Mariner's Astrolabe, full scale, AON

My last posting for this build.

An early quadrant.

first my inspiration

1584458189_quadrant1581-1626edmundgunter.png.d6dde163ccd49d3998e9d8cde9c3019b.png

then my finished 3D print.  I used a Japanese 50 Yen piece for the weight as it already has a hole in it and I didn't want to deface a coin.  The string is eye spliced at both ends, the upper part passes through a hole and flips over the post.  The lower is spliced through the coin.  The inset images are the sun and the moon.

809282882_1earlyquadrant.jpg.4778ae134806161ef266f6f67d8aa5b6.jpg

And that's all for this build.

Thanks for visiting.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Alan, you have made something very nice, well done. Also, you may have started something.

Here is an astrolabe that was illustrated and described in the Nautical Research Journal vol 2, issue 1 (1950):

sim_nautical-research-journal_1950-01_2_1_0006.jp2&id=sim_nautical-research-journal_1950-01_2_1&scale=2&rotate=0

sim_nautical-research-journal_1950-01_2_1_0007.jp2&id=sim_nautical-research-journal_1950-01_2_1&scale=4&rotate=0

An astrolabe is not on my to-do list (well, ok, you got me thinking about it), but there is an equinoctial sundial creeping up the queue.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Thank you Bruce!

The NRJ article in vol 2, issue 1 (1950) by L.H. Harding is an interesting read.

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

• 2 months later...

Hello Bob,

You missed a good Model Shipwrights of Niagara meeting yesterday.

Would you be building yours in metal (brass or copper plate)?

What size paper can you print on?

I can make a full size 2D drawing of a front view and side view of my model quite easily and will send it to you after I discover more of what you intend and can print.

Alan O'Neill

Here are some drawings I made this morning.  I will email them to Bob.

As I have the free hobbyist version of Fusion 360 there are things it will not let me do so some overall dimensions (from a corner of the object to the extreme end of a radius ) are missing. 

My copper pins were from standard house wiring  (16 or 12 gauge, not sure at the moment) and the alidade (pointer), hub, and retainer cap were sanded to fit together as a friction fit.  The pointer stays where it is pointing, it does not swivel freely.

If I were doing this again I'd make the pointer a wee bit longer and my embossed number angle) a wee bit larger.

Mariner's Astrolabe Body.pdf Mariner's Astrolabe Alidade.pdf Mariner's Astrolabe Cap.pdf Mariner's Astrolabe Upper Swivel + Ring.pdf Mariner's Astrolabe Lower Swivel.pdf

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill