Pinta by Knocklouder - FINISHED - Amati - 1:65

Hello whats you think of my clam shell signs??  Still waiting for the GAC 400, but it will be here soon, January 16th  now lol 😆  ok till then have a great holiday  and a happy new year  to you all .

20221210_170711.jpg

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Great work, mate! Impressive problem solving.  The clam shell idea is great! Nice, nautical touch (and from the middle of North America, no less!)

Stay warm, neighbour, and best wishes.

- Gabe

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

• 3 weeks later...

Ahoy, I pulled the Pinta off the shelf,  reciving my GAC 400 today.. I will attempt to document the process.. So I just have to curve my sails then hang them.  How long can that take lol. .I can see the finish line on this one, and very happy with the way it is  looking.   I am improving a little on my builds,wish I could say the same for my computer skill lol ,sorry to all members for high jacking their logs,  Very slow learner, and the typos lol. But I have only been a member for less than two years, and I had to learn how to spell,  type,  computers and how to build ships.

Ok , off to do the sails later all.

20230106_125744.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Typo of course

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Today I used the GAC 400 on my sails with what I think are great results. Thanks so much for the tip. Reading the logs , or should I say looking at the pictures in the logs you come up with SO many ideals, you see one oohh I got to do that ,then you see another one and says I should have done that lol 😆 

The GAC  400 was easy the way I did it,  was brush on a good coat  on both sides of the sails. Then shape them into what I thought would look like wind. Then let them dry.  I also work on my sign , I just have to find a pearl for it.

20230106_162631.jpg

20230107_000955.jpg

20230107_193654.jpg

I had to hang my sails to see  how they would look, now all  I have to do is  the rigging,  then some straighting up ,flags and done.  Been a wonderful  journey on this one. Hopeing to improve on my computer skill, but that's harder than learning how to build ships lol.

Thanks for the support and suggestions along the way, greatly appreciated. I will try to improve my ability to navigate through the forms. Pretty soon I will be done my second ship, 6 more to build before I can buy a new one lol. 

I think my Pinta  is going to look cool beside my Santa Maria, but I will do three or four other models before I start the Nina, one never know . Thanks so much everyone.   :cheers:

20230109_165543.jpg

20230109_165913.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

Hello,  a small update on the painted one. The 3-hole violin blocks are on but not snugged up. The holes seem smaller and the rope is 3x the size of the holes lol, but they are on . The sails I like,  it was fun attempting something  new, I need to refine the process but I like the GAC 400, just got to learn better techniques but happy with my first attempt.  One thing I did wrong was I painted the sails,  before I knew about  GAC. You are supposed to use the 400 then paint the sails ,it shows up when there is light behind the sails, but they look good to me when there is no light source behind them. I will just position  the Pinta  in the corner of the display case and no one will ever see the light coming though it.

The rigging  and seizing  have come to a halt because I forgot to install the ,Maneuvering  racks laths on the main deck and bow, and the Manoeuvre holder laths on the stern.  Two different names for the same part. Must have to do with where they are on the ship.. Easy fix, but I got to cut the 2x2 ,then paint them, let them dry and then I be good to go.

I am having so much fun, my head is spinning with all these ideas I get from looking at logs. Not sure which model I will "crack" open next hint hint. lol.

But I will finish the Pinta first. Then decide which way to go from there.  So far the only thing I don't like about this hobby  is computers and spelling lol. 🤔 

As for the rest of it   I am in for life it's so much fun:cheers:20230110_151928.thumb.jpg.80aa9924b3067d5e8ca5d93a8fe45312.jpg

20230110_152005.thumb.jpg.07699e17c0318bf53873d2cf14512738.jpg

20230110_131918.jpg

20230111_110923.jpg

20230111_111311.jpg

20230110_153118.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

The finish line is close I can see it lol. All the rigging line are run , now just have to tie them off and add the rope coils. Also I will play with the GAC 400 on my flags as well.

Not sure where I want to put my sign for the Pinta, the pearl looks cool. I think I will wait till I put it in the display case before I make the final decision on where to put it..

So,I guess I will clean it all up, take some final pictures and call this done. It has been an amazing time for this log.  I almost gave up   because of my spelling and confusion on the computer, we even had a mutiny on the Pinta lol, was told get my act together,  learn the ways of the PC lol, but I am old lol. starting to understand  how it works and how to reply properly and not high jacking logs and forms??.  But I am really slow picking that up but I will make it  someday lol. Ok One more post or two I will be done . THANKS  everyone. 

20230118_114453.jpg

20230118_114539.jpg

20230118_115157.jpg

20230118_115741.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Typo of course

Well I am going to call this ship Finished.! 

I tightened all the rigging lines, then added the rope coils, flags and temporarily put the sign on  I need to put it in the display case before making the final decision on where to put it 🤔.  I just finished today and will put it in the display case later .

I have lots of people to thank, and will post one final time when she is in the display case  with the Santa Maria,  I can't wait.

Thanks all of MSW for putting up with my typos . As I move forward  I will try to leave the computer stuff to my son, who comes to my aid often lol, and just stay on course building ship lol

I added some pictures, and will clean the shipyard up, got an email from MSW to clean up my work shop. How did they know lol 😆 

All my thank yous and the final  FINISHED stamp that I will put on when the Pinta gets to her final resting spot. I just want to show her off a little first. I am very happy with the way it turned out. On to the next one lol.

20230118_193509.jpg

20230118_193542.jpg

20230119_114412.jpg

20230120_114256.jpg

20230120_121339.jpg

20230120_121350.jpg

20230120_121304.jpgI forgot this  one lol

20230120_133035.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
typos of course

you made a great job of her, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Well my second ship is finished. And I really like it, I can see the difference between the two ship ,the Santa Maria  was fun but frustrating because it was my first and I had to learn lots.The second ship was not as bad mainly because of the help I received here at MSW. So thank you all, to the  moderators who had to fix all my mistakes,thanks for changing things when I need too.

To @mrcc thanks for the tip on 

GAC 400, every time I use the product I will think of you buddy, .also to the people who take the time to do the logs @maaaslo all though his is a card model of the Pinta, his details helped me to see where things go.And  @igorsr his log was a big help for running all the rigging lines. Thank you all so much!!!!

So I took the Pinta up stairs for a couple more pictures before I put it in the display case.  I had to take picture before I put it in the case because the reflection was bad.

It looks great beside my Santa Maria though.

So my friends thanks for all your help so great full for showing me how to build ships, for all the like and comment's 

You see this log is all ready mark Finished,  thanks @ccoyle.

Well this one comes to a close , I promise my niece Hannah I would make her one so that's next. I have started the Mayflower  but when I finish the Hannah I want to make LA Nina  so I can finish the fleet of Columbus  ships . Ok thanks all who ever posted in my logs.

So THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!!

Bob M.

20230120_181543.jpg

20230120_181922.jpg

20230120_184532.jpg

20230120_185401.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

Way to go, Bob!  Nice work.  I'm going to have to stop by and see it in person!  

Clear skies and sharp tools, mate!

- Gabe

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

Nicely done Bob; glad to see you persevere through your initial tribulations.  They look great!

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

9 hours ago, Gabek said:

Way to go, Bob!  Nice work.  I'm going to have to stop by and see it in person!  

Clear skies and sharp tools, mate!

- Gabe

Yes we are going to have to do that soon.

Very well done, Bob.  Congratulations.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Well done, the ships make a nice couple. Love the significance of these seemingly insignificant vessels. 

Good to see you persevered and gained the experience! 

Super job, mate !   I'm seeing some advantages to modeling earlier ships ... no jackstays or footropes. 

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65