Rope and rigging blocks - various sizes - Syren Model Ship Company

Rope and rigging blocks - various sizes
Syren Model Ship Company

Available from Syren

DSC_0619.jpg

I had a little package arrive from across the pond last week, from Syren. This bubble pack envelope took just six days to land with me in the UK, which is quite astonishing as regular post items from the US can usually take over two weeks, if lucky. This pack contains both rope and blocks from Syren's new range -  Ultra Scale Rope and Boxwood Blocks.

Ultra Scale Rope

These ropes are poly-cotton and tightly laid, yet remain beautifully supple to handle. You also won't have any problems with kinks etc. I've had a play with both the thickest and thinnest of these and absolutely love them. The colour of all these samples is tan, which is suitable for all of your running rig requirements and the shade looks great for this purpose. These are all delightfully fuzz-free too. I hate fuzzy line as it really zaps enthusiasm in the latter stages of a project, so if you are in need of replacing your kit ropes, then this is ideal. Syren also produce these in dark brown to represent Stockholm tar for standing rig. Each pack, except the 2mm and 2.4mm, contains 20' of rope, which equates to around 6.1 metres in metric. Those thicker ones contain 9' (2.7 metres). Here are the photos of each packet, complete with a close-up of the rope so you can see the quality for yourself:

DSC_0668.jpg

DSC_0669.jpg

DSC_0670.jpg

DSC_0671.jpg

DSC_0672.jpg

DSC_0673.jpg

DSC_0674.jpg

DSC_0675.jpg

DSC_0676.jpg

DSC_0677.jpg

DSC_0678.jpg

DSC_0679.jpg

DSC_0680.jpg

DSC_0681.jpg

Boxwood Blocks

Syren's boxwood blocks are a very nice, milky brown colour and consistent throughout each pack I've been sent. All blocks are CNC-produced and DSC_0682.jpg

DSC_0684.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

DSC_0685.jpg

DSC_0686.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

DSC_0687.jpg

DSC_0688.jpg

DSC_0689.jpg

DSC_0690.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

DSC_0692.jpg

DSC_0693.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

Syren also supply blocks in pear. Again, these are made using the same production method and look great. All of these close-up pics are via my iPhone so please excuse any problems with definition. 

IMG_0251.jpg

Syren can also produce blocks in black hornbeam to simulate tarring etc. These are some samples that Chuck put in the packet. It's so difficult to photograph black on white so I hope these look ok to you. In reality, they are beautiful rigging blocks and I will definitely find a use for these eventually. 

DSC_0691.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

We have some wonderful vendors who support MSW, with Syren being one of them.

If you are in the market for any of these products, then them out and tell them you saw this topic here on MSW. If you check out their web page, you'll see that other types of blocks are available as well as the singles and doubles you see here, such as open and closed hearts, fiddles, and internally strapped single sheave bocks. A few of these products are assembly type, but all produced from the same grade of boxwood you see here.

Sincere thanks to Syren for the sample packs you see here on MSW.

I just placed an order with Chuck early this morning. and a wood order the Joe Volpe of The Woodsmans Shed. For Chuck it was blocks and deadeyes, from Joe who is also member here Alaskan Yellow Cedar. Still have more to order but need the money first. They both produce some very high quality materials. You won't be disappointed.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

To give you an idea of how good Chuck really is, I ordered at a little after mid-night, and just received notification that my order shipped.👍

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

I aim to please....Just sold out of 3/16" single blocks since James posted.  Not to worry.  I will make more tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Oldsalt1950 said:

To give you an idea of how good Chuck really is, I ordered at a little after mid-night, and just received notification that my order shipped.👍

Well I placed an order with Chuck this morning and received the order last week 😉

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Druxey, Chuck's ecivres   (and yes it took me more than a few sdnoces to figure out the word) is fantastic but I think Greg has a Wabac machine!!!    I want to take a ride to about 1720 and visit a few shipyards if it is for rent.  

image.jpeg.de082ba036e88db142a8d35e78101852.jpeg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU