Le Fleuron by Gaetan Bordeleau - FINISHED - 1:24

• 1 month later...

It's always a treat to see your progress and methods, Gaetan.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Stunning interior photos, Gaetan.  The work is a masterpiece.

Ed

Thank you for your comments.

Model-ship building  is a multi-disciplinary-art. You need to understand how to work with wood and metal, but ideally you should also try to understand how to present  your work, and photography is there to help us.

Photography also has  an important  part in model ship building. If this forum had any pictures  to show, the number of members would not be as much significative.  For reasons out of my comprehension,  this subject looks like to be taboo here. This forum is not about photography  but it does not mean that we should not talk about it or try to take better pictures.

Not a taboo but certain common sense rules so that there are no legal or ethical problems down the road.  There is an area for  taking photographs, techniques etc.  I have gone through it many times and it has helped me tremendously.

David B

Gaetan, 

There's a pinned topic in Shore Leave for photography.  I think there's more topics in that forum.   Those have been very helpful to me.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

gaetan, wow! what beautiful carving work

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

... such exquisite detail!!!!!  Surely this must be  full time endeavor?.....I hate to think this is actually possible after  spending eight hours a day at some other full time job / career?

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Just ... no words ... I'm still totally shocked :o

Joint building:

Brick de 24, 1/48, jointly with Jack Aubrey (POB from Ancre plans)

Works in progress:

USS Constitution Cross Section, 1:93 (POF bashed from Mamoli kit)

Completed models:

Santìsima Trinidad, 1/90 (POB heavily modified DeAgostini kit)

Genoan Pinco, 1/50 (POB bashed from Euromodel plans - my current avatar)

Viking Knarr, 1/72 (POF from Dusek kit)

• 3 weeks later...

Continuation

We have seen in few post an height adjustable table. It is particularly interesting when work while standing. An height adjustable chair is also helping.

Taking pictures also helps to see errors we would not note otherwise as in the last picture  which shows that there are still some adjustments to be made in the lenght of some parts.

post-184-0-83663200-1458354587_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-11523000-1458354598_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-12450200-1458354605_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-67529900-1458354612_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-76043500-1458354620_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-16125400-1458354633_thumb.jpg

The ship is a work of art and I swear I'm looking at a hospital operating room.  It's that clean.   Beautiful work Gaetan.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

This is truly a masterpiece!! What a display of the highest level of handcraft. Will be following this with much interest.

(And 2 video screens for amusement??? a workshop setting one can dream of :piratetongueor4: )

Hi Dee Dee

I have no 7D and no android tablet, I use a full frame sensor and  if I want to see it in live view I pass by an Eos utility program.

If I a want to see the picture taken, it is  done without wire. Eyefi mobi pro which is a SD HC card to store pictures also transfers pictures to Lightroom which are then viewed in full screen a Mac Book Pro. which is easier to appreciate the picture on a 15 inches screen than on a 3 inches LCD monitor.

• 2 weeks later...

Middle part of the second deck

Making gratings is just like working metal, it is almost faster to do than the set-up. The idea is to have a guide located at the same distance of 1 space  (the  thicknes of the wood). To get the correct thickness, 2 blades  are stacked and 1 pair of wise grip  is needed to unscrew the nut  by blocking the shaft.  A small curve is sanded in the gratings.

Most of the works recently done is still unglued. The drawings for the middle of the second deck are very inconsistent and incomplete so a lot of modifications are done  trying to think how the builders would have done it. Playing this ropleplay is very formative.

post-184-0-32561800-1459688605_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-18195300-1459688606_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-27370500-1459688607_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-24397100-1459688608_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-29353600-1459688609_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-30393100-1459688610_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-38877700-1459688611_thumb.jpg

Ed, it is never too late!

I think that the greatest joy of  a bigger scale, larger than 1/36

is the ease to hold small parts between your finger

Needing less concentration to hold the parts, you can concentrate more on the construction itself.

When you add these little details, the sum is close to the nirvana!

Also by magnifying the scale, you see bigger witout the trouble of wearing  magnifying glass. A bigger scale bring you closer  to the full scale.  Details are easier to see, you can introduce new details that smaller scale will not allow you.

What is mostly interesting a bigger scale allows you to think at scale 1-1. This is like opening new doors. One of the thing that you will see behind these doors is the joinery, you become more aware of how the wood parts would be assemble in real life.

Edited by Gaetan Bordeleau

Gaetan, you are right that it is never too late.  Of course Young America is quite large even at 1:72.  Everything you say rings true.  Every time I drop a small part on the floor I curse the small scale while looking for it.  I am sure the larger scale has its challenges in that more detail must be incorporated.  You have clearly mastered that.

Ed