Helping Hands recomendations in the uk

Hello. I thought I might try one of these to help with rigging blocks and other jobs and just wondered if anyone is using these for rigging blocks etc and other jobs and perhaps ca recommend one for this type of work here in the uk. My only concern would be the strength of the magnets on the feet and are they strong enough to stop any movement. Best regards Dave.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Hi Dave,

I use the QuadHands as outlined here:

It looks like the QuadHands unit is available via Amazon UK, but is much more expensive.   To answer your question though, it is a VERY robust unit that does not move at all.   The magnets are very strong and the units anti-slip feet are quite good.  Its also pretty heavy so it can take some leverage without tipping or moving. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QuadHands-Deluxe-Workbench-Helping-System/dp/B01MZG2D99

21 minutes ago, Justin P. said:

Hi Dave,

I use the QuadHands as outlined here:

It looks like the QuadHands unit is available via Amazon UK, but is much more expensive.   To answer your question though, it is a VERY robust unit that does not move at all.   The magnets are very strong and the units anti-slip feet are quite good.  Its also pretty heavy so it can take some leverage without tipping or moving. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QuadHands-Deluxe-Workbench-Helping-System/dp/B01MZG2D99

Thank you Justine for your quick response. I have neen looking into the quadhands and had a look at your link and your way of doing the deadeyes is possibly something I would like to try and looks a great way of doing it as well as some great photos. However, as you say they are a bit on the expensive side here in the uk, especially the one with the 5 hands/arms. I can get one for £58 but has 4 hands, the model you have is double the price of that which only has 4 arms here in the uk, which seems a lot of more money just for one extra arm. So  I am wondering if there is something else which is different but not obvious between the two models. Hopefully someone else would like to comment if they have bought one  of models with 4 arms here in the uk.. Thank you once again for your help. Best regards dave

4 minutes ago, DaveBaxt said:

So  I am wondering if there is something else which is different but not obvious between the two models.

I cant imagine there would be.   Maybe the plate is larger?  I only have the 4 arm model and found that to be plenty.    

54 minutes ago, DaveBaxt said:

I can get one for £58 but has 4 hands, the model you have is double the price of that which only has 4 arms here in the uk, which seems a lot of more money just for one extra arm. So  I am wondering if there is something else which is different but not obvious between the two models.

The base plates are different sizes, but appear somewhat the same in their advertising pictures. One comes with four arms and has a 6"x 9" baseplate. The one with five arms has an 8" X 11" baseplate.  The different length arms can be purchased separately, as well, but there doesn't seem to be any savings there, since they are more expensive  when bought separately than together with a baseplate. https://www.quadhands.com/collections/all/products/quadhands-deluxe-workbench

Edited by Bob Cleek

Thank you everyone for your help regarding the Quadhands and it looks like I will just have to try the 4 hand one and hopefully the one with the smaller base plate has a sufficiently strong enough magnetic strength. However I have come across a similar one to the 4 quadhand and has a much more acceptable price and has a mostly very good reviews which clear up a few concerns I have such as strong magnets and stiff arms. So think I will probably try this one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fstop-Labs-Soldering-Magnetic-Flexible/dp/B07W42SR65/ref=sr_1_10?crid=GT9A4OGC0RXT&keywords=quadhands+electronics+holder&qid=1654840518&sprefix=Quad+hands%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-10

Best regards Dave