Today, I just received my copy of Ancre's monograph of the cutter Le Cerf, 1779-1780.

post-693-0-76094300-1376178029.jpg

It's a great product, but I really want to point out here is that if you live in the U.S., I strongly advise you to pay the extra money to order by a trackable express shipping service. I first place an order for this product on March of this year. Figuring it might take 4 or 5 weeks to get, I waited a couple months and nothing showed up, so I emailed them. 

I didn't hear anything back, so I posted on the Seaways mail list asking what other people's experiences were with ordering from Ancre. Next thing I know, I got an email from Ancre asking how they could help. He immediately shipped the product to me and all was looking well.

Then, 4 weeks went by and 6 weeks. As the 8th week was approaching, I wrote again. Mr. Didier Berti (Hubert Berti, his father, had passed away in the Spring) offered to reship it by express service if I wanted to pay the cost and I was very happy to spend the extra money this time. 

So, today, the book shows up at my home in California, a mere 4 days after it was shipped from France. I have the product, an excellent product by the way, and all is well.

Maybe shipping to other parts of the U.S. will have better luck, but for shipping to the west coast I STRONGLY advise you to pay the extra chunk of cash to order via trackable, express shipping. Anyway, you're going to want your Ancre orders quickly so you can enjoy the amazing quality of their products right away.

Ancre - Collection Archéologique Navale

At last, another happy Ancre book owner.

Clare

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

I ordered The Art of Modelism (Spanish version) from them. The book I received came in an unacceptable condition (apparently used). I emailed them sending some photos, and a second brand new book was received within a few days, no question asked, no returning of bad book asked.

This has been my experience with ANCRE. Kudos.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 2 months later...

On a different note on ordering products from Ancre Books, a friend and fellow ship modeler followed up my discussions of the new book I bought from Ancre by ordering a copy of fourth book in the 74-gun Ship series. He had the first 3 books and just needed the fourth.

When he received his order, he discovered that he'd been sent the entire series instead of just the one book he needed. He only got charged for the book he ordered.

So, if anyone in the U.S. is interested in getting 3 of the 4 books. Let me know and I'll pass the word. He's looking at selling the books and sending the money to Ancre. The books are brand new and cost around $300, but you'll end up saving a bundle on the shipping since it's all domestic shipping.

Clare

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

• 2 months later...

I just thought it important to post this as added information is always important when considering a purchase of this magnitude.

I've been fence sitting on the ANCRE monography of Le Requin for a bit of time and this thread caused me to pause when ordering. I was also wanting to order Frolich's text but the pricing between standard (6%) shipping and colossimo was $16 versus $66.

I bit the bullet and ordered standard shipping, which is stated to be 2 to 5 weeks. This allowed me to purchase the Frolich text rather then spend on shipping. The order was made on Dec 14 and I planned on waiting until Jan 30 before worrying. Well Saturday I went to the mail box, exactly 2 weeks (Dec 28th) after order and the package was there.

I have read that Herbert BERTI has passed away this past year and his son Didier is now handling deliveries. This may have been a cause for mailing issues during this transition period. I contacted Didier twice by email and his response time was under 24 hours each time. The package arrived in 2 weeks without paying extra and the package was packed VERY well. I really don't see how it could have been damaged as packed, unless it was with intent to do so (the so called USPS, going postal). A nearly 5000 mile trip with no problems, in the height of holiday mail traffic and it still arrived on the minimum 2 week delivery time.

The Le Requin monographies and Frolich text are amazing and I would recommend ordering without worry of disappointment.

Edited by themadchemist

I have ordered a number of books from Ancre over he past several years. The service, packaging and condition of the books has been excellent on all occasions.

Ed

For those of you who are still a bit worried about ordering directly from Ancre you might want to try the Nautical Mind Bookstore in Toronto, Canada. They carry most of not all of the Ancre books. Their pricing is very competative and their service is great. You can actually speak with someone on the phone too.

Sam

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

There is no question about the quality of the books sold by ANCRE.

Shipping service may be inefficient.

I bought n. 1 volume of 74-guns, The Art of Modelism, and Cavalier della salle, and arrived in 7-8 days from the payment.

I bought The Cigne last days of July and it arrived in November.

I wrote Mr Didier Berti and He said me that ordinary postal service from France to Italy in summertime, is very slow.

I believe that it is true, expecially for italian postal service.

current build:   USS Constitution cross section - U.S. Navy Frigate 1797

For those of you who are still a bit worried about ordering directly from Ancre you might want to try the Nautical Mind Bookstore in Toronto, Canada. They carry most of not all of the Ancre books. Their pricing is very competative and their service is great. You can actually speak with someone on the phone too.

Sam

Sam,

Do you have a link?  Might be worthwhile to post it in the Important Links area also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Don,

What ship or ships or type of ships interest you?  All the monographs are highly detailed and you can build to any level you like.  There is a caveat in that some monographs do NOT have frame drawings.  These would need to be lofted.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Don,

La Belle and the Le Gros Ventre both have full frame drawings and could be good targets for you.  They could also be build POB.  La Jacinthe is also a nice model - that is designed as a POB build as it doesn't have frame drawings.  You could loft those if need be.

You won't be disappointed with any of them.

Take care,

Chris

Mark,   Here's the link and info:   The Nautical Mind Bookstore Marine Booksellers & Chart Agents
www.nauticalmind.com/‎
  •  
  •  

The Nautical Mind stocks more than 3000 current book titles, boating videos, marine charts, and nautical software.

249 Queens Quay W, Toronto, ON M5J 2N5, Canada
(800) 463-9951

Sam

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

Andy,  Dooohhhh..... you're right. post-76-0-99380100-1388609011.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 1 month later...

Ordered my copy of

The Art of Shipmodeling Bernard FRÖLICH

now.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes from france to norway

-Hans Christian

Current build

-La Belle 1684 (Scracth build)

-Oseberg (Billing Boats) (On hold)

-Falmouth (Euromodel) (On hold)

Best way to get their books. Fly to Paris and pick them up. While there go to several of the great museums that feature model ships. I found a lot of the books in several book stores. Used and new. I think that I brought back about 8 of them when my wife and I were there.

Here is a pic of one of the better ship book stores there. Of course it was several years ago.

The year before I had one of the books shipped to my wife's hotel. She and her mother had a great time.

Later Tim

post-557-0-21220300-1392001000_thumb.jpg

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Today I got my book  :piratetongueor4:

Only one problem.....

I got the french version!!!

I´ve sent them an email to get a replacement, hopfully they are as quick this time around.

But I must say,

This is a fantastic looking book, and so big!!!

For now I´m just studing the pictures, can´t wait to start reading this thing  :10_1_10:

I´m not suffring to much though.

Also got two other books today:

-The anatomy of Nelson´s ships, by Longridge

-Ship Modeling simplified, by Frank Mastini

-Hans Christian

Current build

They sure are quick down there in France  :D

Got a reply already saying they´ll ship my english book on monday!!

And I´ll get a refund for shipping the french book back.

I´m going to buy more from them soon I think ;)

Edited by Nenseth

-Hans Christian

Current build

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add my experience.I ordered Frolich's book and because Ancre does not do paypal and I don't 'do' credit cards there was an initial delay due to payment confirmation from the French bank.Three days after my order I received an email confirmation that my order was being shipped,then three days later I received the book!!!!The postal service is quicker than UK's royal mail!!!!!It is interesting the reference to the French version,as from the moment of ordering to receiving the book,I constantly kept asking myself 'now I did click on the box for the English version,didn't I?'I have only the greatest praise for Ancre's efficiency.My only sadness is I wish they would do a reprint of the l'Ambiteaux monograph,ideally in English,but I would muddle through the French version if needs must

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if its just me or does everybody have problems with the ancre.fr pages?

Sometimes they work, most times I keep getting error messages

-Hans Christian

Current build

I've seen it.  Try "compatibility mode" on your browser if using IE.  There might also be some other issues going on as well.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

To follow Hans,  Not only have they updated their website, and quite spectacularly I think.  Ancre now accepts Paypal!

Now that they have this fine new site up and running, lets hope they have some plans to release more books!

-Hans Christian

Current build

They changed it back to

ancre.fr

Not sure why they changed it in the first place

-Hans Christian

Current build