Pinta by Knocklouder - FINISHED - Amati - 1:65

So now back to planking . I feel I don't  have enough skill to plank the first layer they way  the did. Back in the day.  But like the Santa Maria,  will plank the second layer right hopefully. Going to cut all second layer up so I have to do it lol, I love the finish on my SM but want to make the Pinta look different  Lighter in color,  most likely  sanding sealer then  lemon oil.  🍋  Need to learn about thread and were to get what kind so be reading about that, that's it for now .

Edited by Bob M
typos of course

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

On a side note, a friend of  my moms is building  the  Astrolabe 1812. He found out I was doing modeling I went over wow , but he is old school and has less computer skills then me lol .

A bonus for me because he has lots of the books people talk about here just thought you might want to look  😉 🙂 

20220706_185640.jpg

20220713_191420.jpg

20220713_192037.jpg

Edited by Bob M
Yep typos 😒

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Back to The Pinta lol, planking is going good got them even at the front this time  I broke a bulk head  but it's OK, Funny  note on the SM I made a mistake on the poop deck I let the sides of the ship flow out wards  so it did not cover so had to add some side pieces, this time I fitted it  first then  realized that I had to remove the tips of the bulk heads lol. So had to add some to the side of the deck on the this one too lol 😆 . Well that's all I got. Thanks 

20220711_235357.jpg

20220711_205827.jpg

20220711_235314.jpg

20220712_230300.jpg

20220714_005833.jpg

Edited by Bob M
Yep typos 😒

So far, she's looking good, Bob.   Are using any of the planking tutorials?   There's a pinned post here with the tutorials:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/14-building-framing-planking-and-plating-a-ships-hull-and-deck/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes, my son booked Mark this page for me long ago lol, would like to link it to my page for people to go to it but don't know how so if any one ask I say look here , if I go to that link in your last post it gives me 43 pages of reading , this is where it get confusing 😕  waiting for my son lol,

Try this link, Bob.  It's actually do the tutorials and not the discussions.  My bad on hitting the wrong link.   

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/98-planking-downloads-and-tutorials-and-videos/

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Did some more work on the deck I like the main deck getting close to what I wanted ,just the colour, I think It should have been Grey like I said  I have got to learn how to keep my nail line straighter  lol 20220714_225808.thumb.jpg.a70bdf15df20c70b7c48eac000c6ba1d.jpg

4 hours ago, Bob M said:

Did some more work on the deck. I like the main deck getting close to what I wanted ,just the colour, I think It should have been Grey like I said  I have got to learn how to keep my nail line straighter.  lol

Building any ship model is a learning experience.  You are making good progress.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

OFF course, well with a mighty  slap of the hand, yep the Pinta flew across  the ship yard , frustrated by my computer lack of  skill and not catching on lol. And not wanting  to ask the same questions  over and over , 😕  , thought of leaving but won't learn that way,   down but not out.

Tec support is on they way lol 😆 😂 

Keep persevering mate; and don't be afraid to re-ask questions.  Most on this forum are a patient lot.

Can I ask how you are cutting the butt ends of your plank.  You may need to make a jig of sorts to help you with this.  A simple jig would allow you to cut consistent lengths, squared at the ends, and also allow you to consistently drill the tree nail holes.  Give me a PM if you need more info.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

the plankl.jpgI have a Mutiny on my hands LOL

Edited by Bob M
typos of course

O boy, I have been fired!! The crew has a list of demands before work will continue, and it's long and  NO  negotiation !!

Ok let's see how I get out of this one, LOL ,post when contracts are signed.  Bob M.

Edited by Bob M
typos of course

2 hours ago, Bob M said:

O boy, I have been fired!! The crew has a list of demands before work will continue, and it's long and  NO  negotiation !!

Ok let's see how I get out of this one, LOL ,post when contracts are signed.  Bob M.

Bob, 

You've got it wrong...you might be the captain but you're NOT in charge!  You've always got the admiralty above you! 🤣  

And, just remember Mark Taylor's signature:  

image.png.5c9a04dddb3c3942c9e30f28cae03e9a.png

Clear skies and sharp tools,

Gabe

(Captain, NOT Admiral)🤣 

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

It's always good to take a pause when things start to get on top of what you are doing; it allows you to adjust and come back better - good luck Bob.  Those who visit my log will see that I have also taken a break from the dockyard; I only just got back there seriously in the last few days, and oh boy, am I rusty - the Foreman told me in no uncertain terms and language to pull my britches up :)  Take your time, the model and slipway will still be there when you are ready.

cheers

Pat

1 hour ago, BANYAN said:

I only just got back there seriously in the last few days

Not to highjack Bob's log but it's great to hear you're back at it, Pat. 

