HMS Winchelsea 1764, by Gary B

As a suggestion the plank joints should follow a consistent pattern that would always end on a bulkhead. The plans show this above the wales. I extrapolated a pattern from those and kept track of it as I planked the hull. 

Another of Chucks suggestions is to print out the bow cap rail templates from Chapter ten and match your bow to those now while it’s easier to make adjustments if needed

Nice work, you’re very thorough.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks Glenn. You are right and the plank's joints should follow a consistent pattern along with a pattern for when they installed the nail's along with the treenails  in to the planks, which depended on the width of the plank. As far as the bow cap rail templates, I printed them out and glue them to some pear wood to see if the bow was right. One good thing about adding the balsa blocks, one has more of a choice on where the joints go. One thing am wondering about is what is the length of the strakes them self? Well time to open a book and research  that one. Again thank you. Gary

1 hour ago, garyshipwright said:

what is the length of the strakes them self

They will vary based on the start of the bow and finish at the stern driven as dictated by the pattern. Check the length of those midship on the plans, the sheet showing above the wales planking. 

I’m sure you’ll sort it out, it does stand out nicely once planking is complete. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hi Glen. I always thought that the planks  used was depended on what they had in the ship yard which was from 25 feet to 50 feet and were the joint's fell depended on the ship wright who was in charge of building her.  I have looked at the plans but will probably go with how I want to lay them but Chuck's plan is a good start.  I do thank you for the info on how Chuck laid them out and will keep it in mind. Once again thank you good sir.  Gary

On 9/13/2022 at 4:28 PM, garyshipwright said:

Well good folk's if any one is interested do believe that I have finished chapter one and taking a good look at chapter 2 which should be very interesting. Hope you like the photo's of her as she stand's.  Didn't post to much of the gun ports and other item's with all the ones already being shown in the other member's build log's. Hope she up to you good folks very high level in your build's. She has been a joy so far in her build. Gary

DSC_0739.JPG

DSC_0741.JPG

DSC_0738.JPG

DSC_0741.JPG

DSC_0742.JPG

Always interested Gary. I could (and have) spend hours looking at your pictures. 

Clay

Thanks guys. At the moment am working on the wales and once I have them  cleaned up I paint them with a black dye. Figure  painting  them now before I add any more planking, would keep me from making a mess. Later will paint the gun ports red but have to figure out what shade of red would fit her time frame. So many shades to pick from, makes one head spin trying to get that just right. Again thank you guys. Gary

Hi Gary, 
I may understand you wrong, but are you going to paint the first layer of whale planks black? That's not necessary, you only have to paint the second layer of planks.

I think it's more necessary to sand the two outer stern frames thinner at the top, check the dotted lines on the plans of the stern framing.
It might be the picture, but in the picture the top of the outside of the outer stern frames seem a little too thick still. This will give problems with the positions of the outer two stern windows as I understand.

Frank.

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Hi Frank. No sir I painted the wale after adding the second layer. Didn't come out to bad. When I was talking about adding more planking, it was the planking around the wale. It can get real messy trying to keep the paint and dye  off of new plank's laid along side the wale it self. When I was working on Alfred I put them in two layer's but they was in anchor stock. A lot more time consuming that's for sure. As far as the outer stern frame's I just haven't got around to sanding them down yet to the finished side, but thanks for letting me know about it causing problems with the positions of the outer two stern windows.  I make sure they are not to thick. Thank you good sir. Gary

• 1 month later...

Thanks Greg and Ben. One thing is for sure planking her is a little bit of a long process.  Of course I start at the 2nd plank below the wale and got the first belt planked on both side's and when you would look at it head on it just was not up to par, kind of bumpy so I tore it all off back up to the wale and figure it couldn't hurt to start at the keel this time. Also I was going to plank her lower hull in Holly but the gray kept showing up, and just wasn't happy with it, so am planking her in boxwood. Also got myself a new propotional divider to help with the planking and using it is really making a big difference  with marking out the planks instead of tick strips. My first divider, used it for years that is until the tighten nut strip out and couldn't find a new one. O well one has to do what one has to do.

Edited by garyshipwright

You’re on your way! I just settled in for the long haul when planking Winnie, mine took five months. 

One plank at a time, every plank a project, I kept telling myself🙂

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Thanks Glenn you are so right. Only 4 month's left to go according to you time frame. I know only kidding. Spent a month putting on planks just to turn around and take all that was installed off in 15 minutes. Wonder if that set the record for the fastest time in removing planks. Ok Just kidding😉 Am having a good time and that's what count's. Gary

Thanks Frank. Guess that's me and deviating is some times good for the soul. It allow's us to show a different  side of the journey we take. I did mention to Chuck that I might be doing different item's a bit different, but try to keep Winchelsea changes on the small side. Always found it hard to do when trying to coping another's work down to the last nail so you will have to forgive me on that one. Gary

• 2 months later...

Hello good folks. Seems like I have been doing this for every, planking that is. Don't think it's to bad, not perfect, but planking was always the hardest for me when it came to building and planking a hull.  Maybe that's why I stick to building them, plank on frames, with out planking the lower hull.  Figure building Chucks hull gave me a chance to practice this part of the hobby. Not the best but that's ok. After a couple of month's, have manage to get 3 belts per side done, and  now facing what I believe to be the hardest belt to come. Looking at the landing of the counter planks and where the lower planks on the hull meet, will be a big test of getting the planking just right.  A sort of do or die I believe. Hoping that it will come out looking good but will have to wait and see. I have to line this belt off yet, which should be a big help doing it. Still a lot of sanding to do once the last belt is on and finally putting a finish on.  

DSC_0901.JPG

DSC_0902.JPG

DSC_0903.JPG

DSC_0905.JPG

DSC_0906.JPG

DSC_0910.JPG

DSC_0913.JPG

DSC_0915.JPG

That looks very good Gary.  It will be a relief once its all done.  Dont be afraid to sand the hell out of it.  

Chuck

Its fascianating to watch what a premier league player (I have no idea where you are based Gary: if you are in the US the premier league, just in case it's an unfamiliar term, is for the absolute top flight soccer players) - your Montague is gorgeous - makes of Winchelsea. I am following this log with keen interest.

Fred

It looks really nice Gary! I’m just getting started. Busy cutting out the bulkheads and bulkhead former. Planking seems a long way off at this point. 😆Thanks for sharing.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Thanks Jim. It's getting there and am hoping it come's out on the good side. Some time's I just have to push my self to go out to the shop to work on her verse just sitting in the house being a coach potatoe.  You will get there before you know it. Just take your time good sir and as Chuck said it will be a big relief once it's finish, the hull planking that is . Will be watching your build. Being able to look in on the other build's is a big help to myself and other's and for that a big thank you. Gary

• 1 month later...

Well good folks  after a few health problems with me and the misses the hull is finally fully planked.  Now it just needs a good sanding and a nice finish and hope all the work pay's off.  

DSC_0926.JPG

DSC_0928.JPG

DSC_0930.JPG

DSC_0932.JPG

DSC_0933.JPG

DSC_0936.JPG

DSC_0937.JPG

Edited by garyshipwright