HMS Victory 1805 by kiwiron - Caldercraft - 1:72

Trimmed bulkhead 1 hole before gluing to test bowsprit fitting. Thanks to others for the idea, before it was too late. 

Vic.jpg

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Top gun port. Red pins to get the curvature of the bulkheads.

20220711_130957.jpg

Edited by kiwiron

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

I won't cry foul if you got help :D    .....I wish I did sometimes! :D    looking really nice.....great start!  so glad to see your back.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Bill, I spend a lot of time looking at Graham's and Roberts etc builds to see what to do. I hope with sanding, filler and thick paint to end up with something reasonable. Ron. 

The secret lies in using a good quality filler, careful sanding, then you only need light coats of paint😀.

Have you seen the treatment Robert did to the Quarter Galleries, Ron? Adding an extra layer of 0.5 mm thick strip around the windows makes a much better job of giving a slight recess to the frames when fitted. I've just finished this on my build - will be posting pictures soon.

Keep up the good work!

Graham. 

Closing in a bit. Cut planks until waterline then whole lengths as I will copper the hull. 

20220821_172618.jpg

Major sanding today, Happy with the hull shape now. Thanks Graham, I spend lots of time looking at your great build log.

20220828_175138.jpg

20220828_175157.jpg

20220828_175144.jpg

20220828_175153.jpg

20220828_175206.jpg

Inner port linings trimmed at the bottom. Onto the upper deck once I get my tennis elbow surgery done. 

20220830_203400.jpg

Found more broken parts. Quality control is poor. No answer to emails to Jotika but supplier of kit has been very good. 

20220831_201815.jpg

Hi Ron,

When I had a parts problem I found that phoning Jotika directly was the best method of contact. That broken part you have looks like the lower curved rail for the bow. Once fixed in place it's not under any load and is supported all along the back. It also will need trimming in length to fit properly. You might find that it is still usable...

Great progress with that second planking and squaring up the corners of those ports - keep up the great work! 

When I had problems with one of their kits they wanted me to deal through the supplier.  There wasn't any problems with getting replacement parts but they said it was easier for them to always deal through the suppliers.

Your build is coming along well Kiwiron.  I'm keeping an eye on it as I'm thinking of adding it to my list of future builds (if I can find the space) :) 

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

Thanks for the advice. Need to file my ports a bit more yet. The wooden part sheet is being sent. I was waiting for the Amati kit but no idea when that will be available. 

11 hours ago, kiwiron said:

Found more broken parts. Quality control is poor. No answer to emails to Jotika but supplier of kit has been very good. 

20220831_201815.jpg

If waiting for a new part is going to be lengthy why dont you use the broken part as a template and draw it on the remaining wood on the sheet. then using a table saw, or a hand saw, cut it out of the sheet and then sand it to the shape you need... there is nothing worse than waiting for replacement parts. I have had to do that a few times.. more for parts that went missing (wheels off a gun carriage that disappear into a carpet).

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild