J-47GE-27 Turbojet drawn in Solidworks then eventually 3D printed at 1/32nd scale...

A suitably impressive build!  

I've been working on some basic 3D modeling for details going on my HMCS Bonaventure model in 1/96, and I am far from having the level of skill that you display here.  

I'm also working with a filament printer not a resin one, so our build processes are slightly different.

I think I might have to mock up a 1/96 scale engine and cart for my Banshees and Trackers!  

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

Looking good, EG. Been out and about, missing this discussion. Engine and dolly look the part. Cripes, I remember when all the support equipment, referred to as Aerospace Ground Equipment or AGE, was that yellow. Well done.

You may need to insert brass pins in your plastic joints. And maybe use MEK to weld the parts. Just sayin'.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

On 6/10/2022 at 11:49 AM, NavyShooter said:

A suitably impressive build!  

I've been working on some basic 3D modeling for details going on my HMCS Bonaventure model in 1/96, and I am far from having the level of skill that you display here.  

I'm also working with a filament printer not a resin one, so our build processes are slightly different.

I think I might have to mock up a 1/96 scale engine and cart for my Banshees and Trackers!  

Cripes a Mighty! 1/96th? a third the size of this one.... Yep, they do have their different challenges don't they....  Me, I'm still getting used to doing this in software, all my previous experience was with pencils and paper....

Thank you very much for the compliment... It's appreciated...

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

4 hours ago, Canute said:

Looking good, EG. Been out and about, missing this discussion. Engine and dolly look the part. Cripes, I remember when all the support equipment, referred to as Aerospace Ground Equipment or AGE, was that yellow. Well done.

You may need to insert brass pins in your plastic joints. And maybe use MEK to weld the parts. Just sayin'.

Hey brother... Thank you... yeah I'm not quite sure when that yellow went away but for a while there it was the dujure color for maintenance equipment, Model Masters Chrome Yellow works very well in replicating it...

I already use MEK for stuff that has to remain glued (only thing I use on polystyrene) and I have a roll of .040 soft brass wire I'm intending for the axels, soft brass cause I can cut it with a saw squarely where nippers usually leave a chisel edge on the part...

While I'm wating for the supplies to come in I've been thinking about giving the printer a shot at it and see what it will really do with all the thin parts... how difficult they will be to clean.... and will they hold up to assembly.... But it will take a minor redesign to make it printable... Well I'm considering it.... {chuckle} It would make a good test of the resins capability though wouldn't it...

Anyway, it getting closer to the end now than the beginning, and I'm pleased with how it's come out so far.... Hopefully it will be nice sitting on the shelf next to the plane.......

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Well since I don't have much else I went ahead and redrew a few things and tried to 3D print the Dolly..... It did fail on the plate, but most of it printed...

Here is the results....

IMG_0176.thumb.JPG.6e093adac3b3f0752e1a5664eeb43a6d.JPG

You can see on the frame where it didn't completely print right where the tube bends towards the hitch.... And of course they are so thin just looking at them causes them to crack... Much less cleaning them... I got one wheel, (the other two were lost before printing finished) the drawbar which should be useable, the rest are not worth saving... the Steering yoke didn't make it past support removal it broke in half...

The parts are just too thin for resin and this is uncured resin, imagine what they would be like if they were cured first...

Conclusion, scratch building this is the way to go....

Quote:

Found you brother,  just read through  your amazing  work flow, I know I said it before  - but its amazing what  you are doing  - takes  certain skills  to  do both of  these areas  and you are  excellent at both   - keep it going  brother.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Too bad these printing resins are so brittle. The old resins they cast kits back in 80s were like that. Like peanut brittle. I think they were polyester resins. the stuff the use now is much easier to work, but then they are cast parts. They call it styrourethane and it glues up with CA.

I think it was mid 70s when the yellow gear went to camo.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

On 6/11/2022 at 5:41 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Found you brother,  just read through  your amazing  work flow, I know I said it before  - but its amazing what  you are doing  - takes  certain skills  to  do both of  these areas  and you are  excellent at both   - keep it going  brother.

OC.

Hi OC, Welcome to the thread my friend... I'm going to finish this, not meaning to make a production of it but it is what it is... This has turned into a bit of a discovery trip for me especially with the printing part...  Amazing, is what the printer can actually do...  I went ahead and did another print of the dolly parts... Just to see if a different arrangement of the parts on the build plate makes a difference... Me I'm just an amateur learning a new thing... Using skills I haven't used in over a decade...  And I'm getting into it.... It's actually fun to see this work.... Be posting the second print results shortly...

Thank you for the complements brother they really do mean a lot... I only hope my reporting on the process helps others down the road...

Quote:

On 6/11/2022 at 5:51 PM, Canute said:

Too bad these printing resins are so brittle. The old resins they cast kits back in 80s were like that. Like peanut brittle. I think they were polyester resins. the stuff the use now is much easier to work, but then they are cast parts. They call it styrourethane and it glues up with CA.

I think it was mid 70s when the yellow gear went to camo.

Yeah, they aren't the strongest thing when really thin, they do reproduce fine details well, but as a finish thing, not something to be built on... So we adjust the design to incorporate this... I replaced the drawbar in the plastic yoke with the resin one it fits beautifully and the wheel that came out is absolutely gorgeous, so I got the idea of another shot, at least get another couple of wheels out of it since they are so gorgeous....

IMG_0178.thumb.JPG.265e2a7f84d58b484b4ddcd6cde8b2d1.JPG

I did another print of the dolly, I think it came out much better... The supports are way to weak to hold the bulk of the engine, but I'm going to try to assemble it anyway as an exemplar of what 3D printing can actually do... (all the parts are there and not deformed) I think it's a good test for comparing the results against my scratch building techniques... It does have to hold a relatively  massive engine even in scale....

It's fresh out of the bath and drying right now... Will post in a few when I get the parts cleaned of supports and then after I paint & assemble it... If I don't screw it up, it will validate the design even if it can't support the engine.... Still learning what works here....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

As Promised.... The reprint...

IMG_0179.thumb.JPG.2e477860a85b361713c41e4a7def2b29.JPG

It came out much better, but still not good...  as can be seen the yoke didn't print well and the forward engine frame didn't either...

IMG_0180.thumb.JPG.8b99161018ceca2c027dcbe65fdc871a.JPG

IMG_0181.thumb.JPG.22e68ec3f7af73a07bda9ef178172a02.JPG

The frame isn't warped but has some issues of incomplete printing but on the bottom at the crossmembers where it really won't be seen... I suppose this is right on the edge of printability or I just don't have the experience to know for sure yet... But getting closer... What does successfully print, prints very well, the parts fit together tight and smooth so the printer is dimensionally very accurate.... (allowing a thou or so for clearance in the design, except for the holes, they need to be drilled out to fit the axels)

So going forward,

1. I have the tires printed well and are solid so I don't need to scratch them...

2. The yoke will have to be scratched, it just doesn't want to print...

3. I guess the frame is something I'm going to have to decide on, it will depend on if I can get the already built yoke to fit the neck and see if the axel holes survive the drilling out fitting process...

IMG_0182.thumb.JPG.bf5889eb6276a7f6ddcc523563dd84d5.JPG

I guess that answers that question...

4. The frame supports look good, I'll probably save them and try to fit them to the scratch frame...

5. The engine supports are way too fragile to support the weight of the engine, they will have to be scratch just for the strength alone...

But it is nice to see that the printer can support that level of fine detail printing...

Quote:

Too bad Solidwork isn't cheaper or I would get it. Went to their website to check it out. EAA has removed the amazing discount link they used to have.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I'm just curious, EG.   Will the engine be just set into place or glued in?   With gluing, the engine would help to spread and secure the weight sort of like the way the aircraft body supports the weight of everything.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Too bad Solidwork isn't cheaper or I would get it. Went to their website to check it out. EAA has removed the amazing discount link they used to have.

I think too many people were taking advantage to do commercial work with it and avoiding the commercial price tag... It was a great offer and as typical when you are one of the best and make a deal like that it's too good for the cheapskates to pass up.... Costs everyone....

It's hard to beat for doing this kind of modeling...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I'm just curious, EG.   Will the engine be just set into place or glued in?   With gluing, the engine would help to spread and secure the weight sort of like the way the aircraft body supports the weight of everything.  

Hi Mark, The plan is to build it as a set upon piece, if I glue them together then the supports will have to take all the weight of the engine when it is moved around, by making it a separate piece I can design some tolerance into it so the supports will not have to control the weight of the engine, it will have some give to it...

The challenge is the front support, the aft support is already a drop in with a cap on the real thing, the forward one is bolted on angle plates...

The aft is handled by the simple expedient of making a hole through the aft compressor frame centered on the side engine mounts t accept a 1/16th brass rod that will drop into the mounts on the dolly... 

Can't do that with the front mount as it would look completely wrong so what I'm thinking is a pin on the plates that will fit into the middle of the mount on the forward compressor frame.. What would result is like a drop in cartridge, angle the forward end down and slip it over the front mount then drop the aft end into it's slot mount... Mechanically it's a sound design, the issue is can it be done in plastic or should I invest in some .015" brass or copper sheet to make the supports... (figuring out how to solder them is going to be a trip) 

Anyway still working out the details.... Playing with the resin version right now to see how it's going to look...

IMG_0183.thumb.JPG.aff61d24b53ed588b1bf8431d9445394.JPG

And yes the tow bar is moveable although the wheels probably won't rotate and the yoke locked itself in place as soon as I inserted it....

This may turn out fairly passable as long as the engine supports are strong enough...

Anyway, that is the current direction I'm taking... Engine separate from the dolly.....

EG

Quote:

Thanks for the explanation, EG.  Hopefully, you can get this sorted without ripping out your hair and indulging is strong drink (as WC Fields might say).  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Thanks for the explanation, EG.  Hopefully, you can get this sorted without ripping out your hair and indulging is strong drink (as WC Fields might say).  

My pleasure my friend... and I've been at this long enough to know there s always a solution or workaround...  Indulge in strong drink? Always...

Well I assembled what I have, what do you think? (all opinions are welcome)

IMG_0184.thumb.JPG.5db29627683b9580e949217dd30972ce.JPGIMG_0185.thumb.JPG.f2b917c6c221a99b2f03e035e151dab4.JPG

The support frames are only placed, not glued yet...

It passes, but is not the greatest thing I've done...

Quote:

I think you have done an amazing job  brother   and  you are  finding out the  different  adjustments  as  you  move along  - its  a  sign of commitment  on  your shoulders  - Hats off  to you brother  - but also  Thank you  for  all you do.

I was  thinking  (what also  made my Grey  matter  churn)  was  the resin  figures  I have  been sent  for my dio  -  the resin material  is deffinatley  Brittle  It snaps  away  (sometines in the wrong place)   is there no way of using a more  pliable  plastic  based resin that is not as brittle  with slightly more  flex in it?     sorry  if its a Supid question  - I dont know  enough  about how 3D  resin  works.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I'm wondering the same thing as OC about the resin.  Is it possible to increase the cross-sections of the parts a bit ?  May not be 100% scale but I'm thinking strength at this point.   The new one you just posted does look great.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

14 hours ago, Egilman said:

It passes, but is not the greatest thing I've done...

Looks fine on a 17" screen blown up. I can't think that it would have any issues holding the engine, (Unless you intend to play with it like I would have done as a kid). In addition most of it would disappear under the engine.

In my case, as it appears that I am totally unable to even grasp the computer skills required to 3D print, I would have had to make it from brass tubing, sheet and rod. A skill I do still possess thankfully. But it would have been a cart without an engine as I could never have made the engine! The real masterpiece. Congratulations.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 6/13/2022 at 8:34 PM, FriedClams said:

Beautiful work EG, thanks for walking us through the process. Very interesting log.

Gary

Thanks Gary coming from you it's really appreciated.... My pleasure on showing the process, someone has to show it, it's a good modeling process especially for producing fine details... (once you get past the learning curve that is) More is coming, it's not over yet.... there are a slew of details I need to add to the engine pieces before I can say it's done...

Thank you...

Quote:

On 6/13/2022 at 9:54 PM, Old Collingwood said:

I think you have done an amazing job  brother   and  you are  finding out the  different  adjustments  as  you  move along  - its  a  sign of commitment  on  your shoulders  - Hats off  to you brother  - but also  Thank you  for  all you do.

I was  thinking  (what also  made my Grey  matter  churn)  was  the resin  figures  I have  been sent  for my dio  -  the resin material  is deffinatley  Brittle  It snaps  away  (sometines in the wrong place)   is there no way of using a more  pliable  plastic  based resin that is not as brittle  with slightly more  flex in it?     sorry  if its a Supid question  - I dont know  enough  about how 3D  resin  works.

OC.

Thank you OC, illustrating the zigs and zags of the process is worth the effort.... There are different types of resins, some more pliable than others so no it isn't a stupid question. Basic resin is brittle especially after being cured so you have to pick and chose what your going to model with it... 100% resin works for some things but not for others... Especially not for structural parts, so I'm viewing this as a tool for making the fine details/small parts that need more detail... and scratching out plastic for those parts that need the strength and resiliency that styrene offers... 

Start doing the research brother...  I'm sure once you learn how it works you'll wonder why you didn't earlier...

Quote:

17 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I'm wondering the same thing as OC about the resin.  Is it possible to increase the cross-sections of the parts a bit ?  May not be 100% scale but I'm thinking strength at this point.   The new one you just posted does look great.

I could do that in a number of ways Mark, in fact I've already did such with the engine a bit to make it printable... I'm going to run with this one for now cause I need to get back to the engine then the airplane... But, I may go back at a later date and revise it again and see if I can get something completely printed that will work...

Thank you, it has been a learning experience...

Quote:

16 hours ago, lmagna said:

Looks fine on a 17" screen blown up. I can't think that it would have any issues holding the engine, (Unless you intend to play with it like I would have done as a kid). In addition most of it would disappear under the engine.

In my case, as it appears that I am totally unable to even grasp the computer skills required to 3D print, I would have had to make it from brass tubing, sheet and rod. A skill I do still possess thankfully. But it would have been a cart without an engine as I could never have made the engine! The real masterpiece. Congratulations.

I think your selling yourself short Lou, trust me if I can do this anyone can... It's just copying pictures and drawings onto a screen and having the software turn them into 3D... it really is just that simple... I mean the software takes a bit to learn but the process, once you understand it, is relatively simple...

As far as being a masterpiece? Thank you for the complement, but being a masterpiece remains to be seen, I still have to detail and reprint the engine yet, long way to go and I'm still learning the process... The complements are encouraging, and I thank you and everyone for them, but the final adjudication is yet to be seen...

We are getting there, slowly but surely....

IMG_0186.thumb.JPG.b105c722a3ef30a2c7243824507fd820.JPG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

I have tried several times to figure out how to start designing and have come to the conclusion that my prior skill sets don't come anywhere close to covering writing programs for this tool to operate properly. I have resigned myself to either possibly just using files produced by others or getting some one-on-one instruction from someone who knows something about it. I am presently heavily involved with RL matters that could occupy several months or possibly even longer, but when that settles down, I do hope to be able to devote more time and effort.

Meanwhile I will continue to follow works like yours and others here and wish.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 6/15/2022 at 9:01 AM, lmagna said:

I have tried several times to figure out how to start designing and have come to the conclusion that my prior skill sets don't come anywhere close to covering writing programs for this tool to operate properly. I have resigned myself to either possibly just using files produced by others or getting some one-on-one instruction from someone who knows something about it. I am presently heavily involved with RL matters that could occupy several months or possibly even longer, but when that settles down, I do hope to be able to devote more time and effort.

Meanwhile I will continue to follow works like yours and others here and wish.

Well, RL always takes precedence my friend, that is just how it is... we all know that... Downloading files is good to learn how to print but I'm sure you know the greatest use is to create your own...

What I'm thinking on doing is loading up the free version of sketchup and throwing together some simple shapes in SU to get the program usage and ideals of 3D from 2D revealed plainly for all to see... Then maybe a little bit of the reverse engineering techniques of taking a picture and creating a model...

Getting the explanations of how it is done out there for everyone to see with the basics of technical drawing is all it takes... It is not hard... The main problem is everyone wants to design and model that supercar or that airliner... People can learn that way, but I have always found that a simple bushing or alphabet block shows the techniques and communicates the vision of converting 2D into 3D much better, the rest of it is just common sense... Would that help?

Thank you for following my friend, such is always appreciated...

EG

Quote:

Short update...

Modeling the front engine support....

First off we need the half ring....

IMG_0187.thumb.JPG.7658854e53c75f3350dfc2837842c017.JPG

Using the chopper, I cut it in half.... then set about building up the engine supports....

IMG_0188.thumb.JPG.9494d811864e14ceb9e60ffa30af6e0e.JPG

And finally, testing it against the resin forward compressor frame test piece...

IMG_0189.thumb.JPG.d40b33cad5c11db8fbe258b1a65b6d38.JPG

It Works!!!

Although I will probably have to glue it cause there just isn't enough strength to hold it in place...  Anyway, we are moving forward slowly but surely...

On to the Aft support which should be easier......

EG

Quote:

Your engine stand is looking the real deal, brother. These prints are great for prototyping; the skills for many of us in scratchbuilding in styrene or brass are lacking. Many model railroaders are collectors of ready made models, not builders anymore. Those of us who do build are sometimes talked about as if we were practicing magic. We learn by doing, as you are so eloquently showing us. Thanks.

Ken

Strange things do happen..... Well, SW is available at 99/year or 9.99/month. 

SolidWorks link here.

Considering to try it out.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

23 hours ago, Canute said:

Your engine stand is looking the real deal, brother. These prints are great for prototyping; the skills for many of us in scratchbuilding in styrene or brass are lacking. Many model railroaders are collectors of ready made models, not builders anymore. Those of us who do build are sometimes talked about as if we were practicing magic. We learn by doing, as you are so eloquently showing us. Thanks.

Thanks Very much Ken...  And Scratch Building is becoming a lost art in a way... Making your own parts by hand is something the younger crowd doesn't seem to be into anymore...

I love to show the techniques and learn as many more as I can... If I can pass it on that's a bonus...

Quote: