HM Cutter Mermaid 1817 by Moo - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:48

Remember to do a proper fairing or you will need a lot of filler later. For my build, I had to add some wood to the last bulkhead (the one next to the transom).

Current building

Santisima trinidad cross section - Occre - 1:90

Finished

Bounty Boat - OCCRE - 1:24

Moo,

Looks like you're off to a good start, but as has been said – patience, don't rush it. You'll turn out a much better model as a result. Asking questions here certainly will help. Personally I'm interested in seeing how she differs from the Sherbourne, that I'm working on.

The materials look good from the pictures, can you say something about the quality?

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Remember to do a proper fairing or you will need a lot of filler later. For my build, I had to add some wood to the last bulkhead (the one next to the transom).

Yes, most of the bulkheads are sitting nice and flush with the top of the keel, but two are sitting low. I'll have to sort that before I start glueing

Moo, Looks like you're off to a good start, but as has been said – patience, don't rush it. You'll turn out a much better model as a result. Asking questions here certainly will help. Personally I'm interested in seeing how she differs from the Sherbourne, that I'm working on. The materials look good from the pictures, can you say something about the quality?

It's probably a bit hard for me to judge the quality at this point - it's my first model of any type since I was a kid about 30yrs ago doing my brother's plastic model kits that people would give him for Christmas, yet he was never real interested in! But so far it has a reasonably good feel, no gaps apparent in the ply which is pretty clear all round. The instructions seem reasonably detailed, the DVD useful to see how they work in practice (DVD bought separately, but heavily discounted when purchased at the same time as the kit).

you have made an excellent choice for a first build. The instructional DVD is also excellent.

So far so good! :)

Current build: HM Cutter Mermaid 1817
Next build: US Brig Syren...maybe :)

Moo, If you'd like to build her historically accurate, there are two illustrations of her by Phillip Parker King available on the National Library's Trove website. I've attached lower resolution copies so you can see what they're like. John 

That's great John,

Thanks

Leanne

So, after week one things are progressing reasonably well for a first-timer!

Gluing in the first bulkhead was a little nerve wracking, but once I got going the other eight plus transom were progressively added.

Left them all overnight to dry and added the bow and stern filler blocks this morning. The stern blocks needed a bit of trimming and shaping to fit in the available space and angle of the transom itself.

I've started to dry-fit the deck and needed to trim 5mm off the stern to get the mast hole in the deck to line up to the pre-cut slot in the keel. Will dry-fit again to be sure once the filler blocks have finished drying.

A couple of issues arose as I was progressing.

• First related to the bulkheads. The written instructions indicated a firm but not loose fit is needed, but in the DVD Leon's example build looked quite loose. I went for firm, but not pinching the wood as the slots met
  • Second was also bulkhead related, well transom, really. I wasn't sure what to line it up to. I ended up making it flush to the end of the keel, following its angle - looks right, I think. Tried looking at pics of other Mermaid builds, but often the angle didn't show quite what I was looking for. So hopefully I got it right.

All in all, I'm happy. :)

post-5588-0-97893300-1376817036_thumb.jpg

post-5588-0-69081500-1376817041_thumb.jpg

post-5588-0-82093000-1376817045_thumb.jpg

post-5588-0-97570800-1376817049_thumb.jpg

post-5588-0-56934700-1376817053_thumb.jpg

post-5588-0-66257400-1376817056_thumb.jpg

The transom goes in line with the keel line. Remember to check is is square to the keel. Mine did not fit quite good so at the end it's a few millimeters higher on the port side.

The false deck is oversized, you need to trim a lot at the transom to make it fit flush with the bulkheads.

Before fitting the false deck remember to sand the bulkheads, or the false deck may not sit straight.

Keep posting pictures as you progress in your build (and you can check mine also :))

Current building

Finished

• 3 weeks later...

thats coming along nicely Leanne but you need a keel clamp to keep things straight. 

Thanks, Brian - when do I use the keel clamp? it looks like I'll be moving it about a bit it the next week or two as I start sanding bulkheads and fairing before getting to the planking (which I think I start with the keel up). Is the clamp best for when the planking gets underway and it's sitting deck-side up again? Or once the false keel is attached?

The transom goes in line with the keel line. Remember to check is is square to the keel. Mine did not fit quite good so at the end it's a few millimeters higher on the port side.

The false deck is oversized, you need to trim a lot at the transom to make it fit flush with the bulkheads.

Before fitting the false deck remember to sand the bulkheads, or the false deck may not sit straight.

Keep posting pictures as you progress in your build (and you can check mine also :))

Have been caught up on a few other projects over the last few weeks, hoping to start sanding bulkheads this week before attaching the deck... But you're right about the deck being over-sized, I think I trimmed about 5mm from the stern end to get the mast hole to line up with the corresponding slot in the keel.

Edited by Moo

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update...

Finally got the fairing underway... planking next (in a week or two).

The written instructions talked about removing the deadwood area on the keel at the stern, but the 'how-to-dvd' didn't mention it at all. Went ahead and did it anyway, figuring the written instructions are likely more up to date.

:)

post-5588-0-48088600-1379839907.jpg

post-5588-0-12847000-1379839912.jpg

Hi Leanne,

You Have made a nice start to your build. :D 

You have done the right thing removing the deadwood at the stern this will allow the planks to end up the same width as the stern post and or rudder, with minimal sanding,  when it is fitted. It is called the bearding line :) 

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Looking good.

I am thinking of getting this as my 1st kit. Just tossing up if I should get the mermaid or the Norfolk . And if I should get the deluxe with copper plating or not.

Would you recommend them based on the manuals and quality ?

My other option was a model shipways armed virginia sloop, which is much cheaper, even after exchange rate and export...but I'm wondering if the manual is as good as the model shipyard ones with the DVD as well.

Cheers

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Looking good.

I am thinking of getting this as my 1st kit. Just tossing up if I should get the mermaid or the Norfolk . And if I should get the deluxe with copper plating or not.

Would you recommend them based on the manuals and quality ?

My other option was a model shipways armed virginia sloop, which is much cheaper, even after exchange rate and export...but I'm wondering if the manual is as good as the model shipyard ones with the DVD as well.

Cheers

The Mermaid is certainly a kit recommended for a first timer, so I took that advice in selecting it. Because it is my first, hard for me to tell in terms of the quality of the manuals, DVD or materials. So far things seem to be going ok.

I would say though that it seems most of the photos in the manual tend to be stills from the film, so they appear grainy and the finer details a bit hard to see. But I wouldn't really dismiss it on that basis as usually the narrative either in the manual or film explains well enough. As with most things, there is more than one way to skin a cat... I have no doubt that the methods presented are just one of many, albeit presented by a well-respected master ship modeller in Leon Griffiths. So for the time being I'm happy to follow the guide :)

Hope this helps

Leanne

Thanks for your information Leanne, I'm very tempted to go with the Mermaid, as you have convinced me the documentation will hopefully guide me through!

I just need to decide on the deluxe or not.

I really like the look of the copper hull, but am not sure if that would greatly increase the complexity or if it is a simple part compared to the planking of the hull.

Cheers

Rowan

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Thanks for your information Leanne, I'm very tempted to go with the Mermaid, as you have convinced me the documentation will hopefully guide me through!

I just need to decide on the deluxe or not.

I really like the look of the copper hull, but am not sure if that would greatly increase the complexity or if it is a simple part compared to the planking of the hull.

Cheers

Rowan

The cool part is that if you get stuck at any point of the build, the MSW members are the ultimate resource - there is always someone about who can set you in the right direction :)

And a good thing about modeller's shipyard is that they also answer questions if you are stuck in the build.

If you are going for the mermaid, check all the fittings and cords. In my build, I got short on the walnut strips, used even the last splinter of mahogany, and got very short on .25mm cord.

Current building

Finished

• 7 months later...

Great to see another Canberran as a forum member Moo. There seems to be quite a contingent.

Terrific progress on your cutter. Well done.

You may be interested in viewing the Sirius (I think by the same manufacturer). It is located in the foyer of the Sirius Building at Woden. 

As you say this forum is a fantastic resource if you have a question.

Good luck with your build.

Alan

Nice to see you back on the forum again Leanne. Now we're all looking forward to an update on your build. No pressure................... ;)

Alan is right, there are a lot of Canberrans here - maybe we should all get together sometime.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, underway again... have been a bit side tracked on other projects for a few months - most recently building a chicken coop in readiness for chicks arriving in the next few days. Just got the roof to go...

post-5588-0-64797000-1401356720_thumb.jpg

But back to the shipyard. 1st layer of planking begins...

post-5588-0-31968700-1401356276_thumb.jpg

Onward...

:pirate41:

Nice job on the "Chook Hilton" Leanne! ;) Good to see the shipyard back in operation and some planking action happening.

Very neatly done. I have the Perseverance in waiting just as soon as I can finish my blue shadow! Keep up the excellent work!

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Nice to see your back on,,, chicken pen looks nice..     Good start to your planking, you may want to try some of those map pins, you can push them it bulkheads to help hold planks on tight.. may be of help, easy to find and cheap.. Regards Ollie

Edited by olliechristo

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more progress...

The building instructions that came with the kit suggest using the crimping method for shaping bends, but I found the timber was more prone to snap at the ends. So I'm soaking each plank in water for about 15-20min before pinning in place, waiting for it to dry and then gluing-up/reclamping.

Seems to be coming along...

post-5588-0-67417300-1403077950_thumb.jpg

post-5588-0-66475000-1403077867_thumb.jpg

The Captain and some of the crew arrived recently from cornwall model boats in the UK (you were right Grant, cost and postage very reasonable). Came aboard for a quick review of progress - the boatswain is giving me the hurry up. Cheeky!

post-5588-0-58447200-1403077945_thumb.jpg

All ahead...

What you have done so far looks really good... Your planking looks to be going well... I like the figures, they look the right size too.. i couldnt seem to find any for 1:48.. keep it up... Regards

Thanks Ollie.

I like the figures, they look the right size too.. i couldnt seem to find any for 1:48.. 

The figures are the 25mm/1" Amati ones, though I think they might be a bit short for 1:48 - think I got my scales mixed up.

Probably better with the 35mm versions for a 5'5" standing height... 4' is likely a bit too short - might end up being a cabin boy or powder monkey... though I doubt the Mermaid had the latter

:)