Name the Ship Game

RMS Olympic

Well, durn.  Is it bigger than a breadbox? 

Wish I could remember that site you had mentioned on the old game....

Mutter...mumble...old laker...freighter....mumble...

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

After a long search and much digging I believe it to be Edwin F. Holmes.  

I'll accept that answer, although in that photo she was already sailing under her latest name J.B. Ford

Launched December 1903 and from 1996 to 2001 used for cement storage. The vessel is still in existence in Superior WI. There are mutterings of a preservationist group interested in saving her from the cutting torch.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

The mutterings seem to be true...http://www.greatlakessteamshipsociety.org/

The Great Lakes Steamship Society is a 501©(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation of the 1904-vintage Great Lakes steamship J.B. Ford. In a career that lasted over a century, this grand old lady of the Lakes carried the goods that fed the industrial might of our nation, hauled the raw materials that helped to win two world wars, and survived some of the Great Lakes’ worst storms, including the infamous “White Hurricane” of 1913.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Alright took me a while to find the name of this one but it was bottled by one of my favorite ship on bottle builders.  I will post the video of that as soon as some one guess's correctly.  It's worth watching.  

post-307-0-88657500-1363228599.jpg

Darn your good.  Must have watched the video.  http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/steady_as_she_goes  Theres the link.  It's short and fun.  Wish I could have met George Fulfit in person.  

*points to his username*

Not just an empty boast! ;)

Seen her on many occasions during my travels (Most recently at Quebec City last summer).

Now I'll have to think of something again. Bear with me as I will be spending tomorrow skiing, so if it's ok with everyone,

I'll have something on Friday.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Let me think ....... I'm a bit confused now smileys-confused-389931.gif

I know what concede means (accept as true, valid, or accurate).

But it also means to give away or grant something.

So Andy, do you post another ship? Or do I post a ship?

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hello Wayne,

You are right.

I don't see it in Bill's post, he did gave the correct name, but not the type.

This odd-looking ship is indeed USNS Mizar (T-AGOR 11), a special-mission ocean survey/"ocean engineering" ship. Mizar was commissioned in 1958 as an arctic cargo ship (AK 272). In 1964 she underwent a hurried conversion to an ocean survey ship to assist in the search for the sunken USS Thresher (SSN 593); she was redesignated AGOR 11. After locating Thresher, she underwent a more complete conversion to her new role and embarked on a long and interesting career. She was taken out of service in 1992.

More information is to be found here: http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-m/ak272.htm

Take care,

Anja

Edited by Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Will give this one to Barnacle Bill to choose the next ship since he had the right name!

Here is what is likely a final view of the USNS Mizar in 2005 enroute to the scrap yard in Portsmouth Virginia

0913027209.jpg

Wayne

Epictetus

I will post the next one as soon as i get back from work. I will be driving in london, embankment as well. I might get to see the replacement...

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

I will post the next one as soon as i get back from work. I will be driving in london, embankment as well. I might get to see the replacement...

The replacement was the TS Queen Mary 2 and she was supposed to be  towed off to La Rochelle last year but that fell through and is now at Tilbury.

Edited by Barnacle Bill