20220722_222225.jpg

20220721_151112.jpg

Well negations are still under way, it is tuff lol. Slowly getting it, and now allowed to post in my own log only, but I snuck in a few when they  were not looking, lol, Got cost over run issues with the first mate ,this hobby can be costly .  So I snuck an  un specified amount of bulk heads and a few planks from La Nina, will look aright after some putty and sanding . And the life boat working on those  things as well, the Pinta is in for repairs  I can fix it but now do I have to call it a Bash kit lol.

If not for a few here that have told me to keep going  I would have packed it in, silly I know but human and their feelings. Just so you know I ask my son what's a post count , I told him that I posted a picture here and it said will not affect my post count he said what do you think a post count is I said I go to the pile need four post to fix the fence so post count is four he still on the floor laughing so hard but catching on lol,

Sorry for all the confusion, I got this little miter box and a new set of tweezers' for the job, so will be able to make things a little straighter , better than cutting free hand. hope  to know you all better as I get to learn my way around, need some rope and  advice on scale but finding things better, and keeping thing realistic for that time period.

thanks so much MSW, I join the NRG but I don't know how to put the logo on my page lol,

Bob, very good of you to support the NRG by becoming a member. One of the best things I've done was become a NRG member. MSW has been too good to/for me not to financially support it.

MSW has taught me lots :bird-vi:  Looking forward to learning a lot more, and meeting new ship mates!!

Edited by Bob M
guess lol

5 minutes ago, Bob M said:

MSW has taught me lots :bird-vi:  Looking forward to learning lots, and meeting new ship mates!!

THANKS

20220723_143644.jpg

Hi, so I got up today ,son arrived big grin on my face, he says what do you need, lol.  Told him needed 4 , three inch finishing nails welded to these pieces of metal . He used to do that, he good is at it, anyway, this is what we made...  a jig for me to cut straight. I think this will help me,  still need a few more lessons on the computer, lol, lots.   Well it is all  just  primed right now not sure how I want to paint it , Its a jig we made for me , Got the idea from people here and want to say a tip of the hat to Louie da fly and others here. He also sent me stuff on canons  that I am going to use for sure. Sorry about posting a picture then talking about it later.  Kids are on the floor laughing at my  computer skills, more,,,  lesson,,, lol  look out I found the emoji :10_1_10::piratebo5: lol

Edited by Knocklouder
typos of course

I always  wanted a nick name that I Like LOL:dancetl6: this Is mine  plus it will help me under stand were to put things, so have to wait on things but it looks like I am on course .      Thanks for being patient with me. 🤗

20220723_170722.jpg

20220723_170824.jpg

Lots of new toys to play with Knocklouder - enjoy; as you mention the hardest part is getting the invoice past the bean counters ;) :) 

A suggestion, perhaps consider countersinking the heads of those nails holding the mitre box secure so that they are flush with the base otherwise the wider planks may not sit flat for cutting.  From the photo hard to determine but you may already have done that.

Good luck and happy building.

cheers

Pat

Yes made two pieces to fit in so I don't scratch my new toy lol.  Thanks Banyan, for your help it has renewed the flame to build and learn :dancetl6:

20220723_195505.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
typos of course

So far, so good, Bob.  What Pat but I'd suggest a step further.... get the screws/nails below the groove in the miter box. If you notice, the base grooves are different sizes to accommodate common size of wood for the box.   Once you get the hang of it by using it, you may decide it doesn't need to be screwed/bolted down.  One side of the of the tool sits lower than other so you can set on the edge of a workbench and then hold it in place while cutting.  

Never mind I just saw your latest with some wood laid inside.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Works great , two piles 8 and 10 cm ,cut 10 at a time all straight :dancetl6:

20220723_201530.jpg

Hi, this must have scared a lot of people, but glad it working again. So now the life boats, well I was raiding the Nina for parts for the  Pinta  decided to make the canons,and the life boats.

They  turn out good the boats  ,I mean..

The canons I had made different but, after the first one thought it was not right so made them this way instead.

20220726_005017.jpg

20220726_004809.jpg

20220723_170722.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Typo

The life boat on top is for the Pinta, the bottom one belongs to the Nina. They are almost the same ships,  until you get  to the  decks, my order for thead is takeing its time, note buy lots so I have some on hand ,will never run out again lol 😆  .

More supply for the Pinta arrives this weekend so catching up on all the reading I got to do ,so I can build better, that's all I got , glad we are back up , no pun intended lol,     thanks  :10_1_10:......

Edited by Knocklouder
Redondent