea453d5bb75eccc6df.png

But the design of the Transport Dolly is complete....

IMG_0154F.thumb.png.e7c4d2b8ba3b98a90393ebf9cc599dfb.png

Lets see how she stacks up against the real thing, (pic taken at Suwon Korea '52or 3'ish)

IMG_0154G.thumb.jpg.24f0ec3bc8a63c5eb2f545084c5fb916.jpg

A bit overexposed...  {chuckle} And below... IMG_0154H.thumb.png.2b0b1ed9fd86dce878333df371d12792.png

....the mated assembly in SW......

I think I've got it, now to figure out how to build it....

Anyway, Moving forward, a bit slow but still making progress...

EG

IMG_0154I.png

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Ok Brothers, Finally! back to hacking some plastic....

One M-2 Transportations Dolly for a J-47GE-27....

IMG_0154F.thumb.png.6541fbcf8b0188a7456a12126955c8a8.png

Now in 1/32nd scale that 4" tube frame measures up to 1/8th inch.... the 12" tires measure 3/8ths inch and the 1/2 inch plate measures 1/64th inch.... so I have to figure out a way to represent it with real world materials...

We start with the wheels using evergreen styrene tubes....

IMG_0156.thumb.JPG.04553bf2c2aad0729b33d65ac7307245.JPG

The outer tube is 3/8ths, the inner tube is 1/8th the sequence is 3/8ths, 5/16ths, 1/4, 3/16ths to 1/8th with a 1/16th brass rod to serve as the axel.... The first step is the three outer tubes to make the tires... Now I didn't have any 5/16ths tube for the first step so what I did was make some to fit...

IMG_0157.thumb.JPG.c3ef8a5513d7213021ac4de1e8ed8fce.JPG

taking a section of 3/8ths, we cut a chunk out of the sidewall....

IMG_0158.thumb.JPG.35c48c90d53c0352bd2ab6a265b99308.JPG

We then use a file to smooth and enlarge the gap and make them parallel...IMG_0159.thumb.JPG.d0efa529d78584bf282a215ecab7935e.JPG

IMG_0161.thumb.JPG.fb457be1d351de6bba88842d96a7c6cb.JPG

You keep at this until the gap is wide enough so when pinched together they will slide into the 3/8th tube...

IMG_0162.thumb.JPG.c94780c9d994aaeb7f6a7ef11fcf9ff5.JPG

This was a tight press fit.. The wall thickness of the tubes is 1/32nd inch representing 1" in real life so each tube is a 2" step down, three steps down and your looking at a scale 6" sidewall for a 6" hub.... When glued together and cut to length, three 12" tires in 1/32nd scale....IMG_0163.thumb.JPG.17bd76e8979fdbf58694dd71cd8a286c.JPG

Next up, the hubs.....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Another short update, putting hubs in the wheels...

Using the same process to build up the tires, you build up the hubs using 1/4" & 3/16ths" tube, then cut them off at 1/3rd the length of the tires...

IMG_0164.thumb.JPG.5aad279ddbd145105ba0703dcc6d3009.JPG

Now the secret to this is you don't clean the edges, you leave the rough sawn edge for the next step..

IMG_0165.thumb.JPG.df33ff5b7b80b96cfa00f87b24488670.JPG

Insert one of the hubs into one of the tires, the rough edges don't stop it from going into the tire and provides a bit of friction to hold the hub in place...

IMG_0166.thumb.JPG.3313941bdbec48da80f290b84cae49ab.JPG

Flip it over and push the hub down a bit, just enough to create a relief from the hub to the tire, checking on the back side that there is a similar relief, then touch it with a bit of plastic cement to lock it in place...

IMG_0167.thumb.JPG.eeb4e173d68ef69c5fb735af34e34549.JPG

Repeat for the others and your done, ready for fill and paint...

IMG_0168.thumb.JPG.49542d6738c338fd0e2dd44816ff0c9d.JPG

Now that wasn't too hard....

Next up the steering head....

Onwards..

Quote:

Well, I was intending to have an update showing a completed steering yoke... Unfortunately, I found that I didn't have the right materials to build this in scale... So, I redesigned it to use the materials I have on hand... .020 & .010 Sheet Styrene... This Dolly was built using 1/2" & 1/4" plate steel and 4" tube... 1/2" in scale is 1/64" or .015"... Yes, Evergreen makes .015 sheet plastic I just don't have any and no one stocks it around here... .020 approximates 5/8ths inch and .010 approximates 5/16ths inch... 

So I rebuilt it in 5/8ths & 5/16ths steel... I don't think anyone is going to notice the difference...

IMG_0168A.thumb.png.b4b692e3793825645d0acd393686ebb1.png

I also added the bump stop at the rear and the accessories box at the front to make it complete....

With the engine at 5/8th steel...

IMG_0168B.thumb.png.ac8a893567a296ea41732b5542856516.png

So I'm ready to start the steering yoke now...

screenshot_301.thumb.png.c187231bc6ea4bc2bcf4939f1eb5bb3c.png

A you can see it's a rather simple affair, mostly flat plates... 

So lets see if this can be built...

Onwards....

EG

Quote:

Hi Egilman,

Your dolly sure looks the part! Is there any reason why you are not printing it instead of scratching it? Just curious as i'm no expert on 3d printing.

One other thing, as per pic below, I notice there is a 'plate' between the compressor section and the combustion chambers, assume it was to mount the engine correctly in the fuselage?

image.thumb.jpeg.20bf373913bb0b6ba2b5c391b78dcc14.jpeg

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."

Short update my friends...

Steering yoke starts out as a rod attached to a plate......

IMG_0170.thumb.JPG.bc066338c90277913cf18553297a7a9a.JPG

We then add some legs...

IMG_0171.thumb.JPG.19d6019ffd62e4c2212eda1246d517a9.JPG

And then the drawbar straps...

IMG_0172.thumb.JPG.f76b1b8e1d289e6249cb4fc453b3ce2a.JPGIMG_0173.thumb.JPG.d65cd02118cff1d19885f5090b0bca75.JPG

That makes a steering yoke... pretty simple wasn't it...

Tomorrow, once this cures well, paint and final assembly....

Onwards...

{psst}.. I built the drawbar as well only three pieces so it didn't take long...

IMG_0174.JPG

Quote:

16 minutes ago, Jolley Roger said:

Hi Egilman,

Your dolly sure looks the part! Is there any reason why you are not printing it instead of scratching it? Just curious as i'm no expert on 3d printing.

One other thing, as per pic below, I notice there is a 'plate' between the compressor section and the combustion chambers, assume it was to mount the engine correctly in the fuselage?

Thank you Roger! I was trying to make it look real....

I'm not printing it cause it is nothing but a mass of plates and tubes and styrene is stronger and more forgiving than resin... (and in some ways easier to work with) Resin is very brittle when cured, Plastic is frustration safer in this application...

THANK YOU FOR THAT PIC!!! It's one I didn't have and confirmed one of my guesses, the location of the rear wheels in relation to the cross bar... I guessed correctly...

That panel you are pointing out is a bolted on firewall, it is part of the airplane and will be removed to be installed on the replacement engine... It extends the engine's firewall to the outer frames of the airplane....

Swapping one of these was just like swapping an engine in a car, some parts stay with the vehicle and some go with the powerplant...

Quote:

Thank you for all the likes brothers... This was my first attempt to build this... Not good....

IMG_0175.thumb.JPG.72368c722ca94cdb9f362a5d8d42aa96.JPG

I've ordered better materials and will take another shot at it after they arrive, I've also ordered a Chopper II, going to be much easier to cut accurate parts with it than by eye....

This is a lot more technical than I though it was going to be....

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote: