Russian Su-33 Flanker D by CDW - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1:72 Scale

CDW

This will be excellent, never seen a Flanker D   but have seen a few  Su27s  in the flesh before.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The Naval variant!  Cool!

I'm in, pulling up the comfy chair...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

58 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

I’m in. 👍

56 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

This will be excellent, never seen a Flanker D   but have seen a few  Su27s  in the flesh before.

OC.

57 minutes ago, Egilman said:

The Naval variant!  Cool!

I'm in, pulling up the comfy chair...

Welcome aboard gents!

A preview of the parts trees and color call out sheets. Trumpeter provides every munition in the Russian arsenal in every aircraft kit.

The huge piece of plastic at the end is a carrier deck and blast shield. Nice touch.

34781DD2-372D-4982-A1F2-50FF81BB9865.jpeg

5B5398FA-F4FB-4AAC-9BEE-1259984049D4.jpeg

C46B386A-6DED-40BA-A04E-4FBE7B7EBBFE.jpeg

63CE3F13-57F3-49B4-B74E-35ECBF5944AD.jpeg

E362025A-4441-46AF-B1F3-2CB0A184EE9B.jpeg

AF63E594-1122-44F3-B7B2-BCF1626249EB.jpeg

18FA97B8-B2B4-4C10-AAF5-194E87D9DB3B.jpeg

6F070429-8505-41B1-BE2A-EA230DA47B81.jpeg

91F29CFB-1AF0-4202-8EC2-584538AC99D4.jpeg

Part Dio  Craig?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

25 minutes ago, CDW said:

Not sure I understand the question, but I will use the base, yes.

Just wonderd if you was going to do this one as a diorama  using part of the deck with  the blast screen?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I'm in too. This is a big bird. 👍

Seems Trumpeter really went to town on all the weapons. My Hasegawa kits all needed aftermarket weapons, most of which were more specialized to the period of the jet I model. A-7D Search and rescue carried LAU-7 rocket launchers and CBU-52/58 bombs. Need aftermarket. And Soviet/Russian jets. Rare, but better availability now.

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

Me too !

reclining-couch-smiley-emoticon.gif.7c1418c4f2928865c9a064001ab651a6.gif

1 hour ago, Canute said:

I'm in too. This is a big bird. 👍

Seems Trumpeter really went to town on all the weapons. My Hasegawa kits all needed aftermarket weapons, most of which were more specialized to the period of the jet I model. A-7D Search and rescue carried LAU-7 rocket launchers and CBU-52/58 bombs. Need aftermarket. And Soviet/Russian jets. Rare, but better availability now.

Welcome!

Su-33 is about the same dimensions as the F-15, yes, a large airframe. It’s nice they include most everything to give a good out-of-box experience. 1:72 scale aircraft kits are much better detailed now than they were not too many years ago. Hasegawa always drove the modeler to buy weapons sets.

you made my eyes go big when I saw this!  just so happens that I received two SU 27 Flackers @ 1:72 scale,  along with a Rafale A @ 1:72 scale a couple of weeks ago.  they were on the Old model kits site for so long,  and I wondered what was wrong with them..........I'm not a Jet guy,  but they looked so lonely :(   they came in the same box {wondered what that was all about}......haven't taken the time to check them out yet,  but they are Revell and the price was right.  

keen to see your progress :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

sweet that a dio base was included...........I usually make my own,  but they lack the detail you'll see with yours  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I'm in

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I thought I had them in my personal stock, but realized I needed to order the correct Mr. Color finishing paints to match the camo scheme. With that order behind me (and waiting for the products) my journey will begin with the cockpit as usual and then some detail work on the wheel wells and intake trunks. Hopefully by then, my paints will have arrived. When you take out the copious munition trees, the parts count for this model is no huge. At least half or more of the 300+ part count is for ordnance! And much of that ordnance will not be used in this build but will go in the spares box. 

One of the things I ordered ahead of time is a pre-cut paint mask for this model from a shop in Australia. It's in hand so once the paints arrive, I can go to town.

Standby, will soon be posting some photos of the cockpit pieces, albeit small and basic.

I am very partial to the Mr Color line of lacquer finishing paints. For me they just go down so much easier, are more consistent, and well behaved in the way they lay down on the model then level out without obliterating detail. I do have all the correct colors in Mig Ammo acrylics, but don't have the confidence I can do an equal job laying them down the way I want for this model. I need more practice with acrylic paints and each brand seems to have their own peculiar need for a correct amount of thinner to reduce them to an appropriate level for airbrushing.

37 minutes ago, CDW said:

I am very partial to the Mr Color line of lacquer finishing paints. For me they just go down so much easier, are more consistent, and well behaved in the way they lay down on the model then level out without obliterating detail.

Agreed, once you find a combination that works for a specific application, stick with it is what I believe... 

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

2 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Agreed, once you find a combination that works for a specific application, stick with it is what I believe... 

Not much is worse than building a nice model then getting a bad paint job on top of it. My success ratio is much higher with lacquer. This trend goes all the way back to my days of painting 1 :1 cars and trucks. I have always got better, consistent results with lacquer.

@CDW  do today's lacquers have the same volatile thinners/solvents as in past? Or have they reformulated them?  I used to use Floquil brand exclusively until Testors bought them out and killed the line.  I'm still looking for a replacement. 

Just now, Jack12477 said:

@CDW  do today's lacquers have the same volatile thinners/solvents as in past? Or have they reformulated them?  I used to use Floquil brand exclusively until Testors bought them out and killed the line.  I'm still looking for a replacement. 

They are just as volatile as they ever were as far as I can tell, but the thinner I use has a retarder built in that allows the paint to level out before it completely dries, and that leaves a beautiful level finish. You need a paint booth with an exhaust fan as well as a respirator. Since you've used Floquil, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. 

Scalecoat 1 is another lacquer based paint, Scalecoat 2 is an enamel line.  They have a proprietary thinner, too, although I believe generic lacquer thinner works, too. Version 1 can be baked if spraying onto metal, like for brass locomotives. Really hardens the paint. And both dry to a gloss. But, you must take the precautions Craig mentions. They have VOCs.

Another brand of lacquer paints is Trucolor. They have a wide range of colors, not all model railroad related. It thins with acetone. And dries to a gloss.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Just now, Canute said:

Scalecoat 1 is another lacquer based paint, Scalecoat 2 is an enamel line.  They have a proprietary thinner, too, although I believe generic lacquer thinner works, too. Version 1 can be baked if spraying onto metal, like for brass locomotives. Really hardens the paint. And both dry to a gloss. But, you must take the precautions Craig mentions. They have VOCs.

Another brand of lacquer paints is Trucolor. They have a wide range of colors, not all model railroad related. It thins with acetone. And dries to a gloss.

Mr. Color has a huge line of colors, hundreds. It would be nice if I knew how to mix my own for the various shades, but I take the more expensive (and lazy) way out by buying the individual shades I want. My vendor charges 2.50 per bottle. Postage varies with quantity, but I just bought 15 bottles where shipping was 9.95. I could have bought as many bottles as I wanted, and it still would have been 9.95, max.

scalehobbyist dot com 

When Testors Model Master was squashed, I was looking at Scalecoat II, my only problem is they are all keyed to railroads and their traditional colors... Then I found True North paints.... I can't handle the hard shell Lacquer style enamel paints cause of the VOC's otherwise I would have went there...

That's a great price for paints Craig... 

Quote:

Those are. I think Hobbylinc is down around there, too.

Ken

Determined to do this one out of box, the cockpit is rather spartan. However at 1:72 scale, not a whole lot will be seen once it’s finished anyway.

I picked out the side panel and control panel details in black, white, blue, and red. Then finished it off with a grime wash. The kit provides side panel and main panel decals but I decided to do mine with a brush instead of the decals. Builders choice. Next, it’s on to the wheel wells, speed brake internals, and intakes.

84A3D71E-AFC0-47C3-9EF6-FFE4D5C0FC7B.jpeg

680FF272-C27A-4A68-AD95-EAEED85785F7.jpeg

9317AB17-2E79-47EC-9EE6-433C56949AF0.jpeg

04E3CD11-E29F-453D-B0D1-EAEF5C622664.jpeg

That cockpit is really nice! I don’t know about the fighters but the Russian heavy jets have aqua blue painted panels. 

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

29 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

That cockpit is really nice! I don’t know about the fighters but the Russian heavy jets have an aqua blue panel painted panels. 

You are correct on the aqua blue. As I was saying in an earlier post, I put in an order for the correct colors in Mr Color lacquer, but it hasn't arrived yet. I cheated by using a blue-gray color I had on hand. In the not-too-distant future, I will be building a 1:48 Su-33 Flanker D by Minibase. This kit may very well be the most detailed 1:48 scale jet aircraft model ever made. At that time, I will give my complete attention to every little detail being correct, but this time, I am winging it, just having some fun with a small scale model. By the time I get around to doing the exterior, the correct lacquer paint colors will be in my possession.