Le Superbe by DannyVM - Mantua 1/75 WIP

Hi everyone,

here i am, with my very first ever wooden ship build, 

Le Superbe, 1/75 from Mantua.

Like i said before, i"m a complete noob regarding ship builds, but carefull work and much help will do the job.....i think...hihi ;)

DSC_0046_zps22fcb5af.jpg

First i bought me some tools to ease some workload, i don't know iff it's a good choise but i think it will be a help for some thing's.

DSC_0003_zpsb6355902.jpg

DSC_0002_zps974b0409.jpg

Ok, first unpacking some goodies from the big box,starting with three packs containing copper canons and other little detail stuff.

DSC_0008_zpsd3173907.jpg

DSC_0007_zps9e27f159.jpg

DSC_0008_zpsd3173907.jpg

First question, can anyone tell me iff the Bow statue was painted on  Le superbe or was it complete gold colored?

Ok back to work now  :dancetl6:

The plans exist out of three sheets, together with a instruction book, but before whe start the build , first unpacking the rest of the box.

DSC_0006_zps6ded7f07.jpg

A little plastic bag contains differnt sizes of rigging cords.

DSC_0009_zps6e6004ff.jpg

And offcourse the wooden rods, planks and laserr cut parts.

DSC_0010_zps56c22548.jpg

DSC_0011_zps02771736.jpg

DSC_0011_zps02771736.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsfc9e0e66.jpg

DSC_0013_zpsab825abf.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Edited by DannyVM

Hello Danny and welcome aboard. I have looked at this model as a potential next build so this will be exciting. Looking forward to following along.

What is your opinion so far about the kit... quality of parts, instructions etc? There are mixed opinions about Mantua but I've never touched one so I am curious.

Hi everyone,

time to start on this great beast.

I started with numbering the parts before the build.

DSC_0014_zps15fb8467.jpg

After that, i removed the spant's from there joint's.

DSC_0018_zps1b10776a.jpg

I will use a keel clamp that my father used for his Victory. The clamp was a little torsed , so i had to put on a plank to line it out.

DSC_0001_zpsaae94674.jpg

After this was done, i placed the keel on the clamp, so the fun could start :o  :o  :o  :D  :D

DSC_0017_zpse9dd9cec.jpg

The spant's where dry-fitted to the keel, and later this week i will glue them.

DSC_0016_zpsebd77076.jpg

DSC_0015_zps51f08640.jpg

Please iff you guy's or girl's have tips, please share them with me.

Many thank's

Greetz

Danny

@ Nigel:

Thank's for the very fast reply mate and thank's for the tip regarding the figurehead. I sure will find out how this was painted.

Hello Danny and welcome aboard. I have looked at this model as a potential next build so this will be exciting. Looking forward to following along. 
What is your opinion so far about the kit... quality of parts, instructions etc? There are mixed opinions about Mantua but I've never touched one so I am curious.

Hi Randy,

I'm afraid that my little know how regarding wooden ship kits is restricted, but i will do my best to give you a good image about the overal quality of the kit.

The laser cutted parts are very sharp and are good in overal quality, same go's with the rest of the wooden parts like detail part's and rod's.

In my opinion, the wood in the box is from good quality, offcourse, i have no idea what kind of material the other manufactures use. So i can not give you a comparisation between those kits.

The fit of the part"s ( spant's on the keel) gives a good fit, for so far i know.

The further progress will teach us more regarding quality and fit, and i hope for sure that it will continues to be good.

Greetz

Danny

Hi Danny

Welcome to MSW. That is a challenging first kit but with patience and planning I'm sure you'll do it well. Here are my basic thoughts for your coming tasks:

- Take your time.

- Make sure the bulkheads are square to the false keel - using the lower deck as suggested is the way to go.

- Don't glue anything together until you are completely confident about the fit of each piece.

- Take your time.

- Fill the forward and aft bulkheads with balsa wood to support the planks and shape the fillers with the bulkheads - be more aggressive about the shape than you expect it to be and use trial planks to get the curvature right. The steepness of the curves can be surprising.

- File and cut rabbet lines/bearding lines into the false keel so that the planks meet the main keel in the same plane - they should be flush with the keel.

- Take your time.

- Sand the planks, not the keel.

Take your time and enjoy.

Cheers

Alistair

Hi Danny

Although not familiar with how this particular kit goes together,looking at your pics I would be tempted to use the lower false deck as a jig for glueing the bulkheads to the false keel.Doing it this way would ensure every thing lines up.

Kind Regards Nigel

Hi Nigel,

thank's Nigel for this feedback you gave me. Indeed, like you said this should be a good way to line the bulkheads to the false keel, thank's allot for this tip. :)

Hi Danny

Welcome to MSW. That is a challenging first kit but with patience and planning I'm sure you'll do it well. Here are my basic thoughts for your coming tasks:

- Take your time.

- Make sure the bulkheads are square to the false keel - using the lower deck as suggested is the way to go.

- Don't glue anything together until you are completely confident about the fit of each piece.

- Take your time.

- Fill the forward and aft bulkheads with balsa wood to support the planks and shape the fillers with the bulkheads - be more aggressive about the shape than you expect it to be and use trial planks to get the curvature right. The steepness of the curves can be surprising.

- File and cut rabbet lines/bearding lines into the false keel so that the planks meet the main keel in the same plane - they should be flush with the keel.

- Take your time.

- Sand the planks, not the keel.

Take your time and enjoy.

Hi Alistair,

Every feedback you guy's give me, i will write it down on a piece of paper, and put it beside me, these are golden tips you guy's giving me, and i appriciate this allot, many thank's.

To Greg, Brian and ZyXuz: thank's allot for the nice comment guy's.

Greetz

Danny

Hi Guy's,

i did some research regarding colors and the figurehead, but the info i get from the www. is rather sparse.

In some mather i like the color of Le Superbe provided on the boxtop of the Mantua kit, but i would give the figurehead some more color.

Now, my question: can i do that.....?? or.............are there rules to follow regarding these ship's.

iff i look to the boxtop of the Heller kit, i see two yellow stripes on the side of the ship, and the figurehead show some blue painting.

On the historical side, the hull should be copper plated according to Wikipedia??

Has someone an answer to these questions, many thanks in advance guy's.

Greetz

Danny

From my perspective it goes like this... my ship my rules.

I doubt that my ships will ever be used in museums to represent reality so I think whatever I think is correct goes. If your aim is to be accurate that is a noble goal but realize that a ship might have differing versions and the problem becomes which one is accurate? Or most accurate? Or completely wrong?

I, when trying to stay true to history, will try to follow history but again... my ship, my decisions.

Even the shipwrights that scratch build and aim for complete accuracy must sometimes make choices about which way to go.

So, can you do that? If you can live with it then yes you can. :)

Of course... I do this for a hobby and the enjoyment... I will try to stay in the period of the vessel but I will sleep at night if I add a color or use a wood that might not be accurate. That's just me of course.

Hi Guy's,

thank's allot for you're feedback. :)

Randy, i totally agree with you're state about "my rules/my ship" and yes, it's not always easy to pick the right colors or right accuracy for an object of those day's where camera's not yet invented.

Thank's for giving me you're opinion about the hobby.

ofencer29350: That's a nice ship, is it you'rs??

Colors are like the boxtop of the Heller kit.

Thank's for sharing.

I took some more photo's of my WIP, still dry-fitting the part's because i want to make sure that every part has a perfect fit.

I dry-fitted the lower decks to the bulkheads to make sure that everything fit's correctly, and yes..... :dancetl6: .........every part falls right onto his place.

DSC_0001_zps103725d1.jpg

DSC_0002_zps80563575.jpg

Also i dry-fitted some spants  of the stern and a front horizontal plate.

DSC_0003_zps14f0d27a.jpg

DSC_0004_zps228172ea.jpg

DSC_0005_zps0c8b3ed7.jpg

Iff you look at this horizantal plate, you will notice that the angle is not square, the plate stands a little upwards.

DSC_0006_zpsbf8eda10.jpg

I took a look at the plans, and also, here it state thate the horizontal plate stands a bit upwards.

Is this right or should i put the plate really horizontal??

Thank's for looking

Greetz

Danny

Hi Danny,

From me also welcome in this wonderful, international world of building.

You ask a lot and that is good !

It is just what Randy is saying….you are the captain and you make the decisions !

Most important thing is….ENJOY.

I see that there is a seat available at the front row, so that's mine !

For a first build you take the bull by the horns.

No problem but take your time ( I read it before somewhere on your log ) and measure twice and glue once.

The name is Le Superbe and I'll be sure that you make a Superbe build of it.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Guy's,

@ Sjors: Thank's allot for the nice comment and the tip's, that's much appriciated. :)

Ok time to make some more progress guy's, and finnaly i glued something :piratetongueor4:  hihihi

I've been reading the tip's you guy's gave me, and so, it was time to glue something.

Still very carefull and very beware that everything line's up perfectly i started my modelship :huh:

I glued the first bulkhead and the last to the false keel.

After that, i dry-fitted the lower deck to the first and last bulkhead to see the two lines up perfectly.

DSC_00012_zpse1de4be9.jpg

Ok, the next  bulkheads are glued to the fals keel, for this i used some square balsa pieces to ensure a perfectly line up of the bulkheads to the false keel.

DSC_00022_zps0c4ed436.jpg

Maybe i am a little to carefull, but i really want to get a perfect ship :10_1_10:

DSC_00032_zps8183482e.jpg

DSC_00042_zps33faf252.jpg

After the triangels are used to line out the bulkheads, i glued them onto the false keel using two triangels to hold the bulkhead on his place.

DSC_00052_zps3eef2123.jpg

To glue the pieces i use a little bottle for the wood glue, this gives me a very good way of working with the wood glue without spilling to much.

Iff the bottle is empty i refill it from the big bottle.

DSC_00072_zps537a2a41.jpg

DSC_00062_zpsadf41031.jpg

Et voila, the bulkheads are glued, and i think ( ok.....i'm sure ?? :dancetl6: ) that everything lines up perfectly.

DSC_0009_zps455d9a62.jpg

DSC_0010_zps1d7cae3c.jpg

DSC_0011_zpsca492bce.jpg

DSC_0012_zps79da02dc.jpg

Thank's guy's for looking

Greetz

Danny

Hi Danny,

It looks great !

To see if the frames are right I have learn a trick.

Take the ship upside down and look carefully of all the top of the frames are hitting the table.

Then I mean the frames that suppose to hit the table ( the highest one )

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Danny, I'm Didier "Hussard" from Brussels, I'am in waiting for this kit, the belgian importer told me he has difficulties to being delivered, did you experience a delay ? In the meantime I am very happy to to be able to follow you ... 

Hi Guy's,

@ Nigel: 

i frequently look iff everything stay's in line, and yes like you said Nigel, i have to be carefull not to twist anything when glueing the parts together.

Thank's for the warning mate, this keeps me aware B) .

@ Didier:

Hi Didier, first, i hope you will get you're "Le Superbe" real soon.

I bought my kit not on the internet but in a store, so i can not give you information regarding delivery time's.

The thing i can say is, that you have to watch out when you buy a kit in a store, because prizes variated enormous from store to store.

Greetz

Danny

Hi Danny,

I just read your post about the prices in different stores and I can only agree with you.

When I look at the Agamemnon , I pay in Holland about 900 Euro's…..

When I buy it in England, I pay about 700 Euro's , so the decision is easily made…..I buy it in England  :D

But it is better to look around.

Any progress on your Le Superbe?

Any progress on your Le Superbe?

Hi Sjors,

at the moment no my friend, last week me and my wife had the grand childeren on visit the whole week, so my priorities layed else

where :( . And last weekend whe made a trip to Paris and the fabulous Hotel Des Invalides where Napoleon's tombe is located. A great oportunity to take some pictures of the numurous canons of that time. So not much time to work on my ship. But, from the moment i make some progress i sure will put pictures overhere.

Greetz

Danny

This kit was also one of my first, and a darn fine kit it was/is too (20 years ago now - it had just been released). I remember the excellent photo instruction booklet helped a 'newbie' like me make a half decent job.

On the bulkhead orientation front, I have learned to dry fit the 5mm false decks, pin them and then glue the whole assembly together in one go - you're guaranteed to have perfect alignment then..

Hi folk's,

time to get some more progress on the model :pirate41:   here whe go..........

The spant's of the stern where glued once i was sure everything fitted perfectly.

DSC_0017_zps68ab0516.jpg

The plancking pattern was sanded in an angle to support the later planking, offcourse i will ad a block of balsa and sand it to the right form to support the planking.

DSC_0018_zpsb017baf2.jpg

Time to dry-fit the under deck. To do that, the whole deck needs to be bent, so it can be placed into the slot's of the frame's. Oh boy.......it has to be bent very sharply........ :o

DSC_0019_zps4a288f5b.jpg

Ok.....no problem, some water and the job is easily done...... :huh:  :P  ;)

The brown line in the middle of the deck is not a crack, it's just a other color on the wood.

DSC_0020_zpsb338a1fa.jpg

This under deck has to be bent slightly to align it with the frames. Once i started to glue this the deck needs to stay on his place, so i decided to cut some supports of the same kind of the bow and stern walls from scrap balsa.

DSC_00222_zpsab8cd1c0.jpg

DSC_00262_zps64be2515.jpg

Now the under deck is glued to the frames and the supports keep it in place, so it assures the right bent angle.

DSC_00272_zpsb9e1843a.jpg

I have to say, my Englisch isn't very good, so i hope you guy's can understand with i'm writing here. :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:

Now regarding the under deck i have a question??

The manual state once the under deck has glued, it has to be painted twice with a varnisch, but...........iff i am correct, this has to be plancked first, or am i wrong.......

Nothing in the manual say's or stated that this has to be plancked first, so on this i am a bit lost.

Greetz

Danny

Edited by DannyVM

Hi Danny,

First of all your English is just fine.

I can understand it and when I can almost everybody can read and understand it  :D  :D  :D

You are on the right track !

Yes, you have to planck it before you varnish it.

When you varnish it first, the glue will not hold !

And it has no use to varnish it first and then planked it because you don't see the varnish anymore…..

It's almost the same when they are saying, paint the inner side of the hull planking……. :P

Hi Sjors,

thank's allot for you're feedback mate. That was my tought also, but for a strange reason, the instructions in the Dutch language didn't mentioned it. After i did some search in the instruction booklet, i found  the needed info, altough it was in the Englisch instruction section. I think they forgot it to mention in the Dutch language.

Ok, back to the shipyard :D

Greetz

Danny

Hi Danny,

When there is a Dutch translation I'm always keep the English one beside it.

Sometimes they are using Google translation and that sounds if it is Chinese…...

But your welcome, I try to give you help when you needed it !