New 18"x10" table top for the Byrnes table saw.

Well its been Twenty years since I purchase my Byrnes table saw. Brought one of his earlier one, when he first came out with them. Been happy with it every since. Felt like a kid waiting on Santa to bring my toy and put it under the tree. Of course it never did make it under the tree. 🤪 I did get a email from Jim saying that he was about ready to start mailing them out and not long after that the real boss sent me one saying it might be a couple of weeks out, and she was right.  I got a email from Donna, who is a outstanding Lady, letting me know that it was going to be a few week's longer before Jim  finally got them ready to be shipped out. Well lets say the next couple of week's were a lot like setting on pin's and needle's , and finally a big box arrived at the house.  It is a heck of a machine and has been the best investment in to the hobby.  Any way I saw Jim's new table top back in 2017, believe that when I noticed it, but wasn't till now July 2022, that I took my saw table top off and sent it back to Jim to be replaced with the bigger table top and it's outstanding, well worth the money and will get many years of use. Wish I had done this back in 2017 but some times a couple of months turns in to year's.  Its a outstanding  table top and not sure what else I can say and if you have the saw you know what and how good that machine really is. In fact all their machines are great. It really brings a lot more to the table and with the extra length one can put the sliding table on with out having to remove the fence, cut what you need, remove the sliding table  and go back to using you fence.  Its very easy to remove and replace the fence when using the sliding table before, but even better when you don't have to. Guess you can call me just a little on the lazy side. Donna was telling me about what they did to improve the table top  finish's which I have found to look nice but item's seem to slide easier on it.  Donna  said I was going to love the new top and she was 100 percent right. Of course didn't have the heart to tell her that I have been in love with that saw since I got it, hum maybe I did.🙄   If you thinking about replacing the table top then do it and if you can afford the saw get the one that has the 18 x 10 table top. Guarantee you will be a very very happy camper I am that's for sure. Another thing about Jim and Donna, great  great customer care and other then making outstanding machine, they really know how to pack them for shipping.  Gary

DSC_0673.JPG

DSC_0677.JPG

DSC_0675.JPG

Edited by garyshipwright

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/24/2022 at 8:38 AM, Decoyman said:

Or at least an extension before and after the fence to support longer, more flexible pieces.

I am sure I have seen someone post a picture of a Byrnes saw set into a work bench with the top flush with the bench surface. If I had the space I would do this to overcome the limitations of the relatively small table.

p.s. Does everyone keep the blade guard on? I found it was constantly in the way and removed it a long time ago ( I take a lot of care - famous  last words!).

Edited by KeithAug

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Hi Keith. As far as the blade guard I took mine off when I first got the saw and as you  said, one has to be  a lot more careful. To make up for the missing guard I use push stick's to keep my fingers a good distance from the blade. I also have a 10 inch table say but the guard stays on because it float's above the table and is also part of the dust collection.  Works' great. I did just order the thin strip saw jig for my Byrnes saw. Should give me a nice cut plank using it. I don't think I have seen any one putting the top flush with the bench surface, and would like to see how they did  it.  

Gary:

I think you have convinced me to get the large table for my original saw (2003).  I have a second Byrnes saw and will switch them around as I have the original set up for ripping and the 2nd saw set up for crosscutting.  

I noticed in your first photo that the Preac saw in the background seems to have some modification (or a fixture) next to the fence.  Can you provide and explanation and/or a photograph of the saw?  I had my Preac (1995) long before the Byrnes saw and I have continued to use it as there is just some stuff II consider too small for the Byrnes saw.  Always interested in accessories or modifications others have come up with for the Preac.

Take care,

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hi Kurt. I got my Preac in 2000 I believe at the Chicago NRG  conference or was it the the Mariner's Museum can't remember which one. Charlie was still with us and we talked about his saw and getting one.  Also meet David and Greg there with my daughter and misses. Believe she was 2.  Do remember some one wasn't happy that we had brought our daughter to the conference, but every thing turned out ok. I also went to the 2010 which I believe was the Chicago one. What your seeing is just a piece of wood that is setting between the fence and blade which is for keeping the blade  from cutting in to the fence. I did do one Mod to my Preac once I had all the pieces. My Byrnes saw came with the first mic that Jim installed on them which I got from him in 2002.   When I sent my table in to Jim I had removed the old mic and rail along with its brackets from the table and mounted it to the Preac. You have to drill holes and thread them for the brackets, which keeps the rail in place, but it wasn't to bad at all. It worked good until I sold it to a good friend who brought it for his shop. I had them set up like you have your's  for doing different cutting but I didn't use it much and figure selling it at a cost one could afford it, would be worth while. He also brought the hog and shipping which cost sometimes more then what you want for it just stop good folks from buying them if they lived to far away. 

Edited by garyshipwright

Gary; I recall your daughter was very well behaved at the dinner when we met. So was your wife, but I can't vouch for you!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks Druxey. I was sort of a newbe to the party and showed you a photo of my Richard. Of course some one forgot to tell me who the real ship builders were at that time. 😲It was a lot of fun and I will be glad when the NRG has another one in  either place, which  would make me one happy camper. Gary