HMS Winchelsea by cdrusn89 - FINISHED - 1/48th

Looking good…keep going!!!  But do t rush through it.  A good planking set up and plan will make or break a model’s overall appearance.

I got all the tic strips transferred to the bulkheads and ran some masking tape down the marks that define the four belts.

I had to use 1/8" tape as the striping tape I had does not have enough "stick" to grab the bulkheads and stay. I guess it was designed for a continuous surface (or it is really old, another possibility).

That said I had to be very careful to get the tic mark in the center of the tape, or at least in the same place every time. I finally decided to put the lower edge of the tape on the tic mark.

I found two areas where there seemed to be too sharp a "bend" so now I should tape up the rest of the tic marks but I do not have enough tape to do that.

More is on the way and I leave Sunday for two weeks so "fixing" the tic marks will have to wait until I return.

I'll work on the two rows of planking on the port side tomorrow to keep from having to listen to the "packing frenzy" in the house.

Anyway here is the starboard side with the belts "outlined.

IMG_3139.jpeg

IMG_3140.jpeg

IMG_3141.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

Current Build -  HMS Sphinx 1775

Prior Builds:  HMS Winchelsea

USF Confederacy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It has been two hurricanes (Ian and Nicole) and two cruises (Bermuda and Med/TransAtlantic) since I last did any work on Winnie.

So here goes, planking the lower hull starts NOW!

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

The forward portion of the first three rows of the upper belt.

The ends of these start the pattern for the butt ends. I have arbitrarily decided on plank lengths of eight bulkheads ~ 9" more or less making the planks 36' long (give or take).

These three took most of this afternoon including the three that I messed up and had to "do over".

Hopefully no more hurricane clean up to keep me from "pressing on".

IMG_0010.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Today's contribution.

The forward portion of the first four planks in the upper belt complete.

Plan to add the last two planks in the upper belt at the bow before moving any further aft.

IMG_0011.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Belt 1 completed at the bow. The yellow coloring is paint thinner - trying to see approximately what the planking will look like after several coats of WoP.

Working my way aft now. Then I will work on belt one on the other side before starting belt 2.

IMG_0012.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Port side upper belt completed.

Working on starboard side (once I get the starboard side lined off).

IMG_0016.jpeg

IMG_0014.jpeg

IMG_0015.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Thanks Chuck.

I got the starboard side lined off thanks to the provided templates.

Had to make a few minor corrections as would be expected.

Now on to more planking.

IMG_0019.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Band two completed on the port side.

I have done some preliminary sanding and a wipe down with thinner. Looks like I could have done a better job getting the planks a more uniform color.

I am tempted to start the garboard band now before doing band two on the starboard side.

Beginning to look like a ship's hull.

IMG_0038.jpeg

IMG_0039.jpeg

IMG_0040.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I decided to do the garboard band on the port side before moving over to the starboard side.

I am a little concerned about the stern. Measured at the stern post I have 2 1/8" to cover but at the bulkhead 29 it is 1 5/8".

2 1/8" is more than can be covered by 6 5/16" wide planks. So I need at least one 3/8" plank (probably two).

Narrowing down to 1 5/8" in less a 3/4" inch (on average, it is 1 inch at the bottom (top) and 1/2" at the top (bottom). Might make for some pretty strange looking planks.

Might be time for a stealer. But before that I will see what I can come up with for a 3/8" wide plank.

I have time, need to get the starboard side in the same shape as the port side.

IMG_0041.jpeg

IMG_0042.jpeg

IMG_0043.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

You shouldn’t need any stealers, between ¼ and 5/16 planks should be able to cover it. 

How will you finish the stern planks at the counter, the monograph has them fitted behind the counter, yours are extending past it?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Glenn,

I know I should not need stealers but the math does not work out - 6 planks 5/16" wide would be 30 16ths, the space to be covered is 2 1/16" = 33 16ths.

The plan is to add a 5/16" plank to the top and bottom and remeasure. If there is still an issue add a 3/8" plank (suitably tapered going forward) and see where that leaves me.

I judged the monograph counter planking scheme as beyond my limited capabilities and will "live" with a somewhat modified "look" at the counter.

IMG_0047.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Starboard side bands one and two completed. Preliminary sanding and thinner applied. Five of eight bands finished.

Now for band 4 on this side.

IMG_0050.jpeg

IMG_0049.jpeg

IMG_0048.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Thanks guys for the "Likes".

I got the upper band on the starboard side completed and then just "kept going". Starboard side forward planking completed. I

On the final plank I added an extra joint - I tried three times to make a piece that would fit across the standard eight bulkheads but finally decided to split that plank into two pieces. I only had to make the two pieces once each. It looks pretty obvious in the picture - hopefully it will not stick out too much after sanding and WoP.

I hope to complete the starboard side tomorrow.

IMG_0051.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Starboard side planking completed.

Issues arose overnight. At the bow two of the planks cracked just aft of the bow. You can see them in the second photo. There were already several planks on each side of them by the time I noticed this morning so I am going to have to live with it. I did not notice them as I was installing them but they probably cracked then but I suppose it is possible they cracked overnight as the shop cooled down or stress from the other planks built up? 

There also a "nick" in one of the planks near the stern - not sure how that happened either.

Now back to the port side.

IMG_0052.jpeg

IMG_0054.jpeg

IMG_0053.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Planking completed on both sides, stern trimmed for stern post installation.Now for a final pass with 150 grit paper, then 220, then 320 and then the WoP.

I intentionally did not add the extra layer of planking on the wales before so after the stern post installation adding them wand painting them will be next before moving on to Chapter 3 and all the fun of the quarter galleries.

IMG_0055.jpeg

IMG_0058.jpeg

IMG_0056.jpeg

IMG_0057.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I put four coats of WoP on the hull below the wales hoping to keep errant drops of paint, glue, coffee et al at bay. I will likely cover the lower hull with delicate finish masking tape (the purple stuff) after I get the second layer of [planking on the wales.

Speaking of the second layer, I have it on the starboard side and am preparing to finish sand it and get it covered with the flat black paint.

I decided to paint the lower edge of the lowest row black before I installed it to avoid having to paint the lower edge afterwards. That is some of the black that is in the picture. The black not on the lowest row is me picking the wrong piece and not realizing it until it was too late.

I have applied and mostly sanded off one application of filler. I will do another when the thinner which is on the wales now evaporates.

After the next round of filler I am going to try a primer coats and see how that looks before committing to black.

IMG_0067.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Try as I might (three layers of filler, four coats of primer sanding with 400 grit between coats) I was not able to get all the seams between the planks to "disappear" like they appear to have done in Chuck's monograph.

So I "gave up" and this is how the wales look before the first coat of flat black (Badger 16-454 #82 BLACK (1943)).

I did completely mask off the bottom edge from the hull planking after proving to myself that I could not keep paint from going over the edge. The four coats of WoP made scraping the gray off pretty easy. I used Tamiya 10mm tape and then sealed the edge at the hull with flat acrylic paint.

IMG_0069.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Thanks Chuck

Here is the starboard side with the wales painted black - three coats with 600 grit sanding between coats.

I'll wait until tomorrow to take off the masking and see what else may need doing before I add the "black" strake which is, of course, not black, at least not on Winnie.

IMG_0070.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Tape came off - nice clean line at bottom.

I added the black strake and am going to give the topsides/black strake one coat of WoP and several coats on the wales before I move to the port side for a "rinse and repeat".

IMG_0071.jpeg

IMG_0072.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Thanks Chuck - now I realize I forgot the anchor lining.

Oh well, at least I will (probably) remember it on the port side and install before painting the wales.

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I got the anchor lining (both pieces) installed, painted and WoPed.

On to the port side now (after applying some purple masking tape over the wales on this side.

IMG_0075.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I joined this site some while ago. I have been building 1/4 scale HMS Southampton for 5 years - sometimes putting away for months as other pastimes catch my interest. Southampton was designed by same guy as Niger class, but one year earlier. Niger incorporated changes to Southampton but with identical dimensions and weaponry. Sheets of 1/4 scale admiralty plans are available for free download from a gaming site. The plans show far more detail of the actual hull construction and planking but lack other deck detail from Winchelsea. I am thrilled to find Winchelsea to help me detail the fittings/deck etc. Unfortunately I am not as skilled as some which is disappointing. However I suggest there are some discrepancies - for instance Winchelsea is missing the second layer of planking above waterline which reinforced hull for boarding enemy vessel. It is also lacking oar ports which were still needed back then. I am no expert and welcome any correction